Waxed Cotton Jacket serious filth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I was thinking it might do the job well/ acceptably is all- its a recipe I make a lot so theres always some kicking about :) Just basically lazy I guess but I think it helps me learn how different 'ingredients' behave if I try to mix them up into new things... and the cost of the Barbours dressing is added incentive ;)

Well it won't......white spirit is for cleaning paint brushes & thinning paint, unless you want to transform your cotton items into rags keep the w.s. well away from them:(.......................................it's not too kind to wood either when you use it in your polish mix, try using turpentine (distilled pine resine) instead, smells better & less toxic.:)

Sorry to say that home made oilskin dressings don't work a well as manufactured ones but if you don't care about the garments then give it a shot............Originally they were coated in linseed oil (which has certain disavantages ) until a new dressing was developed in the 30's......which is more or less the same formula used today......

& NEVER throw white spirit down the sink.:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the melted candle and mineral oil one, apart from a slight 'Eau de cute baby and vanilla', it worked very well.

I agree about the turpentine, the real stuff.
I can buy a five litre can of the stuff for under £20. That's a *lot* of furniture polish. Smells wonderful too :D

If I know I'm going to be at a meet where folks want some, I'll happily buy a can to share out, like a kind of liquid group buy :D

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
... like spontaneously combusting, I guess! Thats all a huge help, folk, I'll use turps instead.

I never throw stuff away anyhow, but whats the craic with WS and drains? Turns caustic like lye with fat?

Ha ha ! no, not spontaneous combustion.........linseed oil was used as it was also put on ship sails, from which the original oilskin clothing was made from............linseed oil not only turned the fabric yellow but became very stiff in the cold & wet, hampering the wearers mouvements....................
White spirit is very toxic & the water and waste industry have great difficuties removing petro-chemicals from the sewage. It also kills the micro organisms used to clean the water.
The greater the difficulties in purifying water, the higher your water rates will be:p......I have a sneaking feelling you're going to tell me you make your own water :)

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Linseed oil was also used in the wartime gas capes,(dont know if thats all that was put on them)they did'nt see any action for that reason but there are pics of them being used as rain capes.So it must work ok.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...White spirit is very toxic & the water and waste industry have great difficuties removing petro-chemicals from the sewage. It also kills the micro organisms used to clean the water.
The greater the difficulties in purifying water, the higher your water rates will be...

This is true of ordinary household bleach and many other cleaning products as well. And old meds flushed down the drains also kill some of the micro-organisms. Coupled together (or singly) they also contribute to mutation of didease causing organisms making them resistant to anti-biotics.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Linseed oil does work, but, and it's a big but, it not only smells but it's a slow drying oil, and as it dries it's exothermic, that's when the issue with burning comes in. It can remain sticky for a long time too and the smell is incredibly hard to remove from fabric ( I still have a length of silk I can't use because of the smell. A delighted boatbuilder found it in a bag (mine, left to be picked up the next day when I went back to Uni for an afternoon lecture) and discovered that it was brilliant for wiping on linseed oil on timber, it didn't go all hairy :rolleyes:
It's been washed, dry cleaned, aired, hung out for a week and it still smells unmistakeably of linseed oil :sigh:

I'm sure the linseed oil is better for the environment than the paraffin stuff and mineral oils, but y'know, one makes life easy and is very straightforward to renew and repair.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Now really look at the jacket. If it has paint on it, you're unlikely to get that off. If it has been bleached or is very faded (shoulder/forearms, backside polished if someone's used it as a farm machinery jacket) then you won't get rid of those marks. If it has frayed tears they can be repaired but they'll always look like a repair...

There is a point beyond which it's not worth saving; But before that point is reached, there is also a certain amount of character to be had from honest wear marks.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Linseed oil was also used in the wartime gas capes,(dont know if thats all that was put on them)they did'nt see any action for that reason but there are pics of them being used as rain capes.So it must work ok.

Yes it did work Ok .....but there wern't many alternatives at the time apart from tar.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the smell of linseed oil fine :) just not on a silk skirt....or my denim jacket, or a handspun, handknitted jumper.......the boatyard can be hard on my clothes :rolleyes:
The Stockholm tar's worse though :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Wash the jacket hard and with plenty of detergent so it is beautifully clean, then buy a tub of Barbour's wax and re-wax it, a warm day outside in the sun will help.

If it is a Barbour they offer a reasonably priced clean, repair and reproof service, well worth the money, it comes back like new.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
So, Suburban Bushcrafter, will we be treated to 'before and after' restoration pics? Your threads been extremely enlightening for me, too! If I can't swap my large antartix (sadly outgrown), I might butcher it up into a bag and re-treat it using an ungodly brew from BTW, Toddy and everyones suggestions :)

dumpster burb1.jpg

Here's the before picture, sorry about the quality - this forum software doesn't seem to like blogger.
Better pic here http://suburbanbushwacker.blogspot.com/2011/10/dumpster-dived-burberry-jacket.html

The jacket has been through the washing machine [cold no detergent twice] and is currently soaking so you may even get a half-way photo in a couple of days work permitting.

Turbogirl: really looking forward to seeing your new bag!

SBW

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
So, Suburban Bushcrafter, will we be treated to 'before and after' restoration pics? Your threads been extremely enlightening for me, too! If I can't swap my large antartix (sadly outgrown), I might butcher it up into a bag and re-treat it using an ungodly brew from BTW, Toddy and everyones suggestions :)

What's Antartix ?.........nowt un-Godly about Barbour's thornproof dressing ;)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Agreed, nice jacket for a skip find fo'sure! That lining looks pretty mint actually :)

Mines an Antartex Country barbour-alike, I'm taking it to the upcoming Rough Close midlands meet in the hope of swapping for a beginners knifemaking or leatherwork book, pref with lots of pictures... unless any interest on this most helpful thread of course! (apologies if I shouldn't have posted this, lemme know if I've done another noob breach of etiquette mods, wasn't meant to offend)
387648_2391534542215_1066438695_2713071_1567935929_n.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE