Weather's all over the place :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thursday it smelled like snow, yesterday it warmed right up and it poured. Tonight we have high winds and torrential rain stoting off the windowpanes. No heating on since about eight o'clock (we switched it off because we were all too warm) and the house is still comfortable now after 1am. At the end of December .... :dunno:

I hope everyone's safe in the wind and floods.

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup, no long back from a day out with Bobs walking group at Calderglen - and it wasn't cald at all. was however bouncing off the paths with loads of impromptu waterfalls off of the rock faces. So was very warm but drookit when we hit the carvery for their Christmas meal. (After reporting a blocked path from a couple of trees that had blown down between Christmas and today. Still piddlin' down here in Glasgow. Back to the no doubt balticness of Perthshire tomorrow. Heating? Well thst must be a west coast thing as us Calvanistic East coasters dinnae turn that on, if it's cald we get out a candle, and if it's really cald we even think about lighting it.:rolleyes: as my mither used tae cry at me, "Cald, then put on a jumper." My dads idea of feeling warm was to make you stand outside in yer sark and when he let you in again you'd feel warm comparatively. Oh the fun of a Scotch livingroom.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

A family of sons of a Minister, and all five but one were Ministers themselves. The blacksheep brother was freezing and complained that it was hellish cold since they were all crowding around a meagre fire.
"Well you'll know soon enough!", replied his eldest brother.
"Aye, it'll jist be like being at hame; cannae get near the fire for Ministers", said the blacksheep :)

It only takes me about ten minutes to get to Calderglen :) it was a favourite walking place when the boys were younger :) Not brilliant for the foraging though, but the water sides are a lovely walk.

........I need to remove that joke, don't I ?

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:D

A family of sons of a Minister, and all five but one were Ministers themselves. The blacksheep brother was freezing and complained that it was hellish cold since they were all crowding around a meagre fire.
"Well you'll know soon enough!", replied his eldest brother.
"Aye, it'll jist be like being at hame; cannae get near the fire for Ministers", said the blacksheep :)

It only takes me about ten minutes to get to Calderglen :) it was a favourite walking place when the boys were younger :) Not brilliant for the foraging though, but the water sides are a lovely walk.

........I need to remove that joke, don't I ?

M

No I'd leave it up, a classic, true and very funny.

Calderglen is lovely with some great lichen growth that's worth a deco. Some great picture opportunities too, in amongst the rock faces it feels kind've prehistoric. I think about the only other thing I've foraged there were some lovely sweet yew arils. (Remembering not to crunch/swallow the wee seeds in the middle!) Though I'm still feeling slightly dizzy from going through all of East Kilbrides roundabouts. Like being in a washing machine that.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Last night was the worst weather ive seen this winter. First thing I did this morning was to check for any damage done.
Hope everyone is ok in the storm.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Storm? I don't watch TV so the weather about the place is something i'm not aware of... its a beautiful night here.... crystal clear skies, deep chill, slight breeze.... Whats going on else where?

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
It's just like that by me, but last night we had winds 80/90 mph. Reached 100 mph, in North Wales.
Storm? I don't watch TV so the weather about the place is something i'm not aware of... its a beautiful night here.... crystal clear skies, deep chill, slight breeze.... Whats going on else where?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My English cousin has conniption fits at all the roundabouts and motorway on and offs that we have in the central belt.
You just learn to drive them.....but EK kind of takes things to extreme :rolleyes: sometimes folks just keep birling round until they suss out the right off lane :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funny I remember the havoc it caused in Dundee when they introduced a double roundabout (or circles as they're cried there). The poor tumshie crunchers couldn't get their heads 'round it (never mind their cars). Traffic was stowed up all along the Kingsway - they have recently removed it. The accident rate has gone down considerably.

But I remember hitting Glasgow for the first time driving and it was a revelation. It was just so logical and easy to get about. Also being a grid system in the centre you could quickly orientate yourself and navigate freely, especially after years of getting lost in Edinburgh. Though it wasn't the only thing driving as the rain was abysmal. the first three months in Glasgow there wasn't a dry day. I really wondered what I'd gotten myself into.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glasgow now is a nightmare of one ways :rolleyes: but the prize of them all is Hamilton. One way system straight from the Machiavelli school of town planning :sigh: then they built a roundabout that has the worst camber imaginable down at the Palace grounds....you slope off right but you're going slightly uphill and left, totally against instinct....then...y'know ? East Kilbride's fairly straightforward :D

The rain it battering off the windowpanes here, I hope those further south who have the wind too are safe.
atb,
M

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
last night we had winds 80/90 mph. Reached 100 mph, in North Wales.

Aside from our brutally cold temperatures and the occasional blizzard, I think I much prefer our weather to yours. I have never experienced winds that powerful, and don't want to!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have had some beautiful calm sunshine sandwiched between the raging tempests. Sometimes it has been literally minutes between clear blue calm skies and gusts with hailing rain.

Monday was the worst so far in south wales. My kids travelled up to thier dads that day to staffordshire, and all credit to arriva trains they got them there. It took 6 hours to get as far as herefordshire, every line had flooding or trees on it, and main roads werent much better. Arriva really pulled out the stops to get people there.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The cleverest roundabout creation was that of the magic Roundabout in Swindon. When it was first designed and implemented tyres were emplaced instead of painted circles at first to represent the mini satellite roundabouts is has. After a bit the vehicles had shifted the tyres into traffic logical places and there the circles were painted along with the through routes.
_63126500_msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

Elen Sentier

Just had a lovely time translating the dialechtttts :). Got there I think, do love these Scottish posts :D. Glad to hear you're all OK up there, Auntie BEEB keeps trying to terrify us all but it has been "interesting times" as the Chinese put it. Tis very warm here too, we have calendula flowering, the hazel growing catkins and the comfrey flowering too - see pic below.

Herefordshire has had some gales but not as bad as some other folks. We just have the Lake of Gallilee in the farmyard outside (because the lazy farmer doesn't clean his drains!) which is currently receding until the next batch of rain. MetCheck tells us we'll have snow here in Jan ...

20131222_112440.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just been out filling the birdfeeders. Techinically it's not that cold (5degC) but the wind would cut you in two and it's perishing cold.
Good for a walk :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE