Walking Staff / Quarterstaff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
As time goes on I'm beginning to see the usefulness and practicality of a pole for walking. I don't have much love for the metal telescoping variety but am thinking of crafting a 5 foot or so wooden staff. Just off the top of my head it would be great for...

-walking
-river crossing and wading
-quick tarp / poncho set up
-looking odd
-fishing?
-battling marauding highwaymen!
-looking odd

Am thinking of blackthorn or ash for the wood type and not too thick and heavy.

I'm toying with some kind of shoulder strap so the staff can be slung when scrambling and climbing.

Would love to hear any advice from those of you that carry a staff routinely and those of you who have made their own. Lets see some pictures for inspiration!

Cheers!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You can find some nice Blackthorn examples on ebay but they are expensive. I made my own from a small seasoned plumb tree a while back, the decorated it with antler, leather and silver trinkets. I had the idea the stick would come in handy to poke around in bushes (har har) when rooting for stuff, and to fend off those filthy cave dwelleing beasts!

I haven't used it much, but it's nice to have a little something to balance on and to prod with.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a couple of hazel staffs I've made myself. No piccies I'm afraid but hazel is good because you often see straight poles of the right thickness. What I like is that it doubles as a central pole for my small tipi or tarp if I'm backpacking. Good for testing the depth of water too.

I kept it simple - stripped the bark, sanded it, let it dry then a few coats of raw linseed oil and a rubber ferrule on the bottom.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
A while back I was making bamboo water features, I was using all sizes from garden cane size to 6" diameter. I made a very basic bamboo walking stick which I like to take for walks in the woods to poke and prod with.

Seasoned bamboo is light and very strong, it floats well to. Someone with basic tools could make a bamboo stick that has a internal pocket between the nodes to house a fire lighting kit and other small bits n pieces.

The only downside is you have to make sure you seal up the end grain as it splinters well, other than that its great stuff.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I made one from willow last year. Still have it. It also doubles as a monopod for my camera as I have a small table top tripod that can be strapped to the top of it :)

Willow bec0omes very light when it dries, and is still quite strong.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use a piece of rhododendron I cut. With the bark stripped off it's a lovely wood and seems to be holding up pretty well

Fatbob

Nomad
Jun 29, 2012
Godmanchester
Hi Matt, here's the one I use nearly every day, its 5ft Hazel with an ice spike on the end and Metal Triskele on the top, I've added two paracord grips and I have carved the wiccan symbols for the four elements and the spirit plus set a Tigers eye into it to keep me grounded.( have to admit though I have had a few comments about being gandalf)
May sound a bit hippy-ish but I'm a biker with a limp and it suits me down to the ground lol.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Here's a few pics of some of mine...may give you some ideas.

thumbstickwithantlertip.jpg

ashandantler001.jpg

carvedstick002.jpg

oakandantlerstaff001.jpg

baldheadedstaff001.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Here is mine, much plainer than some pictured here, it has done a fair few kilometers though.

Kit+inspection+Turkey.JPG

Having a loop that you can wrap around your wrist while you walk can be useful.

:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As time goes on I'm beginning to see the usefulness and practicality of a pole for walking. I don't have much love for the metal telescoping variety but am thinking of crafting a 5 foot or so wooden staff. Just off the top of my head it would be great for...

-river crossing and wading
-fishing?

Lets see some pictures for inspiration!

Cheers!

some nice carving on here. :You_Rock_

Although no good for walking, a weighted staff is best for crossing rivers/wading. [By a long shot]

I made this one from hazel, yacht varnish, sanded a block of buffalo horn into a handle, decorated with a celtic salmon using an awl, added a buffalo horn collar, wrapped an old lead roof tile around the bottom, and a bit of old plumbing pipe held in place with jubilee clips, and covered in heatshrink. The lanyard is attached with a jubilee clip, and a long brass screw connecter, glued into the staff and handle holds it together. Rubber ferule on foot.
I've crossed some powerful rivers in spate using this, and it works great. :)

If it wasnt weighted, I'd almost certainly have been swept off my feet.

P9212062_zpsd2552fba.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0601_zps13e548af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Theres already a piccy of my most favourite staff, thanking you very much, Andy :) My homegrown one has a button compass on the top now, set in at an angle on ash. I've yet to find an unfortunate mugger in the woods but am really looking forward to seeing how the spirits face looks in relief on their forehead after I've blatted them with it ;) I wish I'd got a cord recess at the top and a hook to help harvest high up stuff but it's light and personal. Andys is much more practical and ornate, a real thing of beauty and constant walk companion!

attachment.php

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I feel a bit embarrassed about my stick now after seeing some of the works of art already posted. It is a simple 'Paw' made from Hazel just over 4' long with a brass ferrule at the bottom.
I recently bought some antler for my knives there was one piece when I first saw it that just screamed 'I want to be a walking stick'. I think it looks a bit like a vulture or Gonzo from the muppet show ? It feels really good in the hand as well.I have clocked a piece of Hazel that would be perfect for it but didn't have a saw on me at the time so just need to go back & retrieve it.
I may leave the fur on the antler, as it looks like hair ?

DSCN2976.jpgDSCN2977.jpgDSCN2978.jpgDSCN2979.jpgDSCN2981.jpg

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
So...

In a moment of madness and after getting very in to the idea of a wooden staff I take a look at:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Products/carbon-fibre-tube-roll-wrapped-19mm.aspx

medium-carbon-fibre-tube.jpg

It's a nice carbon fibre pole for 50 quid. Was thinking it would be nice with a wrap on the top section to add a bit of diameter and obviously some sort of tip and end cap.

What's your thoughts on a modern take on the classic staff? Or even a combination of old and new styles...

Reminds me of a carbon canoe pole...

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Personally I think it is a bit naff ! ( no insult meant !) Very lightweight & strong which is an advantage, but otherwise : not very bushcrafty, expensive, same diameter all along the length, limited to what you can do to enhance it. Just my opinion no offence meant.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
now that is beautifull!!!

Theres already a piccy of my most favourite staff, thanking you very much, Andy :) My homegrown one has a button compass on the top now, set in at an angle on ash. I've yet to find an unfortunate mugger in the woods but am really looking forward to seeing how the spirits face looks in relief on their forehead after I've blatted them with it ;) I wish I'd got a cord recess at the top and a hook to help harvest high up stuff but it's light and personal. Andys is much more practical and ornate, a real thing of beauty and constant walk companion!

attachment.php

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE