Waxed Cotton Jacket serious filth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I have cleaned the inside of mine a few times using a jet wash on low power, and once using a fire hose (and a quick spray on the outside, slightly deflected so i don't 'strip' the wax)

first up washing it, start with a straight bucket of hot water and snow flakes to knock the worst off, been known to hose mine off before now to make it clean enough to bang into the washing machine, or just keep going with the bucket of warm soapy water.

the worst thing that will happen to that jacket is the wax will come off and so will all the crud. you cant hurt barber jackets

to re wax the jacket afterwards is also very simple to do as well, either buy shop brought or make your own, i am a bee keeper and on another forum i have a massive sticky of what to do with bees wax from candles to furniture polish and any else in between,

you can either use straight bees wax and just rub it on and then because it is sitting ontop of the fabric we use a hair drier to get it to stick to the fabric to soften bees wax we ONLY EVER USE TURPINTINE, either pure or copied we never use white spirits or any thing like surgical , just turpintine , i would suggest as a starter as a basic soft polish style we would go for a 1/3 mix.

so warm up a sauce pan with boiling hot water, put some thing in it to hold the wax before , durring and afterwards say a wide mouthed jam jar like a peanut butter jar, this is what i use for home made polishes for home but tins to sell off

add to the tin your bees wax, just to keep it simple for maths we will use 200grams it the ratio you want not the weights or volumes exactly then melt it in the hot water when its melted add to 100gms of turpintine liquid and mix like mad for 3 mins untill it starts to set and cool,

thats it that simple, if you want you can add extras like essiencall oils so it smells nice or try a 50 /50 mix linseed oil and turpinetine to make it slighty tacky,

any way rub it on just like boot polish and flash over with a hair drier.

if anyone is intrested in the bees wax stickly let me know and i will concider shifting over to here as well, but be warned it is massive and i am not re editing to suit you, pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE