Water filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I already have enough hiking style filters/bottles, but want to get an upgrade for my overland truck camping sorted. Originally I had looked at the lifesaver jerrycan, but fact is the thing is horrifically expensive for what it is. A nice build I saw recently made use of a Sawyer filter, with a hoseline and a 12v pump to do all the work. This meant you just drop one end into your water source, the other end into a water can and come back when the 20L are done.

Would anyone recommend any filters instead of the Sawyer? I'm after an inline style, that filters out the full 99.999% everything job, weight and size doesn't matter due to it being vehicle mounted, flow rate isn't a super issue either. My three requirements are the filters everythig for safety, it's inline so I can fit hoses, and that it has some stupid million+ filter lifespan.

Thanks all.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
They all seem expensive the one advised by Dave Canterbury

Seems to cost between £250 to £280 but will last a long time

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
I already have enough hiking style filters/bottles, but want to get an upgrade for my overland truck camping sorted. Originally I had looked at the lifesaver jerrycan, but fact is the thing is horrifically expensive for what it is. A nice build I saw recently made use of a Sawyer filter, with a hoseline and a 12v pump to do all the work. This meant you just drop one end into your water source, the other end into a water can and come back when the 20L are done.

Would anyone recommend any filters instead of the Sawyer? I'm after an inline style, that filters out the full 99.999% everything job, weight and size doesn't matter due to it being vehicle mounted, flow rate isn't a super issue either. My three requirements are the filters everythig for safety, it's inline so I can fit hoses, and that it has some stupid million+ filter lifespan.

Thanks all.
Now we are talking my area of in depth knowledge.

Am I currently working on a 12v water filtration system for myself that will have a pipe to drop in any water supply
And give clean safe drinking water

Looking at around 250 to 300 build price if your handy with a knife and don't mind doing a little bit of 12v wireing

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I have something similar at the moment, 12v inline pump operates off my power system. One side a short pipe that runs direct to water storage. The other end is a removable length of hose that's around 10m or so, at the end is a small mess filter to stop any large debris. I just drive close to a water source then chuck in the long hose and fire up the pump.

Up until now I have just poured water into one of my filter bottles and then use that for drinking water. I'm now wanting to just have prefiltered water good to go. As a short term fix my plan is to make up an adapter to fit a hose length onto a water2go filter. Then hang that into my water tank, the first mess filter will deal with any particulate, then let the water2go filter do the cleaning.

The pump I use at the moment is a low flow rate 12v job, only does 5/6Lpm. But the way I see it is I am spending far less actual work time, I can flick a switch then walk off while it does the work.

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
I have something similar at the moment, 12v inline pump operates off my power system. One side a short pipe that runs direct to water storage. The other end is a removable length of hose that's around 10m or so, at the end is a small mess filter to stop any large debris. I just drive close to a water source then chuck in the long hose and fire up the pump.

Up until now I have just poured water into one of my filter bottles and then use that for drinking water. I'm now wanting to just have prefiltered water good to go. As a short term fix my plan is to make up an adapter to fit a hose length onto a water2go filter. Then hang that into my water tank, the first mess filter will deal with any particulate, then let the water2go filter do the cleaning.

The pump I use at the moment is a low flow rate 12v job, only does 5/6Lpm. But the way I see it is I am spending far less actual work time, I can flick a switch then walk off while it does the work.
The system I am working on
Dump a pipe in the water
Pure clean water out the other side
Relatively simple
I've been testing the test jig now for close to a year and it's still performing well on the original set of filters.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
The system I am working on
Dump a pipe in the water
Pure clean water out the other side
Relatively simple
I've been testing the test jig now for close to a year and it's still performing well on the original set of filters.
Sounds like what I have running at the moment, Just need to get a filter madeup for the output end. But Ideally I am aiming for something that is fixed inplace inside. That way it will only have a single moving part with the river hose.

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
Sounds like what I have running at the moment, Just need to get a filter madeup for the output end. But Ideally I am aiming for something that is fixed inplace inside. That way it will only have a single moving part with the river hose.
Okay so what you need is a 12v pump set you back around 40 for a good one
Pipe out to put into river water
Pump to 5micron filter
5micron to gac filter
Gac to RO membrane
Waste water pipe out the bottom of the truck
Inline uv filter
Carbon filter
Pipe from carbon to water storage tank
That's how mine is setup
In the gas cabinate of my caravan but I am useing this as a test jig for a long term overland project so want to be sure everything it safe.

Useing this I get water as 0ppm contaminated
I need to send it off for proper analysis but I've running these filters for 12months at about 50l a week so not heavy use and there still comeing out at 0ppm

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't get it. Maybe I missed a point but what's the advantage of being tied to the vehicle?
We've had annual spring village water treatment issues for several years now.
Every once in a while, I'll buy a 25 liter Reliance brand water can Full price, about $25.00CAN which is approx 15.6 BPS. They're sort of square so they pack better in the back of the Burb and sit nicely on the counter in my kitchen, well away from any vehicle. I can fill up from a potable water delivery in minutes. 5 x 25 liters is a substantial amount for drinking and food prep.

There's all sots of ranches and farms in the valley. I can drive out to any of them for good well water if I had to. Probably been in the ground since the ice age melted back 8,000 years ago here.

Never trust the taps. Always set the jugs upright when not in use. The leaks normally don't start until after you have gone to bed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bump

I have an opportunity to pick up a cheap LifeSaver Jerry can

Good bit of kit or not?

Feedback appreciated.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Would anyone recommend any filters instead of the Sawyer? I'm after an inline style,
Thanks all.

I love how versatile sawyers are

i had an old pump filter that was £5 froma camping shop, so i put the prefilter on a tube on one end , and the pump on the other with sawyer inline,

with all the adapters and tap connectors, what cant a sawyer do, great for adding in line or even as a second ins erial to otehr setups....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE