Water purifiers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Most outdoor stores that flog the Iodine tabs also flog the Chlorine tabs. Chlorine tabs are quite safe as that is after all what is in the drinking water that comes out of your tap at home and is the main reason why life expectancy has shot up in the 'civilised' world in the past 100 odd years. Personally I think they taste better than the iodine too. I belive that Iodone may be more effective against the real nasties that dwell in far flung places, but I don't think that'll be a problem for most of us in daily useage....

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Good job i read this as i was under the impression that most water was suitable to drink after boiling. It seems that foolishly this is a subject i have neglected.
can anyone tell me about collection of water?, ie i know that a flowing source is best if the source is pure and that a lake is good too. I thought that just boiling would be fine for these sources is it?. Most of the places i visit don't have an obviouse source of water though so would digging at the bottom of a slope for water and large puddles of rain water with mud floor be ok when filtered and purified or filtered and boiled?
Ps, if you do find a stream how far is far enough to check for carcasses etc?I realise that every source will have it's own circumstances but is there a rule of thumb?

RGRBOX

Forager
tagnut69 said:
I have one of these http://www.katadyn.ch/site/int/home/outdoor_products/our_products/endurance_series/pocket/
Only used it once, so cant realy say how good it is yet. bloddy expensive though

I use the same system, and have found it to work well. I try to stay away from all of those tablets etc.. just for the fact, that I don't like to consume most of it... Boiling water is great, but it takes energy to do... A couple of years ago one of the US tactical gear brands was working on a "Survival straw" that was said you could stick it inside a dead animal,and it would filter the water from it.... :confused: I saw it in Nurenburg, but they never brought it into production... that would have been interesting if it would have worked... anyway... The Katadyn Pocket filter willl filter around 15,000 liters of water.. I carry the Mini which will do around 7,000 liters... I haven't gotten there yet.. but will keep using it until it quites... I've sent a lot of them to different countries with people to use.. and as of this moment.. no one has complained...

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
addyb said:
And so....I'm in trouble. I desperately need to find some sort of purifying tablet to use in my tin, but I don't know what else is available considering how little room I have in it.

Have you thought about the Katadyn MP-1 tablets. They are said to be effective against all types of nasties. Widely availabe in the US for about $13 for 30 and available on EBay. There's an article on them on the Equiped to Survive site

http://www.equipped.org/watrfood.htm#WaterPurification

RGRBOX

Forager
Stevie said:
Have you thought about the Katadyn MP-1 tablets. They are said to be effective against all types of nasties. Widely availabe in the US for about $13 for 30 and available on EBay. There's an article on them on the Equiped to Survive site

http://www.equipped.org/watrfood.htm#WaterPurification

Stevie... is you avatar Chateau Chillion???

Anyway, there's a company here in Switzerland that sells them... I'll have to get back to you with the name... Kundert Vario is their name.. I carry the katadyn tablets in the samll medicine bottle version.. 100 tabs or 25.90 Chf... good for 100 liters.

M

Mooney

is it possible to buy the millibank bag on its own?, i can only find it with iodine for £20+
Would it be better to buy the larger version, even for solo/ couple camping?

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Has anyone seen this?

PLUS_RK2.jpg

the 'AquaStar' UV water purifier. it uses two camera batteries and threads straight into a Nalgene wide-mouth bottle.

it got really positive reviews on http://www.backpackgeartest.org

this might be my next big splurge

leon-1

Mooney said:
is it possible to buy the millibank bag on its own?, i can only find it with iodine for £20+
Would it be better to buy the larger version, even for solo/ couple camping?

You will probably be able to get a millbank bag cheaper than that you could try here for a start, but most of the time you see them with the the tincture of iodine included. If you don't want to use it in your water it may be a handy edition to your first aid kit.

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
RGRBOX said:
Stevie... is you avatar Chateau Chillion???

Anyway, there's a company here in Switzerland that sells them... I'll have to get back to you with the name... Kundert Vario is their name.. I carry the katadyn tablets in the samll medicine bottle version.. 100 tabs or 25.90 Chf... good for 100 liters.

Yes it is, I grew up in Montreux and quite often we'd go swimming by the chateau, it's a great place.

That's an excellent price for the tablets :eek: , that's about £11.50 for a 100!!!...have to check to see if they will ship them over here

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
tetra_neon said:
Has anyone seen this?
The UV purifiers are tempting. You might also consider the SteriPen, which the same site gives an equally good review. It uses AA batteries, which are often easier to find and the SteriPen will work with rechargables. If you already use CR123s for your torch it probably doesn't matter. I use AAs in my GPS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE