Making rope from rushes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Juncus effuses, the soft rush, the little field rush, the common clump that you see on damp untilled fields and waste ground.

This is the rush plant that I pulled three weeks ago. It's growing in the snarled tangle of the overwintered pond in the back garden. I generally don't tidy too much so that there's cover and habitat for everything that visits the pond during the hardest time of year, but start tidying up in early spring. The rushes were the first to go :)

It's a surprisingly useful plant.
TomBear makes rush lights from it, but it's also used to make rope. It's good rope too, and the 'waxy' outer coating of the rushes helps to shed rain.

Traditionally the ropes were used to make everything from beeskeps to kishies.
Kishies are the carrying baskets that were once common right across the land. One strap around the shoulders held them securely on the back. Used for carrying everything and anything, these lightweight but strong baskets were made using what is generally considered waste materials. Oat straw or docken stems for the support and rush rope twinned to hold it all together.

Using docken stems had another advantage since the dried stems don't absorb moisture easily, especially since they too have a protective outer layer, they were used for lightweight baskets for carrying fish. They could be easily washed off after use and left no lingering stink :D

Now is a good time of year to gather the rushes. They need to be pulled rather than cut, and they need to be stooked, or spread if you have room, and allowed to dry out. The inner polystyrene like core needs to be dried out so that the rope doesn't shrink and loosen after it's made.

I read that these rushes will grow up to 1.5m tall :dunno: I've never found any quite that size that are useable to the tips, but my long ones usually work out at most a metre long. Shorter is fine, they just need joined in a little more frequently.
This is the bundle of the ones I'm keeping to dry out from the clump beside the pond.

I'll take photos of the rope as I make it, explain how it's done, since I promised to show how I join in extra lengths as it grows.

This is a heads up....find some rushes, get them drying :D

atb,
Mary

Last edited:
Reactions: Hbc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trying to load photos :sigh:

Flickr is playing silly beggars and wants to make all my photos public, but since I have family ones there too, I really don't want to do that.

Trying another way round it. Managed to get one up, others will follow :)

Rushes are one of the clean fibres for those of you who work full time and find it tight to find space in busy lives for the pick up and do a bit, put it down and come back later, type crafts.
They won't stink up the house, they don't leave sharp bits around, they aren't wet and soggy and they're safe around kids and pets, and since this cordage isn't made with stripped out rushes, there's none of the scrappy mess from the innards and broken tips around either. Just take it outdoors to trim off the 'ends' and you can make it anywhere :)

I usually aim for seven rushes per strand of the twist. This rope is two ply, but three ply works well with it too. I reckon I'll get about 10metres from the one clump of rushes that I pulled.

Take off the tip from where the flower spike breaks through the rush skin, and you'll know when they're dry enough when the rush flattens and can be twisted without splitting. Cracks and folds in fresh rushes will become splits and tears when the rushes dry. Try to keep the lengths unbent as they dry.

cheers,
Mary

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks for the heads up Mary.

I make some friendship bracelets but with fresh rushes. They tend to split right enough. Will need to dry some and try.

Watching with interest.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yess :D new system seems to be working :D

Now if the rain will stay off long enough, I'll get some photos of the rope I've started. I'm up to about 3metres already :D

Monikieman, I make string from the peeled and de-pithed rushes that makes really good bracelets too :D, it's also really good string for corn dollies :cool: It stays greenish, it stays flexible and it has a kind of polished coating to it too.

For weeds that most folks are happy to have others pull, they're useful :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Upfront, I am pretty much ambidextrous when it comes to making stuff like ropes. This one is being twisted by my left hand and plyed and laid by my right. If you do it the other way around, it's fine. It's not an issue. Mine is a simple twist one way and cross it over the other way. Two Z twists, S plyed; roll away from you, cross them towards you.

I have loosely stooked the rushes that I pulled in a big plant pot. This allows them to air dry in the greenhouse when it's pouring and lets me lift them out easily to set in the sun to speed things along. It also keeps them supported enough that they're not crushed and folded.

I started with a dozen rushes, laid them together about a third of the way along their lengths, trying to use rushes that would give me staggered ends so that they didn't all run out at the same time.
Twisted in the middle of the bunch and plyed over to create a stable looped end to work from.

By the time I'd gotten going with the rope and the first join ins were stable I realised that I preferred it slightly thicker and balanced it out around seven rushes each side. It's not rocket science, it's rope :D

Joining in new lengths happens when I feel the sides becoming thin or unbalanced or I can see that a butt end is going to run out shortly. The finer tips are strong enough to twist in without snapping but without adding much bulk for their first few inches, so an overlap is possible.
It's a practice thing this ropemaking, it's a judgement call as to when to add in. The rushes might look all alike but when you work with them you soon get to know that some are definitely thicker or thinner than the others.
Best advice is to feel the thickness of each side as you work, to become aware of any changes and adjust as necessary.

We struggled to get clear shots of the new rushes being laid into the rope, so I cut a strand of red twine and used that to show just how I add in new lengths.

Neatly twisted and laid in among the other rushes, the new length 'belongs'....even when it's red twine :)

Folds are bad things for rushes; they become cracks so the folded in method isn't so useful for rushes. I simply slide the new rush alongside the rest of the bundle and make sure that it is twisted with the rest and supported for a couple of twists to secure it. It does mean that you have both tips and tails to cut off to tidy the rope, but the results are sound.

This shot shows the sticky out ends and tips that need to be snipped off. If left to dry they can be pinched off, but it takes time and I find a pair of scissors to be much neater.

Ropemaking, cordage making, by hand is pretty simple. If the fibres aren't fine enough to spin then it needs to be twisted by hand.
It can be made by a twister gadget provided that one person is twisting but another is carefully feeding in lengths. It's not like making grass ropes because the rushes don't lend themselves to loose open bundles but lie more like spaghetti, and even when dried the tube like structure still needs to be crushed to let the lengths lie together in the rope.
Woven rush mats are made the same way horsehair matting is; all the lengths are laid parallel and thread is used as the warps.

Rush rope :) Strong and sound and comfortable to handle :D

3 metres and growing :D

atb,
Toddy

Last edited:
Reactions: Hbc

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice work!

I remember using these to tie stuff when I was a kid, you know: when kids played out doors! We certainly didn't make anything quite as impressive as your's Toddy, and I recall ours broke rather frequently.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :)

Mine's pretty strong, and when I ply it up again to make the shoulder strap it's even stronger.
The last strap I made from the rushes was about five years ago and it's still sound.

If your ropes were made from fresh rushes they wouldn't have been so secure. The rushes slacken and slip and the rope can fail.

atb,
M

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
We hadn't got a whole lot of sense back then, but I guess we were 'bushcrafting' at a young age :)

I'm sure yours are mighty strong, they look great. I quite like making rope and cordage, it's a lot of work, but rewarding and you really appreciate cordage - handmade or not - after you've made some yourself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was looking at the fresh buds opening on the willows just yesterday, and minding as a child how easily I stripped the bark from the stems. I knew it was useful for something but not a clue what.
Funny the things we remember from childhood :)

You are so right about appreciating cordage once you've made some yourself; the whole effort from collecting to drying, to twisting and plying and finishing all takes time and patience and persistance to do the job properly.
Folks can read and watch all they like, until they've made it enough that the sense memory is in the hands and subconscious mind, and the tiredness is through the forearms and fingers, they don't really know how to make or appreciate the effort involved in ropeworking.
When I see the range of finished ropes that people like PatrickM show, I can only applaud and admire :D

I like making things; I find it quite relaxing, mentally, to make cordage, and I get something useful out of it all too :D That this stuff is made from what are really weeds, is a bonus :cool:

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That ropes great! I'm still trying to make nettle work- managed enough to make a bracelet but it wasn't good, this has put me in the mood for more practice, I'm thinking I might try willow and nettle again in the summer. :)

Great work, thanks for posting that! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This lot dried out for about three weeks, but if the weather had been as it was today, they'd have been ready in under a week. I did manage to spread them out in the sunshine for about two hours on day two, but other than that they were just stooked up in the unheated greenhouse.
If you bring them indoors and there's any heating on, they'll dry out much more quickly too.

Basically you need to get the pith dried out almost right to the stump end.

cheers,
M

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Thats a nice and uniform twist.

You mention "rush lights". Is this the same technique as used in the past in Denmark, where the white core of the Juncus effusus were used as the wick in candles made from the fat form sheep or oxen?

//Kim Horsevad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE