Walking Sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
Morning All

I have a stick which i use for beating and have for lat fews but managed to break it at beginning of season.

I have cut it down to make a standard stick, it is not useable to me but I am planning on resurecting and giving it to the old man.

He used it walk leeds liverpool canal for charity last year,he isn't the healthiest of people but did it. He used my stick to do it with.

I was thinking of taking a length of the bark off and mark it up somehow with the dates ect on it.

question is what is the best way ? I don't have the kit to carve it out (not that i could anyway)

I also fancied putting a top on of some sort on it but not sure where to start with that

Any ideas much appreciated

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Put "The Stick Man" into the search engine of your choice and have a browse through that site. Lots of things explained and loads of stick-dressing materials to buy for very reasonable prices.

As for the dates and any other marking you want to do, get an old soldering iron and brand 'em into the wood. I hope this helps :)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Has the Leeds /Liverpool canal got a logo? When I did the North Downs Way ,the logo is an acorn so I made an acorn from some silver.
Attach with some tiny panel pins. You could engrave/punch the date on it.
What sort of top were you thinking of?

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
You could use a fine line perminant marker but will need to be oversealed with varnish.Ive used this method in the past with great results.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Has the Leeds /Liverpool canal got a logo?

I don’t know about a logo but some canals used ''canal perfins'' (stamps that have initials perforated into them), the Leeds & Liverpool canal perfin is this:-

canal.gif

regarding branding the wood I’ve just used a pointed awl heated up on the gas ring of a cooker till it’s hot as I didn’t have a soldering iron, mark out the letters first with a pencil as a guide for neatness, you have to keep heating the awl up though so a soldering iron is probably better if you have one.

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
He did it from the Rotary club so have got my mum asking if they have a badge about the size of 20p that i can set into it.

Not sure what top as yet was thinking about buffallo horn or something that is more of a rounded top, can get them pre made so may get him it for christmas (but not rushing)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE