Wanted, trivet for 15inch frying pan.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
since it tends to snuff out the fire/coals I am looking for a sturdy trivet to use with my beeeeg Hillbilly frying pan

fryingpan02.JPG

I don't have the facilities (or skill to do a proper job) to make one myself and have only seen little diddy ones or great big table like affairs advertised.

I'm looking for something with folding legs that will fit inside it for carriage.

I know I can prop it up on tent pegs or with rocks or bits of wood but I'd like a nice solid trivet.

Any pointers most gratefully received!

Cheers!

Tom

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
3 strap hinges bolted (with a wing nut) together at one end - strong as you like - folds to a pizza slice.
See my book for more details....:)

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
What John said! I've got three of them (different sizes) and they are fab. TBH a 5" hinge is best. Tip; get 3 pair of hinges, not two. The reason will become obvious after making the first one :)

Chris

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
What John said! I've got three of them (different sizes) and they are fab. TBH a 5" hinge is best. Tip; get 3 pair of hinges, not two. The reason will become obvious after making the first one :)

Chris

Sorry to reserect an old thread, but John or Chris, could you please describe this hinge trivet in slightly more detail. I just can't picture how the hinges should be arranged.

Cheers
Pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get your 3 strap hinges laying on a surface allso that they will fold flat if you lift the end of one "arm" and bring it over the other "arm".
Lay them all flat again after making sure they are all this way up.
Overlap the end screw hole of one arm of each hinge.
Insert bolt through all three holes.
Thread the wingnut onto the bolt and get it almost tight then spread the 3 hinges to look like a merc emblem.
Tighten the nut.
Turn the 3 hinges over and take the hanging "legs" past 90 degrees to form the stand.
Let go of the hinges.
It should now stand by itself and take even quite heavy weights.
biscuittinbillyandhingetrivet.jpg

To pack away the trivet.
Fold the "legs" to the bolt head side, loosen the nut, slide the hinges together, tighten nut.
There - that should save you the price of buying my book:D
Apply oil frequently to avoid rusting.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
OK, seems pretty good. Not sure it'll be up to the task of supporting heavy cast iron pots and a dutch oven for all my cooking for a year, which is what I need. Will be welding one together, was just interested in this design.
Cheers John

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry for not doing this sooner but heres a couple of pics if the 12" with 9" legs tripod trivet that Nige made for me.

tripod03.jpg

tripod04.jpg

Not taken any pics of it since it got dirty and no idea whats caused the blurred patch.

Excellent bit of kit and thanks again Nige!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And finally some of it in use on the night of the big moon

with the 2 quart curved bottom brass kettle

newpotontrivet.jpg

and, with the flash on. doing sterling work supporting the 15" Hillbilly frying pan as we made a couple of sandwiches

jumbofryontrivet.jpg

Top kit, thanks again Nige!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE