WANTED: Wool Blanket, help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi im after a good quality preferably 100% (tho id settle for 70/30) wool blanket to add to my kit, i cant for the life of me find any in the uk, does anyone have any for sale or swap? or know somewhere with these in stock? Such a versatile piece of kit!

Peter

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Wow thanks for this kard! i dont know how i didnt spot these myself on ebay, the italian one looks good, are the italian ones 100% wool?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The best surplus are the Dutch of Belgian ones (IMO). Dutch are a little heavier but slightly more open weave. Belgian are edged really well and more "felted"

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I picked up a great wool blanket from charity shop for £2! Got Two Disaster relief blankets that are very thick and heavy, only 70% wool but at £5 new not too bad. Only thing is I can't recommend the seller as its an army surplus that has a very bad rep on here! Did take two months to arrive too..

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Best quality I've seen are the Belgian army blankets. I bought a couple last year and have been very happy with them. Not cheap though.

hawk010.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most people are reccomending military surplus. Value for money spent I have to agree. You didn't mention how much you're willing to spend though and if you don't mind parting with a bit more I'd have to say Pendleton's online. They have all sizes from basic single bed (all you'd need in the bush) through double, queen and king size. They also come in a large assortment of patterns: Native American, Hudson Bay trader, etc. Be forewarned though; they are pricey and a mil surplus is definitely best value for money.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Try TK Maxx if you have one near.They sold me a 70/30% Alpaca and wool blanket double size for £20.I don't think SWMBO is going to let me keep it though as it's "too good for that" she says.I also have a 100%wool one from Barnados I paid £7 for but it's a KS so I may have to cut it in half to save weight.I like to feel wool before I buy as it can be pretty rough tbh.
Hope this helps.Cheers , Simon

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Try TK Maxx if you have one near.They sold me a 70/30% Alpaca and wool blanket double size for £20.I don't think SWMBO is going to let me keep it though as it's "too good for that" she says.I also have a 100%wool one from Barnados I paid £7 for but it's a KS so I may have to cut it in half to save weight.I like to feel wool before I buy as it can be pretty rough tbh.
Hope this helps.Cheers , Simon

Had forgotten about alpaca wool. Yes, alpaca IS wool. It's a roughly 5 times warmer (and more expensive) than sheep's wool as well as being softer. Maybe the price will come down if alpaca farming spreads more. Do you know if it is catching on in Europe?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE