using the life straw water filter in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
after tests at home and very close to home i then had a need to use it in the wild

this is the one i use https://lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw

i can safely say that the water filter needed to be in use yesterday as i run out of water when out exploring, as mentioned in my previous post

the water tastes fresh and you would not know it came from a stream and is far superior to contaminated with chemicals tap water

the caveats are

being careful not to accidentally knock over the water container whilst squeezing the water collector

not to squeeze too hard or the water collector could burst a leak

they are slow and gentle thus patients are needed

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
i forgot to add that with this style of filter and the sawyers and-such

they do need back-flushing which a syringe thingy is supplied in the kit

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
oopsy :rofl:

you are correct i do mean "patience"

thereby i am not going to correct in the post as the correction can be seen in my answer to your query :wink:

No problem, I had a mental picture of people rolling on the ground in agony after drinking your filtered water, and it gave me a giggle.
It's easy to make a spelling error.
For me, I use a milbank bag to prefilter water, then a sawyer mini followed by a boil.
There are newer and better milbank type bags on the market now, but my old second hand one still works just fine, so I havnt upgraded, and it can be used on its own, with a boil afterwards, if the sawyer packs up, gets lost, or broken, for any reason.
One is non, two is one. Always have a backup. Milbank bags weigh nothing and take up no room so it's not a big deal to carry one in your kit at all times.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
No problem, I had a mental picture of people rolling on the ground in agony after drinking your filtered water, and it gave me a giggle.
It's easy to make a spelling error.
For me, I use a milbank bag to prefilter water, then a sawyer mini followed by a boil.
There are newer and better milbank type bags on the market now, but my old second hand one still works just fine, so I havnt upgraded, and it can be used on its own, with a boil afterwards, if the sawyer packs up, gets lost, or broken, for any reason.
One is non, two is one. Always have a backup. Milbank bags weigh nothing and take up no room so it's not a big deal to carry one in your kit at all times.
thank you i will look into the upgraded millbank bags as a backup

one thing to note is not to let the sawyer or life straws style filters freeze or they come not fit for purpose

i always blow the excess out and shake well when on travels then back flush blow out excess and shake well before storing for next trip

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have a surplus Millbank but don’t use it for drinking water. I don’t think it was ever used for fuel….

I have the fairly cheap helikon one that seems okay. Although the whiskey and curry powder maybe killing the bugs anyway. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE