Wasp removal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Can anyone give me some advice on getting rid of a wasp's nest in the garden?

My problem is that they have built a nest right next to the fish pond inside a plant and all conventional wasp killer is toxic to fish and pond life. I can't just leave them as the pond is right by the kitchen, barbecue and outdoor eating area.

I have tried squirting them with diluted washing up liquid as advised on YouTube, playing a garden hose on them, and smoking them out with damp paper. I even squirted lighter fluid over the area and set light to it. Result: damaged plant and warm but clean and happy wasps.

Any suggestions, short of moving house, welcome.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wheelie bin liner - put over entire plant. Squirt in large amount of 'wasp killer spray'. Leave bin liner in place for over 24hours.

Probably best to do this with some buttoned-up clothes on. Hat and an old net curtain over your head, gloves on hands. Looks stupid but better looking stupid than in "%$^£$%^& pain from wasp stings.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Carefully place 3 tied together Guy Fawkes night "bangers on nest, light and retire... No don't that was a joke.

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Can't chop the involved part of the plant and take it elsewhere? After smoking them (makes them dizzy) and properly protected. Not an expert myself, anyway.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Sem-tex...:eek: Or get a professional in and get them killed off properly, in years gone by you could by Cyanide to dust the nest with, but not too good around fish.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sem-tex...:eek: Or get a professional in and get them killed off properly, in years gone by you could by Cyanide to dust the nest with, but not too good around fish.

Funny I was talking of adventures had using Cymag (Cyanide dust) last night. Scary stuff.

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Why kill them? Just take them away. The plant will grow back again. Their lives won't. And their niche is worth keeping.

BATMAN

Forager
Mar 9, 2012
Scotland
photography-c2a6-the-end-of-business-old-man-with-a-double-barrel-shotgun-by-danielle-tunstall.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it nerdy that I know that he has 1/4 and 1/2 choke in there? :eek:

Nest over a fish pond is always going to be a problem. Best bet is a full bee suit, gauntlets and something to carry it in - remove it and deal with it elsewhere. Petrol fumes will work (not burning it - just the fumes).

Without a bee suit to move it, no easy answers spring to mind, sorry

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Smoke them goood, chop the branch and put in a disposable cloth bag. At the angry buzz, drop and leave. They will find their way out of yours.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I would pay for a pro and watch for any balls ups from afar . I'd rather lose the money and have a giggle . Than be stung by an angry nest again. As a kid I was duped into putting a stick into a hole . Only as I did it the others ran away . I turned back to look at the noise coming from the stick & hole and realized my hands and chest had a fair few wasps on them . They stung the hell out of me and eventually started on my face . Then going for my eyes . I was in agony and spent the night on a drip .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE