Wearing an essentials belt WITH a backpack..

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I use a small shoulder bag with an adjustable strap long enough for the bag to sit just below the rucksack's waist belt.
With the waist belt closed the satchel will not flop about and is to hand when ever you need something.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63434
The MKVII gas mask bag, Pattern 37 haversack, small and the German brotbeutel are all great and well cool because of their heritage.
The brotbeutel can also be hung low from your trouser's belt, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NVA-Brotbeutel.jpg.
Happy trails...torc.

DewDiffren't

Feb 26, 2011
Norfolk
The 'drop loop' pouch system was available on the old 'SAS Escape Ration Pouch' which is now very difficult to source. SASS at Lancaster used to fit their pouches with a drop loop, but then let it down with the PLCE type QR pouch buckles. Although I am concious that you are wishing to avoid webbing look, I am also looking for a similar item. By coincidence I sent an enquiry to Dragon Supplies yesterday. They manufacture webbing and offer a tailoring service. My thoughts are that one of their utility pouches fitted with a wide drop loop is just what I am after. Due to extended tours in theatres such as Afganistan, these companies are now supplying pouches in various colours, with the 'tan' option looking earthy enough avoid the overt military look of DPM. They are also available double-lined and with snow/sand hoods under the lid (like on a bergen) for extra protection if required. If a utility pouch is too big, then they also do ammuntion pouches with the same features. I await Dragon's response.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
One small note - I want to avoid wearing military style webbing or a vest. Looks way too tactical for me and I want to avoid that whole debate!

most military kit is availiable in olive (plain) green as well as camoflauged. would you consider wearing this?
if so, most of the military rucksacks are designed to be used with belts, i know the 100ltr bergen definatly does

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Wow, cool idea thanks! :headbang:

Cheers for the awesome ideas dudes! I would consider wearing mili gear, it's just the webbing vests and tac vests that I don't want to get into.

Hi Smith28

Am glad you like the youtube video. I posted it and was pretty surprised to find out that I was not the only one with this "how-to-carry-essentials-??" problem.
More details in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqxwu_YPh90

Am a tinkerer and engineer and would be interested to know what you think....

Cheers, SwissGearLabs

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I use a Lifeventure Belt pack, this is good for a LOAD of stuff like multi tool, fire starter kit etc and it has a belt loop that has a popper stud and velcro on it, so I can attach it to my belt, backpack waist belt or link it straight onto a molle pack as necessary.

HTH

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Hi Smith28

Am glad you like the youtube video. I posted it and was pretty surprised to find out that I was not the only one with this "how-to-carry-essentials-??" problem.

Cheers, SwissGearLabs

Thanks for the link Swissgear, very nice vid. I have ended up just using belt loops that are oversized so the pouch dangles down a bit, but I'm thinking of doing some tinkering to mine to make it possible to un-clip and clip on whenever I want. Thanks for the useful idea!

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Hi Smith28

Cheers, SwissGearLabs

Thats a nifty set up. I like leather, and always get a bit torn between making a possibles pouch and a true survival kit. I think if i was doing long distance trekking or being abroad then you system is key - if your truly in the sticks then you want a proper survival kit (with everyday use kit aswell), and I dont think I could squeeze my passport into my current leather possibles pouch!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Swissgearlabs
Thanks for the idea which I have pinched! I really like the ability to disconnect when appropriate. My blatant copy uses the maxpedition 4x6 pouch which I believe is smaller than yours. Keep the ideas coming.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
really like that a lot, cheers gonna try this too!

Will try with waterbottle on other side as well..

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Just a quick update.
I have bought a set of 5" TacTies from maxpedition and use these with the pouch featured in Swissgearlabs video. Allows quick disconnect from my belt but secure when in place.
Alan

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Just a quick update.
I have bought a set of 5" TacTies from maxpedition and use these with the pouch featured in Swissgearlabs video. Allows quick disconnect from my belt but secure when in place.
Alan
Ooo, any chance of a piccy mate? I'd love to see the details on it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE