Waxed Cotton Jacket serious filth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've just acquired (from a dumpster) a waxed cotton jacket, it's got years of use left in it, but it honks! the linning is caked in grime. I've read that it shouldn't be cleaned, but seeing as these jackets have a service life of 50 years or so I just cant accept that. have any of you washed and then re waxed one? What results did you get? or should I just cut the linning out? did you come up with another solution?

Thanks for you help
SBW

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I've never tried washing one, but can't honestly see that there should be any problems doing so. It might make a mess of the washing machine though, so perhaps you should wait till your wife is out before you bung it in.

Make sure and use the proper stuff (Barbour Thornproof Dressing) for reproofing it and I reckon it'll be good as new afterwards.

Cheers
Joe

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It is the detergent which is the problem, eroding the wax barrier in the cotton. You could try washing it in luke warm water but without detergent. That should loosen the dirt enough to get rid of it. Then maybe sponge off any remainder.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you do wash it, do by hand.....not the washing machine, it may damage the coat & I'll leave it to your imagination what all that oil & wax will do to the machine.
Wash in luke warm water too, as it will probably shrink a little in anything warmer......

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Give it a couple of washes and re-wax or as Widu said get a £20 job off ebay; having owned a Barbour and an el cheapo I can say they both keep the rain off.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep, chuck it in the washing machine. I did it to an old Drizabone that was damp and mouldy, you just need to re-wax it afterwards, make sure you have enough wax to hand! I used a brush to apply the wax and finished off with a hair dryer for a 'factory' finish.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Did you use a prepared wax or is that as simple as rubbing a wax block over it, brushing it in and heating gently? I'm interested in treating (cotton) fabrics for waterproofing so that sounds a brilliant trick!

Usually you use a wax dressing (which is in fact a mineral oil & parafin wax mix) which comes in tins that you heat by standing them in a pan of hot water & when liquid you rub it in with a cloth then finish it with a hair dryer if you don't have hot sun.:) to really help the wax melt in evenly.
Many companies make the dressing but Barbour's thornproof dressing is prehaps the easiest to get hold of.

The fabric has to be very tightly woven, even double weaved (as most heavy weight oilskin fabrics are) to be waterproof.......it's good stuff but it can't work miracles.;)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Usually you use a wax dressing (which is in fact a mineral oil & parafin wax mix)
Mmmm, I use a 50% each white spirit and beeswax by melted volume for furniture polish... I might have to have a play but I think a burn test may be in order before spending a night next to a campfire!

It should be similar behaved although I guess very cold weather would stiffen the resultant fabric far more- if I get probs, I'll substitute some parafin wax (unless you warn me that I'm about to produce a chemical bomb in my overenthusuatic noobness ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Mmmm, I use a 50% each white spirit and beeswax by melted volume for furniture polish... I might have to have a play but I think a burn test may be in order before spending a night next to a campfire!

It should be similar behaved although I guess very cold weather would stiffen the resultant fabric far more- if I get probs, I'll substitute some parafin wax (unless you warn me that I'm about to produce a chemical bomb in my overenthusuatic noobness ;)

No worries parrafin wax is not flammable.:)........though I'm not sure what you're on about....you don't treat a waxed cotton coat with furniture polish:confused:......

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
you don't treat a waxed cotton coat with furniture polish:confused:......
I was thinking it might do the job well/ acceptably is all- its a recipe I make a lot so theres always some kicking about :) Just basically lazy I guess but I think it helps me learn how different 'ingredients' behave if I try to mix them up into new things... and the cost of the Barbours dressing is added incentive ;)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I washed my Britton jacket (20 years old) in the machine no problem. I find the wax spray easyer than the wax in a tin.

Mark

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
The washing stripped out most of the original wax so I just re-waxed with genuine Barbour wax, it was cheap, a large tin £1 from boot sale :).
I believe that if you want to wax other cotton garments they would need to have a tight weave.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically it's a bombproof jacket.
The linings though, they get damp and soak up filth and sweat.

First; brush it. Really, really brush it, inside and out. Use a nail brush if you don't have a good clothes brush.
Then soak it in cold water with the tiniest wee amount of fairy liquid.
That'll loosen any clamped on dirt and if you move it about lots that will help the gunge to come off.
Put it on a hanger and put it outside to dry off.

Now really look at the jacket. If it has paint on it, you're unlikely to get that off. If it has been bleached or is very faded (shoulder/forearms, backside polished if someone's used it as a farm machinery jacket) then you won't get rid of those marks. If it has frayed tears they can be repaired but they'll always look like a repair. If the lining is shredded best to just use it as a pattern and make yourself a new one.

If it still looks worth saving, then either use the laundrette as you suggested, or see if you can find an amenable dry cleaners.

Both process will really strip the wax from the cotton, but it's the best way to get a clean slate to start from again.
Re-wax as suggested. Hang it above a radiator if you don't have a hairdrier, the tumbledrier works well but you need to clean it out afterwards with thiners to remove the wax coating on the drum :rolleyes:

Paraffin wax is the stuff that cheap candles are made from. Sometimes they add a wee bit stearic to harden them though.
Mineral oil is baby oil. You can (gently/carefully) heat both and mix if you are really, really being tight about money.

Personally I'd dump the filthy lining and see about making a woollen one.

Best of luck with it :)

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE