Wanted : Natural tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KRF1963

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2007
York
Hi,
I work in living history mainly dealing with Primary school children but in a couple of weeks we have some sixth formers for the day and I have been asked to cover fire lighting.

They are studying early dark ages so we are looking at Viking/Saxon period and whilst I am a dab hand with flint and steel using char cloth I am not sure it is too authentic and was looking at getting hold of some more authentic tinder.

I was wondering if anyone had any small pieces of amadou or any cramp fungi I could use.

Many thanks in advance.

Keith

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I don't know if I can help I but 'll have a look round the woods here for some horseshoe fungus and cramp balls in the next couple of days and see what I can do. I may have some bog cotton lying around if thats of any help?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Mr Mears showed off this trick, where reeds were peeled open revealing a white inner that burnt in a flash.
May not be relevant to dark/middle ages, it does demostrate natural resources

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a little bit of crampball here you can have, I've not found any of the new stuff yet this year, but it won't be long about..............pm me your address and I'll send what I've got.

KRF1963

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2007
York
Many thanks all.

We use rushes for rush lights on our Tudor days so will see if I can dry some out for catching sparks.

Not heard of bog cotton but would like to try it if you have some to spare.

I have PM'd re the offer of a piece of crampball.

Thanks again

Keith

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Keith
I found a couple o crampball's in my old tinder box and some old dry Pine resin you could use in a torch if you want, no sign of the Horseshoof fungus as yet and still digging around for the bog cotton.
Later Bro...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather

X1 Horseshoof, Tinder fungus found, it may be a long way of Amadou but at least it maybe of some help to some of your students if they don’t already know the source of amaduo what it starts off as and some of the preparation involved probucing the stuff , and should get some bog cotton this week from Netfrog, s house.
L8er Bro...

KRF1963

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2007
York
Many thanks to everyone for your generosity.

I know have a complete kit for demonstrating natural fire-lighting.

If it is OK with you guys I will make a donation to Children in Need to cover the postage plus a little more unless you have any strong preferences otherwise.

Kind regards

Keith

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Many thanks to everyone for your generosity.

I know have a complete kit for demonstrating natural fire-lighting.

If it is OK with you guys I will make a donation to Children in Need to cover the postage plus a little more unless you have any strong preferences otherwise.

Kind regards

Keith

Just passing on the knowledge is payment enough

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE