Water filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonmx23

Nov 30, 2009
wallsend
I am planning a trip up to Scotland in the summer. First of all I would like to know if I used a water filter could I drink water from a loch, Second is what do you think the best gravity water filter is on the market. I have read things about it filters so many parts to the million or some thing like that. Any help would be great.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I rate the Aquaguard eliminator. Its light, compact, good value and stops most nasties. I run mine on a Source widemouth bladder as an inline or gravity purifier.

You can drink from most water sources with it, but the cleaner the water the longer the unit will last. I don't drink straight from any water unless I know its clean. If I'm getting water from a typical loch, say Loch Lomond then I just boil the water for a brew

The best purifiers on the market are the Sawyer ones IMO; they have a high flow rate, tiny pore size and will just about last forever. Expect to pay well for them though.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have just swapped a great item its called the Lifesaver bottle. I have never tried it myself but reports say they are top class. I'm trying to source a couple more and will put them up on here.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I spent some time in Perthshire a few years ago visiting a friend. They have what the estate agents called a "private water supply".

While I was there, the water stopped coming out of the taps, so we investigated. That meant basically tramping through several muddy fields to find an unsealed manhole cover over a hole in the ground which filled up with water when it rained. This was the source of the private water supply.

We lifted the manhole cover, and immediately found out why the water had stopped coming out of the taps. There was a dead frog stuck in the pipe opening.

You'll be fine with boiled loch water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE