Waterproof jacket for everyday use in the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
So I'm in the woods today running a Forest Schools session and pretending to 3 groups of 20 children that my 2 year old Rab (which has been thoruoghly abused as a softshell shouldnt be) is still waterproof in the pouring rain and that my morale is still high, when in fact I am soaked to the bone and feeling rather sorry for myself (Queue sound of the smallest violin in the world playing just for me).

So I start the seemingly endless search for a jacket (at lunch) that google and bushcraft forums all have sooooo many opinions on.

I need a jacket that is actually waterproof and can be next to a fire or charge through a bush, but isn't too warm.

Budget is between £200-300 range.

But here is the kicker, it can NOT be military or camouflage; as i work with predominantly Army children and I dont like to resemble the military that can often be a cause of distress in thier lives.

Thank you for your help.

rg598

Native
Arcteryx Alpha are great jackets. I have one of their Beta jackets, which is a stripped down version of the Alpha. It packs very small, is light, an is completely waterproof. I've also had it in some rough terrain without a problem. It is very tough.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I need a jacket that is actually waterproof and can be next to a fire or charge through a bush, but isn't too warm...Budget is between £200-300 range...it can NOT be military or camouflage..."

Not for everyone I'm sure, but this combo works for me...

Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt with a Woolpower 200gm top beneath and a reconditioned Barbour Durham (with liner cut out) worn over that.

I wouldn't wear that in the mountains but for bimbling around the forest, sitting around fires etc. It works for me.

Look on Ebay for the Durham, lots to choose from.

:)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Ridgeline Roar jacket (and trousers for that matter) are well within this price range and very very waterproof and tough, synthetic but thick and "brushed" so should be ok by a fire. A bit sweaty when exerting yourself but they should be OK for standing around, teaching etc. They come in dark olive green and a mid brown and don't look even slightly military. The trouble with most normal outdoor gear is that it isn't up to hard wear in the woods. This stuff is.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
Thanks for your help, I'm sure questions like this are fielded all too regularly so I value your patience and opinions.

Sandbender where did you get your Barbour reconditioned? For how much?

rg598 like the look of the Arcteryx Alpha but the colours are a little bright. Saw a Fjallraven one that looked similar which I may try out.

Nonsuch had no idea ridgeline even existed as a brand they look fantastic but perhaps to warm trying to find a shop that I could try on the Ridgeline Monsoon which is the same with less warm material I think.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's a couple of Swazi Tahrs on ebay at the moment, if you like the look of the Monsoon but want better breathability then have a look at the Tahr.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Sandbender where did you get your Barbour reconditioned? For how much?..."

I bought it new in 1987 and reconditioned it myself about ten-twelve years later. You can buy the wax and patches from Barbour. Alternatively you can send it to them and they will do it for you.

There are often many of these jackets to be found on ebay.

They used to do a version without a liner which I'd owned previously, they are now only available with a tartan liner which is a pain to unpick/cut out, however because the jacket is made from their 'flyweight' waxed cotton removing the liner makes for a much more packable jacket.

barbour_durham1.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
A multi purpose jacket is a tricky one, but for what your describing there I'd be using a heavy weight oilskin, in dark green. Costs a lot less than your budget, can be used next to a fire, it heats up and gets soft if you get too close but sorts it's self out when you move away again. It can be held inside out in front of a fire to dry off condensation and can be worn just over the shoulders if sat in front of a fire in the rain as a cape. Can be hung over just the windward shoulder on warmer days, can be put on the ground as a ground sheet to sit. Good quality oilskins rated for work have a flame proof rating. 100% water and wind proof.

I have literally hundreds of days doing manual work outside, over munros in the wood hanging around on drafty cliffs and all at sea, all done in oilskins, sometimes in very poor weather, so I can't see past them. If I could have only one jacket it would be my heavy weight PVC oilskin.

£300 would get you a good double ventile or any number of fancy jackets, but for bumbling round the woods 8 hours a day an oilskin won't be beat. You'd also be making the perception of the outdoors more accessible and affordable by wearing understated and significantly lower cost kit in front of impressionable kids. In this era of gear freakery thats a good message to convey.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
221s.jpg

Reviewed by Sandsnakes as follows

Castle Clothing Airflex Jacket.

This is designed for use on the farm so is designed to take s*%*! Basically it is a goretex analogue shell covered in a soft p.u., unlined so ideal for layering in the cold and wet. Tough, very waterproof and breathable. Very quiet does not make a noise when tracking. I have actually gone for run in the rain for 8 miles in this and dam me...it worked!

Available on the net for under £25 which is stonking price for something that works!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Excuse me chaps. Im looking to get the Ridgeline Roar 2 Jacket, but struggling to get the correct information about its pockets.

Main website says just the 3 pockets. scottcountry claims it has chest hand warmer pockets, BCUK review says it has 7 pockets.

Could someone who owns one clarify what pockets it has, any inside pockets? On the pictures, I can only see 3 pockets.

many thanks chaps!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I had a Ridgeline Roar II for a while then swapped it. It has a couple of shooting coat style hand warmer pockets either side of the chest, then it has the usual lower pockets. I think it also has a Napoleon pocket under the flap. The lower pockets are no longer bellows-style and therefore will not hold cartridges or any amount of other stuff.

I always preferred the Ridgeline Roar I jacket and still have one of those - hood was a bit awkward, but the lower pockets had bellows.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thank you Nonsuch! I actually don't like bellow pockets so I think this coat should suit me just right.

Many thanks for replying.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi I've the ridge line monsoon make sure you get the sizing right as im an xl and when i rang them they recommended a 4xl which when it came was the right size
its only phone call i hope this helps regards dave

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
Thank you all for all your help. Still waiting for work to release my kit money, but all your input has been invaluable in helping me make my decision, will post a phot when I get it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE