Warm sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Yeah there is a knack to it :) Best way I find is to stuff it in foot first (like someone else said), then keep pushing handfulls down the sides as far as you can. Compresses the bottom well so the top closes all the way no problem

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've just tried this and its loads easier than trying to roll it thanks.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Hej

I got hold of Norwegian Army Sleeping bag at a Belgian military surplus store called t' Amerikaantje. (www.amerikaantje.be) I pressume it's a Nanok. It's extremely warm and was ever so cheap! I only paid 40 euros for it, unused! It has got a fireproof coating which makes it even more interesting!

Only disadvantage ... it's extremely heavy! It think it weighs over 2 kilograms!
And well I found out this summer that it's weigh too warm for summertime use!

www.amerikaantje.be/images/Artikels/slaapzak_noorse_m87.JPG

Yeh the Nanok is pretty heavy, but we will be using it from a vehicle for our tipi so it only matters when I go solo camping and It fits in my rucksack fine I just need to take less stuff, I have been looking for an excuse to cut down on the things that I take with me anyway. We have got this down to a t now when we use our tipi, last time we used it everything we took was used there was not one bit of kit that was not, except for my little repair kit, for the tent and such.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hej I´m also searching for a good sleeping bag for this winter, some guys on this course are making it themselves but I´m going to buy a good one and see if I make a down bag myself later.. I hear a lot of good things about nanok sleeping bags here, I thought of maybe getting a nanok 0 and a -10. Then I could put them into each other when it gets really cold here in Sweden. I also read you could zip two nanoks together to make a bigger one for two people, just ideal because I´m with my girlfriend. The only thing is I hear these bags are auite big? And so if I need to carry two, the 0 and the -10 its goin to be really heavy and big, no?

Because I´ll be having it with me on hikes, skiing, kanoeing, etc.. I´d like a sleeping bag system that doesn´t take too much weight or space either (doesn´t matter when canoeing though).. But then again, it doesn´t have to be so rediculously small as I see some bags are when they´re packed... I´m also looking for a quite cheap solution.. So ye, is a nanok sleeping bag really that big?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have an issue one (the one with the mesh pockets on the inside for drying things). They are cheap as dirt and mine kept me warm in -32C... they don't pack up very well at all but they are built to last.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I just read nanok is stopping in the UK, and genuinearmysurplus doesn´t have them anymore, anyone know where to get them cheap (here in sweden it seems way more expensive then in the UK!) ?

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
If your going to camp out of the car boot then buy a synthetic bag, otherwise save up some cash and buy down bag's, they'll keep you comfortable over a wider temp range, pack down smaller and last longer. But it's your choice :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I just read nanok is stopping in the UK, and genuinearmysurplus doesn´t have them anymore, anyone know where to get them cheap (here in sweden it seems way more expensive then in the UK!) ?

The swedish army modell 2000 is also a modular system, which is cheaper than the whole nanok 0+-10 system (here in sweden). But you would be better of with down in the winter. Most brands common in sweden come in left and right zips, making it possible to make a big two person bag. If you want really cheap down bags, check out roberts in poland, think it's roberts.pl or something. They can tailor make two compatible down bags for the cost of one ordinary.

EDIT: Yep, www.roberts.pl

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
The swedish army modell 2000 is also a modular system, which is cheaper than the whole nanok 0+-10 system (here in sweden). But you would be better of with down in the winter. Most brands common in sweden come in left and right zips, making it possible to make a big two person bag. If you want really cheap down bags, check out roberts in poland, think it's roberts.pl or something. They can tailor make two compatible down bags for the cost of one ordinary.

EDIT: Yep, www.roberts.pl

Nice, didn know you could make a big two person bag with most sleeping bags!

Hej, thanks a lot for that information! Do you think the roberts bags are good quality? I never heard of them.

I can`t find the swedish 2000 sleeping bag on the net :/

Do you know if itś possible to zip two bivy bags together to fit around two zipped together sleeping bags? Do such bivy bags exist?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Nice, didn know you could make a big two person bag with most sleeping bags!

Hej, thanks a lot for that information! Do you think the roberts bags are good quality? I never heard of them.

I can`t find the swedish 2000 sleeping bag on the net :/

Do you know if itś possible to zip two bivy bags together to fit around two zipped together sleeping bags? Do such bivy bags exist?

Never used a bivvy with a zip, do they exist? :confused: Never saw one.

As for the 2000 bag check this out. (in swedish, there is more places pm if you want me to translate or if you want a place closer to you).

Roberts are VERY high quality. I certainly swear by them, and I think you will find a lot of expeditions who've used them.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Well I asked them for info about prices but they don seem that cheap, it was around 200-300 euro for a robert voyager sleeping bag rated to about -10. Which model do you use?

3000kr seems a bit much for me for the swedish sleeping bag 2000.

Here on the school we can make our own for around 2200 but I thought that was already quite much. As I can get the nanok endurance -10 for 113 euro with postage included. I think Iĺl use some woolen blankets and put them inside when itś getting colder then -10.

Still a bit confused what to get so can use good advice.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Well I asked them for info about prices but they don seem that cheap, it was around 200-300 euro for a robert voyager sleeping bag rated to about -10.

200-300 euro for a good downbag isn't expensive. Compare with WM for example.

Hmm, maybe the 2000 model was more expensive than I remember. Well of with that then! Nanok -10 is still a really good bag, but putting blankets inside won't help so much I'm afraid. If you can make your own for 2200 and it's good enough to use during winter, go for it! If you intend to do any sleeping out during winter I really suggest you go for a down bag.

In addition to roberts, my friends swear by marmot.

rat pac

Sep 8, 2007
Kingston Surrey
The nanok -10 is one very good bag have used it all over the country and was warm even in the dead of winter.
if you are to hot just unzip it at the bottom
also the boot bucket at the bottom is a very good washing up bowl

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The nanok -10 is one very good bag have used it all over the country and was warm even in the dead of winter.
if you are to hot just unzip it at the bottom
also the boot bucket at the bottom is a very good washing up bowl

Problem is that -10 isn't so warm.. And in my opinion the -10 rating is a bit on the optimistic side.

Mazeman: it's a fibre bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE