We are all individuals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
None of the above - except an old SAK which I no longer use in favour of my Leatherman!

Everyone's take on equipment is different but generally you use what works and/or feels right to the individual.

Dr O

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
British Red said:
..is it like "gran force"..like the SAS but with hatpins?

Don't forget the knitted tea-cosy hat and the mac......

the only question is are the different colours different ranks or regiments??

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Laplander saw - Nope. Got a really good is a bit big locking/folding saw from a French suppermarket reduced to a couple of euros.
Crusader cup - Yes + cooker and bail arm.
granfors axe - Yes - SAF and mini
LK35 rucksack - Nope
sabre 45 - Nope
frosts mora knife - Yes
swiss army knife - Yes
woodlore knife - Nope
swedish military trangia - Yes

We probably need to add Zebra billies/teapot, frosts crook knives and those swedish folding cups.. Gilty as charged ;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
How many of these do you own: Laplander saw, Crusader cup, granfors axe, LK35 rucksack, sabre 45, frosts mora knife, swiss army knife, woodlore knife, swedish military trangia

SAK and mil. trangia.

Bothy well made and handy. :D

Nick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have most of the items on your list, as do so many here. And the reason is, when somebody posts a bit of kit as being good, folk tend to try it out for themselves. When enough people are praising a piece of kit for its design and durability, then of course others will get the same kit.

I owned an aluminium billy can, a friend got me it and asked for nothing in return. I loved it, it was my first billy and I could at last cook over an open fire and feel like I was doing it properly. After a while, I noticed more and more people singing the praises of the Zebra billy, and noticed that mine wasn't coming clean and scouring pads were ripping the inside apart. Also, the thin metal meant I burnt food very easily and had to check the fire heat and height of my billy constantly, and dents were becoming a major problem.

I decided a change was needed, and opted for the zebra due to all of the praise on here. It was a good decision as it is a brilliant billy in all its sizes, but unless you are alone and don't mind small meals, leave the 10 cm behind and go larger!

This is the reason we all tend to have kit duplicated by one another somewhere in our kit lists, but I don't own a Lapplander saw, I think they are too highly priced for what they are and my 3 quid version is just as good and secures in the open and closed position aswell.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I have the Crusader cup,have always had one.
LK35 Rucksack bought due to recommendations on here,brilliant for what it is.
Swedish Army cooker,again bought due to recommendations on here,find it to heavy duty.but then I prefer cooking on a open fire(mind you I do like the look of Waylands cookset)
Use a folding saw and axe from a Diy shop,Saw is okay,axe rubbish, need better.
Dont like the Mora or Swiss Army Knives
Would like to get a Sabre 75

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Laplander saw - Yes
Crusader cup - Yes
Granfors axe - Yes - SAF and mini
LK35 rucksack - No
Sabre 45 - Nope but Sabre 75 yes
Frosts mora knife - No but yes to Clipper
Swiss army knife - Of course
Woodlore knife - No. Clone - yes
Swedish military trangia - Yes

Not sure of the object of the thread but from the title it appears that you might think that if we own the listed kit, we are just blindly following fashion in a 'buy only designer goods' kinda way. You might be right, but as Spammel said, if somebody recommends the kit, then you're naturally going to consider it and probably buy it if you're in the market for it. An example is my recent purchase of a Nanok bag. So many people said it was good kit, I simply ordered one a) 'cos I needed one b) it was highly recommended by loads of people here and c) the price was right. I think this is one of the objects of the forum. I have also bought stuff which probably no one else would buy, like from Millets and stuff from Mountain Warehouse.

If we were true individuals, we probably wouldn't even look at the kit forum.

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I just can't see the point in the thread, unless it is a pop at kit folk without actually saying anything and letting those who post condemn themselves as not being individuals. Not really much point to it otherwise.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Laplander saw - no, but have a tesco's own as i don't need it that often
Crusader cup - no, have a s/steel insulated mug
Granfors axe - no, but have a non branded axe
LK35 rucksack - No,as i don't think i'd get away with having any more rucksack's, already have five of different sizes :lmao:
Sabre 45 - no
Frosts mora knife - no, but have a good lock knife
Swiss army knife - no, don't see the point of them
Woodlore knife - No
Swedish military trangia - no

i'm not the kind of person to buy named brands just for the sake of it, mainly as i have a low budget for my gear so i have to choose a good cheaper version, unless there isn't a cheaper version then i'll save for it(mainly big item's of kit)

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Laplander saw - No - Just a cheap folding saw.
Crusader cup - US Military cup
granfors axe - No
LK35 rucksack - No - US Military again
sabre 45 - No
frosts mora knife - Not sure if its a frost, but do have a mora
swiss army knife - Yes - Many
woodlore knife - No - too expensive :eek:
swedish military trangia - Yes - one for each family member.

Laplander Saw - Yes
Crusader Cup - Yes have one on order
Granfors Axe - SFA and Wildlife Hatchet
LK35 Rucksack - No
Sabre 45 - No
Frosts Mora Knife - Yes have stainless steel version on oder for a coastal trip
SAF - No
Woodlore Knife - Yes with neck sheath
Swedish Army Trangia - Yes

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I won't say anything about copying using good kit, already nuff said.

Laplander saw
No - But I do own a cheaper version.

Crusader cup
Yes

Granfors axe
No

LK35 rucksack
No

Sabre 45
No - But I do own a Sabre 60-100

Frosts mora knife
No - Clipper

Swiss army knife
Yes - long before I knew how to spell 'bushcraft' - when I was young lad. IMHO it's a privilege to own a knife. It's something we should uphold and defend.
By giving a knife to a young person you show them you have faith they will use it wisely. Of course you should inform and guide them about rules and safety aspects.
This way they learn to use it as a tool, not a weapon.

Woodlore knife
No - But I have a AW knife, and it's not a Woodlore clone ... well ... for 50% it's not :)

Swedish military trangia
No - Far too heavy for my liking, though I have a Trangia burner :D

EDIT:
BTW: Welcome to the forum Wilekayote :D Hope we see you more overhere! Why not introduce and tell something about yourself in the Introductions & Welcomes section? ;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Only the SAK, that's because no other manufacturer makes the same item with the same quality but I do find myself using my multi-tool more often than a SAK these days.

I do have all the other stuff but made by different manufacturers. That doesn't make me more individual though it just means I found an alternative brand, usually at a lower price. Of course you can't get much cheaper than a Mora but I figured I'd like something a bit more expensive, but much cheaper than a Woodlore.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Laplander saw - Yes
Crusader cup (with a Warthog 1981 lid :) ) - Yes
granfors axe - Yes
LK35 rucksack - No
sabre 45 - No
frosts mora knife - Yes
swiss army knife - Yes
woodlore knife - No
swedish military trangia - Yes

It's all practical kit.

cheers,
Toddy

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have a few sak's and my knife maybe a mora ( I bought it 25 years ago, lost it and found it again two years ago), but I do own a zebra billy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE