Walking Staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi Guy's,
Wondered if you could give me some advise, I am looking to make a walking staff but was wondering what is the best wood and some prep advise would be handy :lmao:
I would like to make it a sturdy staff not a thin walking stick if you know what I mean so any tips would be appreciated :You_Rock_

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
My old man used to make his own walking sticks, nice and rustic like. The only bit of advice I remember was to insert a horse shoe nail into the bottom and dont varnish the top bit that you hold as it can rub. He also used to drill a hole through the stick and attach a length of leather so that you can wrap it around your hand when scrambling about to gain extra purchase and not loose it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
You can’t go wrong with hazel. It is a joy to cut with a knife and when fully seasoned is very light.

Happy witling!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd go with Hazel too. You can carve the top to round it off, and drill a hole as already mentioned and put a leather bootlace through to make a loop to go round your wrist. Nail an old (used of course) shotgun cartridge to the bottom of the staff and the brass makes a durable base that won't wear out

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, I don't want to be blasphemous here but...for long treks, I like a Sherlock. Light weight reduces arm fatigue big time and you can adust it perfectly to your needs. And unlike many twist lock types, this one will not give under heavy weight.

As for the hand strap, it needs to be flat, imo. Either a flat piece of leather or nylon strapping. A flat strap will cradle your wrist and be very comfortable over the long haul.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That is a nice looking staff Hoodoo.

I have made a few sticks, very plain and utilitarian. I like hazel better than ash, and either better than sycamore (hey, I was young then!) I took my favorite stick to the Lake District last summer, but before going I fitted a brass ferule to the tip. What a stupid thing to do! It made it absolutely worthless for walking in over the rocks, and in the Lake District that is a big problem. The brass just skated off. I ended up cutting a green hazel and using that for the rest of the trip. The end of that green stick gripped, but it broomed out to about double the diameter of the original stick. A rubber foot would probably have been better, rather than using metal

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
C_Claycomb said:
That is a nice looking staff Hoodoo.

I have made a few sticks, very plain and utilitarian. I like hazel better than ash, and either better than sycamore (hey, I was young then!) I took my favorite stick to the Lake District last summer, but before going I fitted a brass ferule to the tip. What a stupid thing to do! It made it absolutely worthless for walking in over the rocks, and in the Lake District that is a big problem. The brass just skated off. I ended up cutting a green hazel and using that for the rest of the trip. The end of that green stick gripped, but it broomed out to about double the diameter of the original stick. A rubber foot would probably have been better, rather than using metal

Good point about the brass skating off rocks Chris. Depends what sort of environment you're in.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I make a few sticks and agree that while hazel is attractive, ash and holly (peeled or not) are far stronger. Straight blackthorn is beautiful and strong too. I agree with Chris about walking hill-paths and also blaspheme and use a Leki pole in those conditions, where its very sharp plastic and metal point digs safely into crevices between rocks and is safer...

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
carve the end of the stick to a little bigger than a piece of copper pipe

heat the pipe and put it on as it cools it shrinks fittin tightly to the wood if need be you can use a wedge to hold it on

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I made the stick I am using now out of Hazel. I like it's lightness when it is fully dried out. I fitted an alpine ferrule to this stick which is a sharp pointy one and I haven't had any problems with it slipping on rocks etc.

It's the one I had with me on Texa Falcon.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
ScanDgrind said:
I made the stick I am using now out of Hazel. I like it's lightness when it is fully dried out. I fitted an alpine ferrule to this stick which is a sharp pointy one and I haven't had any problems with it slipping on rocks etc.

It's the one I had with me on Texa Falcon.
Ahaa.......I might try fitting an alpine ferrule. You also had a threaded joint to split it into two IIRC without affecting the strength. Nice stick :)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hazel every time. I have a hazel staff that I cut from a small wood in Knoydart in Scotland about 35 years ago. It means a lot to me as it was such a special trip. I went there with two close friends and we had a memorable few days. So, if you can find the hazel stick during a good bushcrafting holiday so much the better. Perhaps we should have a' why my staff is special to me' thread. Would make interesting reading.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
falcon said:
Ahaa.......I might try fitting an alpine ferrule. You also had a threaded joint to split it into two IIRC without affecting the strength. Nice stick :)

Yep, that's the one. I did wonder if having a joint in the stick would weaken it but it doesn't seem to have done. I've put some serious weight on the stick since I've been using it and so far... no ill effects :) . The joint is brass and has quite a fine thread on it so it takes a fair few revoloutions to do up and undo. It does make it very portable when not in use though, you can take it in half and strap it to a pack easily and it fits in vehicles easily as well.

quarterstaff

Aug 5, 2004
uk
I found a alpine ferrule at a game fair that has a rubber stopper/cover that works great on rock and the like,when in woods or soft ground whip the cover off and away ya go,I'm sure they could be found on the stick making sites and it's hazel for me.
cheers

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
My hazel walking staff actually has a leki rubber cap on the bottom. If I'm doing a lot of walking though I tend to take dedicated poles as I can strap them out of the way when not needed.... you can do the same if you cut your staff down and add a thread to it but I'm not sure if it would be as readily accessible as the telescopic ones.

For walking in the woods though you can't beat a hand cut hazel staff.. bliss

Matt

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cormac said:
carve the end of the stick to a little bigger than a piece of copper pipe

heat the pipe and put it on as it cools it shrinks fittin tightly to the wood if need be you can use a wedge to hold it on

Yup, I do something similar.
Taper the end of the stick.
Cut a short length of copper pipe and tap it gently over a mechanics socket that will just fit down the inside of the pipe - the idea is that you end up with a flared end that will go over the tapered end of your stick. Then tap this "ferrule" (using a larger socket if necessary) well onto the bottom end so that the stick protrudes at the bottom to give a bit of grip over rocks etc.

Ogri the trog

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I use hazel mostly. Hazel won't split when it seasons so can be peeled or left with the bark on. I use a piece of copper pipe on the bottom and hammer a few copper roofer's nails in the end to save on wear. The copper also doesn't skite off the rocks when you need to find a grip as it has some 'give'.

Eric

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hazel or Ash for me, but if you're after those new fangled antishock thingys that look like ski poles, Tesco are doing a pack of two for a tenner at the moment :D

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
I personally use holly and thats what we use as beating sticks on our shoot. We cut and harvest them on a three yearly basis (cut one year left to dry for two). Mind they rarely last longer than 2 years, but they do get a good bit of use against trees and beathers calfs(tough old bu%&ers on our shoot).

Might look for a decent bit of hazel this year tho with all its glowing reviews above

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE