Washing a waxed jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have been given a long generic 'duster' waxed jacket. This thing has come with a smell that is all its own and is pretty dam ripe!

Anyone ever washed one and more to the point what did you use? It is a case of wash it or burn it or just let it wander off on its own to live wild in the woods.

Its a modern one from the 1990's; i have to hand Tech Wash and TX-Direct wash in waterproofer.

Thanks

Sandsnakes

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm confused. Is it a "duster" or is it "waxed"? Dusters were simple linen or canvas full length coats (with no waxing) meant to keep the dust off your good clothing when traveling by horse or buggy on dirt roads (and later by motorcycle) If it's a duster then you can wash it (cold water only)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Couple of gentle washes in the washing machine then fresh wax and a quick blow over with a hair dryer; its worked well for me for a number of years.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I used whatever detergent is in the house, Bold or Daz usually. I'm sure somebody will come up with reasons why I've done it wrong all these years but its worked for me.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
I've just looked at the washing instructions on mine (made by Bushtrader).
All it says is, "Hang on line and hose"! :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Only wussies wash their Aussie drover coats,:D ...I bought a long drover's coat off the bay that had spent 2 years working in Oz.......to say it smelt is an understatement,..completely impregnated with mature bodily fluids, it would embarm a room & even out side, you could smell it from yards away. I nearly fainted when I took it out of the box when it first arrived...

I didn't want to 'alter' the coats history but there are limits. As you don't wash oilskins, I simply turned the coat inside out, hang it on a line & repeatedly sponged with warm soapy water the lining & interior of the coat, let it dry & responge...after about a week of this, the 'earthy smells' started to wane, ....hosed down the exterior & reproofed......kept it's rugged charm & authenticity but with only a fraction of it's original perfume

Though it still pen 'n' inks a bit, I rather like the smell, though not for the fainthearted:D:

There are 'copies' made from polycotton or Gabadine type fabric for those that like the outback/western look but prefer to smell of fabric freshners.

Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Only wussies wash their Aussie drover coats,:D ...I bought a long drover's coat off the bay that had spent 2 years working in Oz.......to say it smelt is an understatement,..completely impregnated with mature human fluids, it would embarm a room & even out side, you could smell it from yards away. I nearly fainted when I took it out of the box when it first arrived...

Dear Timberwolf

I am happy that the purchase of an item that was pre-saturated with the ripe odor of other peoples manliness left you with deep satisfaction ;-)!

However my partner has a sense of smell and unless I want to end up living in the shed, its me, the coat or a good wash for both of us. I shall retain my sartorial elegance and social acceptability. What I can say is the thing in the state it is now is a femme fatale for every male dog in rut in the area who wants a quick :censored:.... I shall go for the wuss option and resist the mating call of assorted mongrels of West London.

Up to my elbows in tech wash!

Sandsnakes

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Dear Timberwolf

I am happy that the purchase of an item that was pre-saturated with the ripe odor of other peoples manliness left you with deep satisfaction ;-)!

However my partner has a sense of smell and unless I want to end up living in the shed, its me, the coat or a good wash for both of us. I shall retain my sartorial elegance and social acceptability. What I can say is the thing in the state it is now is a femme fatale for every male dog in rut in the area who wants a quick :censored:.... I shall go for the wuss option and resist the mating call of assorted mongrels of West London.

Up to my elbows in tech wash!

Sandsnakes

Haha ! .............I had wrongly hit the 'post quick reply' button instead of the 'go advanced' one, so hadn't finished my utterings...... I can understand you wanting to remove cartain aromas especially living in London...:D

You'll have to reproof it after washing if you want it to be rainproof.......I suggest Barbours thornproof dressing, easy to find,efficient, cheap & not too pongy.;)

I should add though that the genuine Aussie coats are working garments....although stylish they always have a distinct smell which range from 3 in 1 oil to a dead animal depending on it's use & the type of wax/oil dressing applied.

Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I went for Grangers Fabseal in the end, and it worked a treat. Decided that i did not want to leave grease smears from the Barbour wax all around the house... I may be a wuss, but i am an odour free wuss!

Sandsnakes

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I went for Grangers Fabseal in the end, and it worked a treat.

Oh dear.......if you use it in the rain you're going to find out why you use wax to proof a 'waxed' jacket ' & not a sealant:eek:
You'll also discover that what works for a fly sheet doesn't nesseccarily work for a garment...;)

As for getting oil stains everywhere in the house, it's only a problem when freshly waxed.though it's always best not to sit on a sofa or in your plush car seats when wearing an oilskin,.....but it's not the type of coat that you wear around the house anyway,......................................normally.:rolleyes:

I can see now why some manufacturers make polyester copies....:D

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Timber,

Maintaining my wus status is almost an art form. Did walk through a thunderstorm and was dry-as-a-bone after, so who knows, it was a silicone for cotton based garments, I will keep you posted. 'The Adventure of an Un-Waxed Coat in Suburbia' the thrilling adventures of Sandsnakes damp coat!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Timber,

Maintaining my wus status is almost an art form. Did walk through a thunderstorm and was dry-as-a-bone after, so who knows, it was a silicone for cotton based garments, I will keep you posted. 'The Adventure of an Un-Waxed Coat in Suburbia' the thrilling adventures of Sandsnakes damp coat!

Haha ....nice one, didn't know there was a Fabsil for cotton garments so I've learned something there.
It's not stopping the rain getting in that's the problem, but letting moisture out if you wear the coat for any length of time.....but maybe your Fabsil is microporus.:D
I spent my formative years in suburbian London so I realise that long smelly, greasy coats just arn't acceptable..;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE