Warm sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Often thought about a silk liner but wasn't sure how 'difficult' they are to wash?
Presum silk washing has special requirements
D

Good Point - mine says "hand wash only" but that's no hardship. Mine goes in the sink "hand hot" with a very dilute detergent solution. Drip dries in no time.

One other benefit I forgot to mention, is that it packs down to pocket size!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
nanok -10 here - love it. Good and warm, got this little bag in the bottom too so you can wear your boots in it (if that's any help ;)) - plus you can get it for £40.
I'm actually looking at getting a second nanok bag at the moment that's a bit cooler - maybe the 0 degree one. I understand it fits in the -10 as well for an ultra-warm super-bag :D

it's the other way around mate, the 0 is the bigger bag and the minus 10 is designed to fit inside, i've got the minus 10 myself and have found it good, the zips could be a little easier to fasten, but apart from than its good. Simon if your at the next delamere wekkend you can have a look at it, if you don't get one sorted before then and CC if you find a good price for a nanok 0 i would appriciate a pm i've been looking to get one myself ready for winter but have also got my name down for an underblanket which will replace the kip mat and add wormth

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks Aragorn I will be at the next delamere meet, I will be trying to get one before then but if I dont I will be taking you up on your offer, if my memory serves me correctly did you say that its quite a big bag for taking up space in your rucksack?.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
yea thats one of the downsides to it, it fills about 1/4 of my 60lt sack, i havn't been using the stuff sack that came with it, i got an army stuff sack off evil bay that will take the bag, with room to spare, i was hoping to pack the sack, hammock, underblanket and mosy net all up together, but may not be quite big enough for that, Graham S had a good idea, he had spotted some compression sacks with a one way valve buit in, i havn't been able to find them myself so was hoping to catch him at a forthcoming meet and find out if he ever got any. i will bring the nanok stuff sack with me and you can see the size of it packed.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
it's the other way around mate, the 0 is the bigger bag and the minus 10 is designed to fit inside, i've got the minus 10 myself and have found it good, the zips could be a little easier to fasten, but apart from than its good. Simon if your at the next delamere wekkend you can have a look at it, if you don't get one sorted before then and CC if you find a good price for a nanok 0 i would appriciate a pm i've been looking to get one myself ready for winter but have also got my name down for an underblanket which will replace the kip mat and add wormth

Ah OK, heard it was something like that! I do sometimes wish they'd stiffened the zips a bit more too... it's still the best for anything approaching that money though IMO.
Sure thing if I find one cheap I'll let you know

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I got an Ajungilak Tyin given off a girlfriend about 15 or so years ago, now admittedly I don't go out all the time but usually I tend to camp out in winter in the lakes and used with a self inflating kip mat and sometimes a bivi bag its still great.
I figured that it goes cold and nasy weather just about every time I go out camping so why fight it.

Unless its really cold it doesn't even need to be zipped up and its fine.

Not the lightest bag but then again I am not the scrawniest runt to carry it either.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I was on a budget and found a cracking set up for under 50 quid, and Alpkit airic and a british army 58 pat down filled bag. I've never been more toastie while camping. All those years of freezin my bottom off and this was all i needed. One thing I will say though is that if you go for a 58 pat sleeping bag, get the extra long one. I'm 6'1" and find the satndard one a bit too short. Hope this helps :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now the right answer is the Nanok -25 with the Nanok 0 degree bag over the top. All you need after that is to roll in the snow and beat yourself with Birch twigs.

I did grab all the Nanoks reduced (0, -10 and -25). The -25 may be bulky but talk about toasty ...mmmmmmm

Red

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I have a Rab S12, which is a -12 bag, great size for me and bloody warm.

On a separate note, be aware of how temperature ratings are expressed. When I spoke to Rab about the bag I have, they advised that the -12 comfort rating was based on fit well fed male.

I emphasise the well fed part, because it's particularly important. Your sleeping bag cannot create warmth, it can only help retain it. One of the easiest ways to generate body heat is to have a nice big meal before bedtime - your body will generate heat as it metabolises your food, your sleeping bag will keep the heat in leading to a much warmer night's sleep.

I did a little non-scientific test where I had a large meal before bedtime one night, and a smaller meal the next. the temperature outside was pretty much the same both nights, but I definitely felt colder on an empty stomach!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use various bags - Nanok, Ajungilak and Snugpak of various types and all have features that make them good for differing conditions. That is to say that if I want compressability I go with my down bag, if I want a bag for a canoe trip I avoid down (just in case I get it soaked!) and other little things make one bag "better" for a particular trip.
Liners do help keep you warm and the sleeping bag clean but unless yo can tie the foot into your sleeping bag I find that they can tie themselves into a knot around your feet if you are a restless sleeper. Some bags have loops in the foot end for just this job.
I made my own liner from a length of heavy-wieght Thai silk and it is great, even doubling as a summer/hut bag in its own right - and is a touch of luxury!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nanok Endurance -10. A very warm bag. I've used it in temps down to -6 and was lovely and warm. I did have a thermarest under me, as Scanker advises you.

As for size, I'm 46" chest, 5' 9" in height and I was able to get right down into it.

Yip a grt bag. I have done -8 in the alps, thermal t shirt and a 3/4 length thermarest with the hood on and it was toasty.:)

Nick

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ok thanks everyone for your info, I have just recieved a Nanok -10 today it fits me fine and the wife has tried it and although she has quite a bit of room she likes it as well so I mught be ordering another on. They seem like a good bag, although it is a nightmare to get back in its stuff sack. Anyone have any tips.

Simon.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers for that I tried rolling it and it only just goes in after lots of swearing and head scratching, so you just stuff it in I will have to try that thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE