Wanted - granite pebbles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jwmagee

Oct 10, 2004
Hayling Island
Can anyone provide me with some granite pebbles... I need various sizes for flint knapping (well my attempts...no granite around these parts that I've found. I'll pay postage etc.

thanks

John

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I could get you this but it would be expensive to send through the post. Where I live is largely granite. So, what size and how many? :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Go to your nearest garden centre. They'll probably have granite pebbles as decorative garden cover. If there's a B&Q near you, they'll have 50kg bags of hand size pebbles. Usually they have a bucket full available so you can handle them without ripping open a bag. Take a few and ask the duty manager if you can have them as samples to see if they are suitable. Get him to quote you for a pallet of pebbles so he thinks you're in the market for a bulk purchase and he'll most probably let you take a handful for free.

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
You mean granite "pebbles" come in sizes smaller than 5 stone? :rolleyes:

The garden supply and landscaping stores usually have granite rocks of many different sizes - especially the landscaping places. The granite rocks worn smooth by the ocean that are about the size of a baseball are pretty popular for rock gardens.

If they don't have any, you could also check with some Art Supply places. A lot of artists like to use those "beach rocks" for their sculptures.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Go to your nearest garden centre. They'll probably have granite pebbles as decorative garden cover. If there's a B&Q near you, they'll have 50kg bags of hand size pebbles. Usually they have a bucket full available so you can handle them without ripping open a bag. Take a few and ask the duty manager if you can have them as samples to see if they are suitable. Get him to quote you for a pallet of pebbles so he thinks you're in the market for a bulk purchase and he'll most probably let you take a handful for free.

Eric

You wiley old fox Eric - Do you think that would work next time I go for an Indian? I could say I was throwing a BIG 100th birthday party for me Gran and Ranjid's hothouse is the chosen one to do the catering ......................................pending an elaborate sampling first :D

Flint knapping with granite :confused: I didn't know you could.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point

Eric

I would never have thought of that, Eric :rolleyes: :You_Rock_ Now where is the nearest garden centre.....

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Ballast piles are a handy source of non local rock. Long standing shipping tradition down there, might be worth a rummage around some harbours.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Another possible place to look for granite rocks that would work is any place that designs/sells/installs steam baths - especially those that use hot rocks that you pour water on for the steam. Those rocks should be granite, and will tend to be around baseball or softball size.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Failling Rain, This is a guess but does "Hammer Stones" mean anything to you ;)

Do you mean the stone to knap the flint with? I mis-understood the original question. I thought jwmagee wanted the granite to actually knap the granite to make the items with. Not as a tool to knap flint with. Ignore me. I sometimes have blank moments :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Greg - go down the beach.......there are loads and if someone says they are crown property tell em the Queen gave you perm....duckie!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looking at the map didn't help, that's for sure.
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/hantmap.jpg
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/Geology-Britain.htm

The only couple of times I've use granite hammerstones they've been bludgeons(about 5" or so), used for peeling the skin off of big nodules. One was black granite from the Lakes and crumbled like powder, the grey/gold rock I picked up on Rannoch Moor didn't fare much better.
Where does the rock for curling stones come from? I'll bet that quarry would be just the ticket.

I'd just use whatever is handy. Pick up a bunch of rocks from a riverside somewhere and smack away at some flint until you find something that hits with a dull thud instead of a sharp crack. That's how you tell soft hamerstones from hard.
It should stay together as well but good luck with finding one that does that;).

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Looking at the map didn't help, that's for sure.
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/hantmap.jpg
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/Geology-Britain.htm

Where does the rock for curling stones come from? I'll bet that quarry would be just the ticket.
I think you'll find its a small island off the main land of Scotland....might be a bit far for most people :D
I'd just use whatever is handy. Pick up a bunch of rocks from a riverside somewhere and smack away at some flint until you find something that hits with a dull thud instead of a sharp crack. That's how you tell soft hamerstones from hard.
It should stay together as well but good luck with finding one that does that;).

I've got several random rocks that I've been playing with, I havn't a clue what any of them are

BTW all flint axe heads are stone, but not all stone axe heads are flint, in someplaces the locals use whatever is around so granite IS possible (but probably rare), however I think that they use more polishing (grinding) then knapping to make them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE