water and Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Hi all,

next week I'm going to Norway with my girlfriend. to enjoy culture, to see what the country is like and probably mainly to enjoy the Norwegian nature. there is only one problem that is running around in my head for a few weeks and that's: water!
For the people who have done some multiple day trips in norway I ask you what your experience is, concerning water. When I go out camping in the netherlands water is almost no problem. or we dig a waterwell, or we take it out of streams and purify it with tablets etc etc.
the main question here is: is water in norway mostly drinkable straight out of the lake/river? and if not how to identify drinkable water. or are there water taps around?
already thanks in advance for the adivice

Greetings geuf

Last edited:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi Geuf,
Well, Torjus, C_Claycomb, Elma and I just got back from a good few days in Norway drinking straight out of the mountain streams and lakes with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The only streams we avoided were the ones that stained the rocks red from so much iron deposits. Mainly for taste really.
I'm sure Torjus will be along in a while to give more detail, once he finally arrives home!!

Enjoy the trip!

Neil

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
As ever, it pays to be cautious - I've been to Norway several times on diving trips, but have always boiled 'collected' water just to be on the safe side (having said that, I must have drunk a fair bit while diving.....).

Depending on where you are and at what time of year, available water might or might not be melt water, but it' s best to follow usual good practice and take water from fast flowing streams, as high up the flow as is reasonably possible - there is as much chance of a dead animal in a stream in Norway as anywhere else :)

Failing this, nearly all petrol stations we've used in Norway have an outside tap which you can use to fill a water carrier.

You'll have a great time - Norway is a spectacular country (it's just a shame the beer is so expensive!).

best
Matt

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
thanks for all the advice. I'm getting mixed signals from diffrent people. one might say it's safe to drink and anotherone might say you always have to boil water before you drink it. for example: you never know if there's a dead animal upstream. or if someone has dumped some human waist further down. if you know what I mean.
on the other hand, I have never heard about bad experiences from people drinking straight out of a river / lake in Norway. but I want to be cautious and collect as much information concerning this subject. I've once been ill from drinking bad water from a bad bad stream and puking the baaad bad water out. it was a horrible night and I'm not keen on experiencing that again. once again, thanks for the feedback and any feedback still is welcome!

Geuf

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I wouldn't drink any water along heavily used roads, directly downstream from population centres, major agriculture or industry. Also the risk of bacteria is probably greater in coastal areas. Otherwise use the rule: If it tastes or smells bad, don't drink it. Most smaller streams in Norway should be perfectly fine though. I have never gotten ill.

The dead animal infected stream thing is so rare that it is much more likely to die from the famous car-crash. Live a little.... :D

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE