Making rope from rushes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a really neat job Toddy. I made some cordage from yucca years ago but it didn't look as tidy as that.

Thank you :)
I demonstrated how to make cordage every day for weeks on end at one point; after a while the stuff just twists up for you.
Best advice I'd offer is make good preparation of your fibres.
We can all make up something quick in a hurry or at need, but to do it for long lengths needs decent materials to hand.

Fiona and I added up one day; between us we had made cordage from over fifty different native plants, and they were all sound. From hemp and flax to iris leaves, from the seaweeds to the tree barks and the fine thistledowns.
They all have their strengths and some are definitely better than others for certain tasks, but finding out is part of the experience of making and using them :D

I do wish there were more threads on cordage here, more 'craft' work.
There are a lot of very capable people, but they're kind of shy about posting their work.
I reckon that if I show mine, flaws and all, then it opens up discussion and we all learn :)

Mesquite, thank you :) and I agree, it is satisfying to make :D

atb,
M

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great stuff Toddy! A nice clear explanation for folks. Not too shabby at this from days pleating hair and splicing steel cables on skylines. Never made a rush rope though, but will give it a go as I'm surrounded by the stuff.

Might even have enough for one of these!;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Crack on, Lad :D

How cool is that though ? :D Why could we not make one ?

I didn't know you used to splice the high wires.....I keep threatening to create a rope and knotworking group in Scotland. There's an ad hoc one around Des Pawson down in Dorset, and there are huge ones in America, but I think more than half the fun is actually seeing what other people make, and how they do it.

Robbie up in the N.E. demonstrates grass rope making, and there are a couple of others at farming events. PatrickM has a superb amount of really incredibly well made cordages that he has built up over time. Some of the basketmakers, Fiona MacDougal, Julie Girr and Geoff Forest, for instance, make and use their cordages all the time.
There are the fishermen who make nets too, as well as the nets the ferreting folks make for rabbits.
Lot of information and capable people out there, sometimes I think it'd be good for us to have a meet up :)

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Skylines were a dying art in the UK but have made a wee resurgence in places like the Great Glen and Kinlochleven. Been a long time since I've done it. Belzeebob's the rope man when we're away. He has a natural knack for it, and I get a bit fuddled with knots unless I'm practicing them these days. Pleating I'm OK at though.

I think unfortunately that building a grass bridge in our H&S conscious country would be asking to get sued. But would be fun. Friend who was in Peru says that it's a communal thing, and if a village doesn't contribute labour/materials then they don't get to use the bridge.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They look terrifying on Axe men - but I suspect that's played up for the camera :)

My mate said my face was a picture when he let me watch an episode of that at his house. I was open mouthed and speechless at the lack of safety then showed towards ALL tasks. They are a dangerous thing, but if you're careful and trained they make a heck of a difference on steep ground and well worth it. (I also think they "up" the jeopardy in these programs)

How come we don't seem to have a history of bridges like those here though ?

The ones in India, from the growing trees, those are incredible :D :D

http://rootbridges.blogspot.co.uk/

Knowing our lot though, they'd just fell a tree and drop it over the burn and call the job done :rolleyes:

M

I suppose in times gone past they would have been used in certain communities here in the UK (Like Carrick-a-Rede in Ireland) But they're quite terrain dependant I suppose. But you may be right on the log chucked across the gap idea though:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
david1; Very well. We knot the ends to keep them secure in the weave of the kishies. The twine knots easily too. I make up friendship bracelets with a celtic knotwork pattern from the rush string and the ends are knotted.
It's not a hard, crisp rope, it's a firm, smooth, pliable one.
Made up into a six strand from three lengths it becomes a good pulling rope that doesn't scrape hands to misery to use.

cheers,
Toddy

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
my Dad used to use hemp for ropes, but alas we all use man made now as arborists. but
I do like the look of your rush rope I look forward to giving it a try this summer.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The twine knots easily too. I make up friendship bracelets with a celtic knotwork pattern from the rush string and the ends are knotted.
It's not a hard, crisp rope, it's a firm, smooth, pliable one.

I'd love to see one of those Mary, any chance of posting a few pics of the weave etc please?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We can still get real manilla hemp rope, but it costs a fortune. There's a lot of stuff claiming to be manilla but it's just fine quality sisal :(

Down nearer you, if you're got a real interest and time, either John Kemp or Des Pawson (or Seagull on this forum and BB) are all very capable knotworkers with inspirational work :D
I wish I lived nearer, and I'd love to do courses with them :cool:

Rushes are very simple; they're easily found and no one hassles if you ask to collect them. It's a nice clean rope to make too, it's not even dusty so there's no health issues. A very good rope to start with as well as a practical one to use.
Makes a really good Neolithic knotless net too :approve:

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd love to see one of those Mary, any chance of posting a few pics of the weave etc please?

Measure around your wrist and I'll make one up and post it to you :D

I think I'd be better drawing out the working than trying to get photos :dunno: it's pouring here again :sigh:

atb,
Mary

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If anybody in East Sussex wants to pick some rushes, we've plenty here! I think I'll go out & pick a load to dry out later

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Toddy
we have a pond and the rushes are taking over they look like yours but atleast 1 meter in lenth I think dad planted them as thatching rushes but he is not around to ask any more. last year we were digging them out with a large 360 digger.
I will post some pictures once there out in their full glory this year :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do they have leaves like grass does ? and do they produce the 'bullrush' type heads ? Typha minima does that and it's good stuff too.
Better yet would be if you have schoenoplectus lacustris :D that's the real soft rush that's used for basketry. The leaves make brilliant fine, strong, strings too.

Or it could be reeds. Phragmites australis, or sedge, Cladium mariscus, are the most usual ones for thatching in the UK, if not using straw.

Interesting to find out :) and interesting to work out what you can make with them too :D

cheers,
M

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
1000222_10151799811062292_328482260_n.jpg

1070047_10151799811232292_253307839_n.jpg

946257_10151783073452292_37948841_n.jpg

edit added this pic can you see the tall reeds in foreground... ?????

have no clue I know about trees :) not pond weed LOL
but next time im down at mums and its not raining I will take some pics, maybe you can help with the names
Thanks

David

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
David1, that's a beautiful pond :D and what a brilliant thing to have access to :D

Looks like rushes, certainly worth having a shot at using them :cool:

Need to find some photos that would let you check and identify variety.

If you want some typha minima roots for the pond, let me know ?

cheers,
Toddy

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Thank you :)
I demonstrated how to make cordage every day for weeks on end at one point; after a while the stuff just twists up for you.
Best advice I'd offer is make good preparation of your fibres.
We can all make up something quick in a hurry or at need, but to do it for long lengths needs decent materials to hand.

Fiona and I added up one day; between us we had made cordage from over fifty different native plants, and they were all sound. From hemp and flax to iris leaves, from the seaweeds to the tree barks and the fine thistledowns.
They all have their strengths and some are definitely better than others for certain tasks, but finding out is part of the experience of making and using them :D

I do wish there were more threads on cordage here, more 'craft' work.
There are a lot of very capable people, but they're kind of shy about posting their work.
I reckon that if I show mine, flaws and all, then it opens up discussion and we all learn :)

Mesquite, thank you :) and I agree, it is satisfying to make :D

atb,
M

If people find it hard to find the materials to make cordage they could always practice with artificial sinew. It splits nicely into several strands and looks like nettle cordage when finished. I made this trap using the artificial sinew.

DSCN0266_zpsfa4db76d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE