Wax canvas tarps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I was thinking the other day, never mind a waxed canvas tarp, I would not mind a smaller waxed canvas cloth to wrap items in that can be strapped to a rucksack or to sit on in the woods as against the plastic bag I generally use.

Reactions: mimo

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Not sure if this helps, but given the general weight and unhandiness of waxed cotton, it might be worth looking to see if you can find a Tatonka cotton one. Works just great and mine looks like new (well, more or less) - bought it in 2006.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I can thoroughly recommend Scott at Thornhill UltraHeavy. He makes fantastic canvas tarps/leather gear. U.K. Based and a pleasure to deal with. He has an ebay store or you can contact through Instagram also for bespoke pieces.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not sure if this helps, but given the general weight and unhandiness of waxed cotton, it might be worth looking to see if you can find a Tatonka cotton one. Works just great and mine looks like new (well, more or less) - bought it in 2006.

Yeah, I love my tatonka's, my big one got ripped part in big winds last year :blue::aargh:

Dariet

Apr 22, 2021
Copthorne, Crawley
I keep seeing Bushcraft Spain coming up on Etsy, never used their gear but it looks good, and cheaper than tentsmiths, otherwise you could go the DIY route, plenty of waxed canvas fabric on ebay, look for meadium weight or greater than 7oz.
I own their tarp, their "shelter cloth" and the merino wool blanket. Everything tip-top and brilliant customer service. Just wait a bit for a sale, like I did
N3E3Wpe.jpg

nvtrW7Z.jpg
GKnRxH9.jpg

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Aloha everyone! It’s been a while.

I would suggest a Coalcracker Bushcraft 8x8. Been eyeing it myself. But will hold off a little bit since I just bought a Filson Journeyman backpack and a new EDC Benchmade 940-1 carbon fiber.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German Warei Zeltbahn (M31 / M34) as well as the younger identic French and younger different but very similar triangular Swedish, Austrian and German tent sheets are pretty handy if we talk about a group of 4 people that doesn't really count to spend much time in the tent.
The Warei Zeltbahn had approximately the weight of 1 kg and can be used as a rain jacket too. As it was very long the only issued camouflage pattern item in the German personal equipment it served as well in this function in WW2 when the gray-green uniforms didn't cover enough, and was often used as a light overcoat.

So far, so good, the Swedish ones are still available, not everywhere and easily but one can find them.

(The replica with reversible Waffen SS camouflage pattern I wouldn't buy, as I see myself that club still pretty critical, and I am quite unsure if my grandfathers wouldn't stand up out of the graves and start a zombie attack should I wear SS uniform patterns.)

Different to the historic triangular tent sheets I don't see the point with the triangular cotton tarp in the photo above, and always would prefere a rectangular cotton tarp as a solo shelter, because the relation of weight and covered space is significantly better. The rectangular tarp as lean to shelter is simply the best option if we talk about cotton and solo shelters.

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Has anyone here bought an Oilskin Tarp from 'Bushcraft Spain'?
I'm contemplating getting a 3m x 3m as they seem to have excellent reviews... I am just wondering if I'll get stung for import tax?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Has anyone here bought an Oilskin Tarp from 'Bushcraft Spain'?
I'm contemplating getting a 3m x 3m as they seem to have excellent reviews... I am just wondering if I'll get stung for import tax?
You'll (probably) have to pay VAT and the paperwork handling fee (grrr), but import duty is only applied on things over £135, so depends on the cost of the tarp.

Reactions: Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE