Wally to the Arctic...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
All joking aside, these sorts of temps shouldn't be taken lightly. Got a bit blasé this morning. Left nice warm tipi to shovel a bit of snow and didn't bother with gloves as it was only a few minutes work and shovelling keeps you warm. Within three minutes my hands were so cold I couldn't undo a zip. Back into tent to thaw them out. A salutory reminder about the speed with which extremities can be affected. Frostbite was probably only a few minutes away.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-20-20-33-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-20-20-33-55.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 128

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
12" in the village, 60" - 84" up top. -12C at sunrise this AM. My garden is your garden. Don't mess with cold. Just don't.
You can pass the point of no return where you cannot (fool) make up the heat loss. I don't give a tweet about kit.

How many of you have passed an avalanche course? Got a Pieps? Got an Avalung? (you can rent those in my village.)
Understand the dangers of a tree-hole?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I cant believe its that cold in November! Thats unusual isnt it? Has it come early, or does it bode for an extremely cold January I wonder?

Good luck, remember youre not as invincible as you once were!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
12" in the village, 60" - 84" up top. -12C at sunrise this AM. My garden is your garden. Don't mess with cold. Just don't.
You can pass the point of no return where you cannot (fool) make up the heat loss. I don't give a tweet about kit.

How many of you have passed an avalanche course? Got a Pieps? Got an Avalung? (you can rent those in my village.)
Understand the dangers of a tree-hole?

Appreciate the sentiment, Robson, but I'm in a Lappland forest near a lake, not up a mountain. No risk of avalanche here! Plenty of food, water, heat and warm gear with me in both the car and tipi, and being on my own i'm never more than a few hundred_yards from one or the other. An those that know me are well aware that excessive exercise of any sort is anathema to me!
The general point is well made though. Cold kills.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I cant believe its that cold in November! Thats unusual isnt it? Has it come early, or does it bode for an extremely cold January I wonder?

Good luck, remember youre not as invincible as you once were!

Surprised me as well! Before the trip I,d checked the min-max temps for the area, and was expecting -8 to -14c, and that's about what I'd been getting till yesterday when it dropped to -22 in town in a couple_of hours, and i'm guessing around -27 or more overnight at the tent. However my gear will cope easily down to -40 or so, so so far, so good!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yum - brekkie. Rat pack all day breakfast a and perc coffee. Was going to have fried egg and bacon, but both had frozen solid overnight...
attachment.php

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive been on the prowl for some 'egg crystals' used to sell them on amazon but cannot find them. These impromptu trips, look downright appealing now, as Ive got a 4wd LR Freelander 2 and snow tires.
I just never imaged you'd see those kind of low temps.

Keep posting. Looks great.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wonderful thread!
Are you happy with the Fjellpulken? I want one myself, but I have never had the chance to try it out :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
It's an excellent piece of kit. It is the 130 version, very stable even when heavily loaded and tows like a dream with their harness and poles. There's an excellent review online - Google will find it.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Driving back to the forest last night, The headlights picked up millions of ice crystals on the road and trees, giving an impression of being surrounded by little fairy lights. Magical. Haven't seen it before, so imagine it had to do with the sudden temperature drop. Tried to get a picture of it, but no joy. Guess you had to be there!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Driving back to the forest last night, The headlights picked up millions of ice crystals on the road and trees, giving an impression of being surrounded by little fairy lights. Magical. Haven't seen it before, so imagine it had to do with the sudden temperature drop. Tried to get a picture of it, but no joy. Guess you had to be there!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
To give some idea, a PIC of reflections off the frost inside tent..

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151122_002355.jpg
    IMG_20151122_002355.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 74

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE