WANTED air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Hi im looking into getting a second hand air rifle, powerful enough to deal with rabbits and preferably with a scope, looking at spending £100 i tried airguns and bb's but cant register to post threads on there. if anyone has one please pm me, also have a co2 pistol and other bits if your interested in a part swop!
Jamie

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm also in the market for a second hand air rifle. I was thinking of a springer with scope, ideally a HW95 up to £150, but would be interested in any offers.

If anyone could offer any tips on what to get (and especially where from) for rabbiting I'd appreciate it. I've trawled the web and am at a loss for how to find a rifle like this second hand. People on various forums mention getting one for £120-150, but the very few weihrauch air rifles that I've found are over £200 second hand. That's online and in the shops I've been to. Is that what I should expect to pay?

My local gun shop has got shiny new SMK19s for £120 and I'm now tempted to just get one of those.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
SMK is not a good choice. Just how are you going to get reliable, repeatable, full-power hits in just the right place with a POS gun? Some SMKs can be tuned to acceptable levels (e.g. the XM78) but you need to know what you're doing.

Take a gander at the AirgunBBS. There's a for sale/wanted section, I'm sure you can get something much better for your money.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As said above don't go with SMK if you want to do any hunting. They are not consistent enough. The cheapest good rifle new will be something along the lines of a BSA Lightning or supersport. But thats £190 minimum just for the rifle (supersport)

http://www.airshooter.co.uk/acatalog/BSA.html.

Second hand is a good way of getting one cheaper but be warned there are bad ones out there. Lots of them. Lots of good ones too. You need to know what you are looking for.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
I've dropped j.dee69 a message, but am curious about people's views on the SMK. I understand that the B2 is rubbish and only good for shooting beer cans, but the SMK19 that I held in my hand felt like quality work and get's decent reviews from owners. It's apparently made in spain instead of china, for what that's worth. Are you guys judging it by the company's reputation or have you got experience of that model?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm judging it on SMK being second rate rifles. They may look and feel ok but it isn't that that makes them unsuitable for hunting. Its the power inconsistencies between shots. One shot may land an inch lower than the last, bad news for a hunter and WILL result in wounded quarry. Spain have another manufacturer, Cometa. They are better than smk but still not really upto hunting levels.

Have a read at what people say about them in the Airgun forums

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84290
http://www.airgununiverse.co.uk/forum/general-airgun-chat-14/smk-19-18-a-76200/

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks for all the tips, people. I'll follow your advice and steer clear of the SMK19.

I'll check out a cometa if I find one, but another local gun shop has got edgar brothers' model 60 for £145 with a decent scope, and they seem to be regarded as good value. Does anyone have experience of them?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have no experience with edgar bros.

Generally you get what you pay for with a rifle and scope.

A good scope will cost more than that combo.

Just buy whatever you like, shoot it for a bit and make your own mind up. You will see the difference if you then fire a good rifle like an Air Arms or Weirauch springer.

I may be a little biased towards the high end rifles. I have had cheaper ones but left them behind and for good reason.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
That all makes sense, hillbill. My thinking is that with my budget of about £150 I'm borderline on being able to afford somethig decent if I get lucky or buy the right thing That's why I'm being so picky. If I found a used weirauch at that price I'd buy it straight off, but a new one is double my budget.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks for the links, hillbill, but they come up with a request to login, and the site doesn't let me register. I emailed them a few days ago to ask how you go about joining, but haven't had a reply yet. Which models where they? I'm curious, now!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
1st link

Weirhauch Hw77k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale is my hw77k. i got this to start back shooting. I've only had a few opportunities to shoot with this rifle before one of my favorite guns came up for sale and i couldn't let it pass

Sadly this means the hw77k is up for sale

its .22 in calibre and the serial number is: 1036642 and is hull cartridge stamped.

this rifle has been dated back to 1986-1987, i got the gun of someone whom got it back in 1987, it was used a few times and has been in his wardrobe since with all his other guns (he's got loads )

there are some marks on the stock and also some to the action, but the gun isn't really in that bad of condition.

also to mention that i have been informed that it has most likely got the 25mm piston which some people refer to as being better at 12ft lbs level.

the catch for the under lever is a sliding catch

pics to be put up soon

I'm wanting 150.00 for the gun, face to face deal please

Cheers Chris

2nd link

hw90k .22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hw 90k .22 cal,comes with scope,mounts,case and silencer been used for hunting some marks on barrel and hole in stock where stud has been,walnut stock? needs a safety catch £3 from weihrauch, £170 ftf only,[sorry cant do pics],,,,,,,,,,,,Bren

3rd Link
SOLD

The probs you might have registering is probably your email. They don't allow disposable ones like hotmail or yahoo. I used my mothers NTLworld email.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'm also in the market for a second hand air rifle. I was thinking of a springer with scope, ideally a HW95 up to £150, but would be interested in any offers.

If anyone could offer any tips on what to get (and especially where from) for rabbiting I'd appreciate it. I've trawled the web and am at a loss for how to find a rifle like this second hand. People on various forums mention getting one for £120-150, but the very few weihrauch air rifles that I've found are over £200 second hand. That's online and in the shops I've been to. Is that what I should expect to pay?

My local gun shop has got shiny new SMK19s for £120 and I'm now tempted to just get one of those.

Try looking at the BSA range within your price range 2nd hand and powerful enough to dispatch rabbits out to 40yds

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
You wont honestly get much better then the Edgar Bros mod 60 for the money. Team it up with a decent 3-9x40 scope'. Check out some of the airgun forums and see the test results. I regret selling mine now. I took hare, 'with permission' rabbits, duck, pigeon, and many more with mine. I compared it to my BSA Supersport 'although, still a great gun' and the Edgar Bros won hands down. I have been shooting and hunting with airguns for over 15 years and this is my honest opinion.
Cheers

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Ive got a air arms tx200 that im selling.
A buddy of mine is thinking about it but if not it will be up for grabs.
Its in 22 and has a knasser 3-8x56mm scope.
It has to go so i can buy a air bottle for the air ranger.
Soloman.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ive got a air arms tx200 that im selling.
A buddy of mine is thinking about it but if not it will be up for grabs.
Its in 22 and has a knasser 3-8x56mm scope.
It has to go so i can buy a air bottle for the air ranger.
Soloman.

Whats the price? The air ranger bottles can be filled direct at the diving shop or wherever you fill them round your way. Mine used to do it for free, or charge 50p if the manager was around. Much cheaper than buying a £100 + bottle then paying £2 or £3 per fill. Its not like you are going to run out of air with the rangers bottle unless you figure a way to put it on full auto:D

Which bottle do you have? 400cc?? Which calibre is it.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
The ranger is in .177,the first ive had.
I know the 400cc bottle fitted will give me plenty of air but never want to be caught out.
i wanted also to try a bit of hft at my local club so .177 was the natural choice as ive another gun in .22.
I was a bit concerned about hunting with.177 but after shooting it over the last few days i have no worries.
the price has yet to be decided as my buddy is thinking about it( wife permitting) just wanted to see if there was any interest.
Soloman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE