warm gloves that I can work in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it's got to that time of year again when I'm starting to do more work in my woods, clearing and thinning some of the scrub left by my predacessors. It's also the time of year that my poor little fingers feel the cold and swinging billhooks and chainsaws about with loss of feeling is not a good thing!

So, can anybody reccomend my some gloeves that will keep my hands warm without causing me great loss of feeling and control? Ideally of course they will need to be waterproof as well :rolleyes:

I used to have a pair of North Face gloves that were thin and they had rubber spots on the palms and fingers to help with grip. But they were still a bit chilly and were not waterproof. The fact that they were thin and snug fitting did mean that I could still work without losing control of my tools though

any suggestions? I'm not one for wearing work gloves normally as I can't hold a damn thing in them! Partly this is due to me having small hands I guess

thanks

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Military gloves like the NI or soldier 95 are not to bad if you rub plenty of dubbin on them and can also be used with a liner of say contact gloves.

Andy

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
How warm are you looking for? I saw a review of some in one of the gun rags this year I'm thinking of getting, kevlar lining and leather outer. Made by Vestguard and about £25-30.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have been after some aswell. Berghaus and Sealskinz do the water/windproof ones, i think they both have versions with grippy palms too. They are a tad pricey though, about 25 quid. I have heard that the Sealskinz ones arent the wamest, so I was thinking of buying the Bergs when I get paid.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How about neoprene divers gloves? - they won't keep your hands dry as such but will keep them warm and still enable you to use tools safely:rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the mittens wouldn't work for me as I need the use of my fingers to work ;)

I've not seen tne soldiers gloves, all my local army surplus have are big gorilla sized things or woolen gloves that are no use to me.

I like the sound of the berghaus and sealskins, but what are they like for durability i wonder? same with the neoprene gloves?

These aren't for keeping my hands warm whilest walking about. They need to be an extra skin on my hands so that when I'm working I don't cut my hands or legs off coz I can't feel anything. I tried wearing liners inside leather gloves last winter and found that they just got slippery really fast. Mostly I'm going to be cutting brash with a chaiinsaw or billhook, then snedding and shifting the poles onto a stack before shifting the trimmings elsewhere. So wet slimey bark and mud are major factors.

the skin on my hands is perfect, but there isn't enough fat on tehm to insulate me bones :(

Maybe I could just skin a fat bloke and use his hands? nah that wouldn't work, I've tried leather gloves :rolleyes:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
the mittens wouldn't work for me as I need the use of my fingers to work ;)

I've not seen tne soldiers gloves, all my local army surplus have are big gorilla sized things or woolen gloves that are no use to me.

I like the sound of the berghaus and sealskins, but what are they like for durability i wonder? same with the neoprene gloves?

These aren't for keeping my hands warm whilest walking about. They need to be an extra skin on my hands so that when I'm working I don't cut my hands or legs off coz I can't feel anything. I tried wearing liners inside leather gloves last winter and found that they just got slippery really fast. Mostly I'm going to be cutting brash with a chaiinsaw or billhook, then snedding and shifting the poles onto a stack before shifting the trimmings elsewhere. So wet slimey bark and mud are major factors.

the skin on my hands is perfect, but there isn't enough fat on tehm to insulate me bones :(

Maybe I could just skin a fat bloke and use his hands? nah that wouldn't work, I've tried leather gloves :rolleyes:

what about Vitrex Grippa Gloves, from wickes, great grip in the wet, and fairly warm (I find them too warm, but I am a fat bloke) :rolleyes:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Try Gore goretex cycling gloves, I got a pair for on the bike but ended up wairing them out and about last year as they were a good fit, (I have small hands) waterproof, warm and grippy.
jon

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Screwfix do builders gloves for £1.50. I use them and they take the chill out and the rubberised grip keeps hold of most things. And for that money I don't mind replacing them every so often. And as my old dad used to say - "if your fingers are cold your not working hard enough"!!!

p1997778_x.jpg

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When I worked in the Arctic circle on deep sea trawlers we used to wear woolen or meraklon gloves and then put on a pair of marigolds ,never once felt the cold.We were always moving quite quickly as gutting ice cold fish by the tonne does take time.You can get marigolds in lots of colours including green or black.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dave,
I'm going to echo G4Ghb's answer for neoprene gloves, though I recon some that I found for fishing are ideal,- thinish neoprene material with thumb and first finger slits (like a trigger finger hole). I can't vouch for how well they'll cope with brash etc but they laugh off any wet or cold weather. From memory they cost about £15 inclusive of postage but I can't remember where from - other than it was an on-line fishing equipment supplier. A few years ago I worked for a whole day in the sleet on a neighbors water pump in the middle of a field and still had warmer hands than those who were huddling in a landrover poking fun at me.

HTH

Ogri the trog

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
When I worked in the Arctic circle on deep sea trawlers we used to wear woolen or meraklon gloves and then put on a pair of marigolds ,never once felt the cold.We were always moving quite quickly as gutting ice cold fish by the tonne does take time.You can get marigolds in lots of colours including green or black.

I've thought about that :D not sure how duarbale they would be? Mind you, there are slaughterhouse rubber gloves that tend to be thicker and tougher.

The trouble I'm finding with rubber gloves (or those coated in rubber/vinyl to waterproof) is the bulk and loss of dexterity. Not a major issue when just shifting stuff, but I can see it getting on my nerves fast.

Looking around after following some of the suggestions, it looks like what I'm after doesn't exist. I think I'm going to have to buy a range of gloves and see how I get on during teh winter :rolleyes:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That's been my conclusion too BorderReiver. A bit disappointing really. I think what might be happening is that mine seem to be too tight at the wrist and restrict circulation.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Personally I would try the wickes type rubber grip work gloves in the smallest you can get and then wear the old rubber type gloves. On my motorbike I wear rubber gloves from the morgue(thicker laytex) under my leather gloves.
Neoprene would be warm but cant imaging would be very good dexterity wise.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE