Walking Staff / Quarterstaff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Your carbon fibre staff would be as individual as the wooden ones, as much as I like to go against the grain sometimes I agree this isn't the best material to make it from as I think it would feel flimsy, unless you could buy decreasing sized tubes to slot into each other. How about a staff multi tool? Turns into a fishing pole, tarp poles, spear, blowpipe,smaller poles make up a reflective SOS kite. Could be a winner:confused:
Might get expensive to make at the prices quoted on the website though.
I really wouldn't suit a gandalf looking staff, some can pull it off though.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had a walking staff which I liked a lot. See pix below. Thing is while I was carrying it around I felt more odd than comfortable. Bit like a Gandalf wannabe. So I sold it last year at The Moot to Interceptor Boy... maybe he still has it?

Moving on another year almost - Would you believe it I have since got myself an even more chunky spiraled staff now, with the hopes of using it when on walks and sod what Joe Public thinks of me having a Gandalf staff.

staff5_by_bikerbloke-d2zweh6.jpg

This was the carving I did, I was rather proud of it too.

staff3_by_bikerbloke-d2zwe7o.jpg

Reactions: CLEM

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
She's a beautiful lady ! and the staff is pretty spectacular too !
By the way are you related to Si King (the hairy biker) ? I bet this is not the first time you have been asked ? I reckon you could make a fortune as his double !!
Every time I read one of you posts I do it in a Geordie accent ???

I had a walking staff which I liked a lot. See pix below. Thing is while I was carrying it around I felt more odd than comfortable. Bit like a Gandalf wannabe. So I sold it last year at The Moot to Interceptor Boy... maybe he still has it?

Moving on another year almost - Would you believe it I have since got myself an even more chunky spiraled staff now, with the hopes of using it when on walks and sod what Joe Public thinks of me having a Gandalf staff.

staff3_by_bikerbloke-d2zwe7o.jpg

Biker

She's a beautiful lady ! and the staff is pretty spectacular too !
By the way are you related to Si King (the hairy biker) ? I bet this is not the first time you have been asked ? I reckon you could make a fortune as his double !!
Every time I read one of you posts I do it in a Geordie accent ???

I don't know whether to be offended or flattered LOL!

Nope, no one's every drawn a comparison between me and Si King, so that's a first and I'm not related to him that I know of either. The accent comment made me laugh, especially when I went to youtube to hear him speak. You couldn't be more wrong. I'm a soft southern jessie, born in S.E. London and had that "gaw blimey, luv a duck, Guv'nah!" accent until I was about 16 when I moved to Kent and sort of lost it over the years. I now have a neutral accent (at least I think I do)

Now if you want a Si King clone take a gander at Mad Dave, he even has the accent too... well Northern anyway

Thanks for the comments on the staff. I was really pleased with it, but it was spending more time leaning against the corner by the back door that I figured it was time to pass it on to someone who would give it some use. The latest one I have is a lot bulkier and stripped back to bare wood and all the knots sanded off smooth now. No plans for a carving on it yet, but it's begging for one! We'll see if inspiration calls by with a good idea.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Don't be offended mate ! But there is definitely a resemblance ! It's very difficult to pick accents up off the internet ! I have tried to read your reply in a 'Cockney accent' but apart from the words "gaw blimey, luv a duck, Guv'nah!" I am struggling ?? How weird is that ? Maybe I was a Geordie in a previous life ??

Nope, no one's every drawn a comparison between me and Si King, so that's a first and I'm not related to him that I know of either. The accent comment made me laugh, especially when I went to youtube to hear him speak. You couldn't be more wrong. I'm a soft southern jessie, born in S.E. London and had that "gaw blimey, luv a duck, Guv'nah!" accent until I was about 16 when I moved to Kent and sort of lost it over the years. I now have a neutral accent (at least I think I do)

Now if you want a Si King clone take a gander at Mad Dave, he even has the accent too... well Northern anyway

Thanks for the comments on the staff. I was really pleased with it, but it was spending more time leaning against the corner by the back door that I figured it was time to pass it on to someone who would give it some use. The latest one I have is a lot bulkier and stripped back to bare wood and all the knots sanded off smooth now. No plans for a carving on it yet, but it's begging for one! We'll see if inspiration calls by with a good idea.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I echo Bluezephyr. For functionality, bamboo cannot be bettered. Add in price to the equation, and its a no brainer. Also makes good, inexpensive, DIY no collapsible trekking poles. Reduce end splitting by dipping in epoxy or similar, and add rubber tips.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I echo Bluezephyr. For functionality, bamboo cannot be bettered. Add in price to the equation, and its a no brainer. Also makes good, inexpensive, DIY no collapsible trekking poles. Reduce end splitting by dipping in epoxy or similar, and add rubber tips.

And it sounds like rounds and grenades going off when you burn the stuff. Always grabs folks attention. It's pretty wonderful stuff, Japan uses it as scaffolding, you can cook in it, make boxes/containers and pretend you're Grasshopper and make a flute. The splinters can be nasty though.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Lol no insult taken! I don't think I have marketed my idea to you well enough that's all!! Wait till you see the pictures you'll be right on to carbon fibre .com lol:)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Aaron, tis soooo nice to see a female spirit on a staff! Is it much harder to do? I'm guessing for a beautiful face, the symmetry and fine, flat finish are important which must be difficult...and theres a kinda convex rounding rather than the usual craggy style for older male spirits?
now that is beautifull!!!
Gosh, thank you very much :) I did love doing it, I'm sure he was waiting for me to find him lurking in there!

My staff is a four foot piece of spotted gum, with a BMX stunt -peg* screwed to each end-- fairly heavy, but good for upper body exercising [especially if you have done aikido jo staff training] as well as general staff type stuff. Sorry, no pics, am in transit in Singapore, will try on return to Oz. * at least that's what they are called in Oz -- the cylindrical thingies that screw to the rear axle of BMX bikes to stand on.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

See with a name like Biker it was an easy mistake, I now have it in my head as "Non-Hairy Byker Grove".:) Liked the BC Betty carving n your old staff by the way.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It's funny that strange metal poles that you can buy in any outdoors shop are deemed acceptable but ones cut from that which grows all around us are not. Use it Aaron and don't worry what people think.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's funny that strange metal poles that you can buy in any outdoors shop are deemed acceptable but ones cut from that which grows all around us are not. Use it Aaron and don't worry what people think.

The reason for the metal being (acceptable), is that it's got a consistent strength for poles and ice axe handles, and they have to be rated. Wood, though often better isn't consistent and so a rating cant be put on it. I prefer my wooden sticks.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think a staff is overkill and, again, too Gandalfy/fantasy quest for my liking.
I've got a nice stout stick which I use whilst ferreting, pheasant beating, bimbling around - I removed the rubber end in favour of the metal tip, which makes a good sound when tapping up a barbed wire fence. Got a nice terrier head handle too.

Elen Sentier

I think a staff is overkill and, again, too Gandalfy/fantasy quest for my liking.
I've got a nice stout stick which I use whilst ferreting, pheasant beating, bimbling around - I removed the rubber end in favour of the metal tip, which makes a good sound when tapping up a barbed wire fence. Got a nice terrier head handle too.

I love the spade-stand ... and the toffee-apple-thingies !!!

Elen Sentier

I love those ivy/honeysuckle-twist staffs, got one meself but not long enough for general walking for me. Still on the lookout for one that might also do as a stang. That's a nice piece of carving too :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The reason for the metal being (acceptable), is that it's got a consistent strength for poles and ice axe handles, and they have to be rated. Wood, though often better isn't consistent and so a rating cant be put on it. I prefer my wooden sticks.

I don't think he was referring to practicality when he said "acceptable." I think he meant the funny looks people give when they see somebody with a wooden staff.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't think he was referring to practicality when he said "acceptable." I think he meant the funny looks people give when they see somebody with a wooden staff.

You're probably right, because I live rurally I see metal sticks as strange as most of my peers and friends use wooden sticks/staffs. It's a bit of a winter pastime up here making sticks and tying flies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE