Warm sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I was wondering if anyone could recomend me a very warm sleeping bag?. My wife and I were in the lakes this weekend and it was quite cold in the night, my wife seemed to feel this more than me. No real suprise there then!. So my wife has prompted me into investing in a couple of new bags, (sorry very warm bags) I have been looking at Snugpak and Nanok bags but I dont really know much about them, I am just over 6ft so I dont know if height needs to be considered?. Thanks.

Simon.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm a big fan of my alpkit bag. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but what are you using as insulation underneath your bag? A decent self-inflating mat will make all the difference.

leon-1

I'm a big fan of my alpkit bag.

I have been thinking of buying one of these, Neil which model have you got and where is the review of it, please??:)

As far as Snugpak or Nanok most people will tell you go towards the Nanok side of life, having said that I have had a Softie 10 for years and it's not a bad bag for me as I sleep quite warm, but what I would say is there are warmer bags available.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Nanok Endurance -10. A very warm bag. I've used it in temps down to -6 and was lovely and warm. I did have a thermarest under me, as Scanker advises you.

As for size, I'm 46" chest, 5' 9" in height and I was able to get right down into it.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
I was up in the Lakes to this weekend.. Nice weather I thought...

If you get to Ambleside try Gaynor Sports... They have good pricing, plus staff that actually know what they are talking about. I "thought" I was after a down jacket but when we discussed my requirements the guy advised me towards a Primaloft one instead, even though it was £50 cheaper.

They do mail order too www.gaynors.co.uk

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i was in the peak district in spring in sleeping bag which i think was 2 season, more like 2/3. I was freezing for the first night, seriously cold and i don't really feel it, the other half was even worse. we went to wilkos the next day and bought a double duvet, much better! we had sleep mats underneath

i have a similar problem, i'm over 6'3 and so need a big bag. the ones i bought for the peak district trip were from kathmandu, they were in the sale and about £30 each

i then returned them and went to decathlon. I bought the S0 ultralight in size XL. fits me no probs, and able to get my head in the hood and the baffle drawn over my shoulders. i've spent quite a few nights in it, usually i'm too hot but slept in a hammock on sunday night and was just right. they were about £40, bargain or what? Its a great bag, well made, the only down sides are stuffing into the stuff sack takes ages - could do with being a touch bigger (it has compression straps on it) and also lighter. its the best part of 2kg.

if you're after a great-value-for-money-bag then they're great

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not a review as such, but here's my thoughts on my Alpkit bag. I have an AD500. The first thing to note is that it's a down bag and has all the pros and cons associated with a down filling.

The major negative point quoted about down, is that it loses its insulative properties when wet. I don't doubt for a minute that this is true, but if your sleeping bag is wet, you're doing something seriously wrong, so it's a bit of a non-issue for me.

The AD500 is very warm. I got the 500 as I figured I'd get more use out of that than a higher rated one. If it's really cold I can add layers of clothing or if it's really, really cold use my arctic bag instead. The AD500 weighs very little and compacts down nice and small, so takes up little room in your rucsac. I haven't used it below freezing yet, but I did use it in early spring and think that the ratings are probably reasonably accurate. As I've already noted in other posts, I'm not a fan of Snugpak bags at all, and have no experience of Nanok bags.

In terms of customer service, I've found that Alpkit really takes some beating. Delivery is usually next day and the bag comes with a big cotton bag for storage as well as a compression sack for transport. I also have the hunka bivi bag, which I've only recently bought and haven't tried yet, but that's also very light and is the perfect accompaniment to ensure the sleeping bag never gets wet.

HTH.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Get yourself to a shop and get in the bag. If they won't let you do that, go somewhere else. You're gonna spend a lot of time in it and if it doesn't do the job right, you will suffer as a consequence. I have heard nothing but good things about the Nanok range of bags, if you know somebody who has one, then ask to borrow it and try it out. Some people like a bag with lots of room, some like to be tight in their bag. Therefore, it is difficult to get a good idea of its' suitability from what others say as we are all different shapes and sizes.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I will check out the Alpkit range and the Nanok range, thanks. I normally sleep in my hammock with a thermarest underneath, but when camping with the wife we take our Bison tundra, we sleep on raised camp beds with sheepskin rugs underneath, and we normally take our stove with us and are nice and warm. This weekend however we decided to cook on our gas stove. I have tried the thermarest on the camp beds and they normally end up on the floor hence the rugs.My wife said she was really cold and really the bags we have aren't up to the job they were from Decathlon, but were quite cheap. So I need to spend a bit more cash.
Dont get me wrong Miggers the weather was nice it was the wife who was cold, saying that she could be sitting in front of a fire with ten layers on and still be cold!.
Size wise I can get one for the wife first and try it out to see if it fits me I suppose as she is smaller than me.
Thanks guys.

Simon.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
nanok -10 here - love it. Good and warm, got this little bag in the bottom too so you can wear your boots in it (if that's any help ;)) - plus you can get it for £40.
I'm actually looking at getting a second nanok bag at the moment that's a bit cooler - maybe the 0 degree one. I understand it fits in the -10 as well for an ultra-warm super-bag :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Get yourself to a shop and get in the bag. If they won't let you do that, go somewhere else. You're gonna spend a lot of time in it and if it doesn't do the job right, you will suffer as a consequence.

Second that! You wouldn't buy a pair of trousers without trying them on.

My entire sleeping system consists of:

Snugpak Softie Elite 3 (comfort -5°, Low -10°)

A silk liner from these people

http://www.silksleepingbag.co.uk/

A 3/4 length Thermarest.

Standard Military issue Bivi bag.

Hammock & Tarp.

I normally carry the lot - unless I have a cast iron forecast (like being in Africa in the middle of the dry season!) and treat the whole system like the layering principle with clothing. For example:

If it's warm then I'll sleep in the hammock with just the bag or just the liner (if it's very warm). As the mercury drops it might be the bag and liner together (the liner makes a BIG difference) - then bag and liner plus thermarest as it gets colder. Finally I'll ditch the hammock, go to ground under the tarp with thermarest, bag, liner and maybe even some clothing. Point is I've never been or, woken up cold.

I notice you've covered most of the insulation bases SOAR, but you didn't mention a liner - a silk liner makes a hell of a difference and at a fraction of the cost of a new bag

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hey Soar,
Might be worth having a look for sleeping bags especially tailored for the female form. You said your wife really felt the cold.
Men and women have different requirements when it come to sleeping bags but manufacturers are only just starting to provide for them.
Women, generally, feel the cold alot more than men (between 3 and 5 degrees C) Also, women are a different shape, generally wider in the hips and chest (ahem), narrower in the shoulder and shorter. A bag specificly cut for women, takes these differences into account and makes for a more comfortable bag that is far efficient in retaining warmth.
Mountain Equipment do one called the Firebird 2 and Marmot do a womens Teton
Thought it might help.
Baggins

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks guys I will check out the womens range and also the silk linner I have heard of these but wasn't sure how good they would be.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The other advantage of a liner is that it keeps your sleeping bag cleaner. Wearing clothing will also keep it cleaner too.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Often thought about a silk liner but wasn't sure how 'difficult' they are to wash?
Presum silk washing has special requirements
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE