Walking Poles

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek:
Peching up a brae, is when one is breathing hard going uphill. Puffing laboured breaths on the steep bits.

I thought I was being clear too :dunno: sorry folks.

Best of luck finding poles that suit :)

atb,
Mary

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a seriously dodgy knee and use poles to come down the steeper bits when I'm in the mountains (they also serve to hold up the tarp so they're worth the weight in the pack). I have had both cheap and expensive pairs and have found that neither has lasted very long. As a result I have made myself a hazel walking staff topped with a bit of antler which cost me next to nothing and seems to do the job well enough. However, I have to leave it at home when I'm out with SWMBO as she says she is not going for a walk with Gandalf...

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:eek:
Peching up a brae, is when one is breathing hard going uphill. Puffing laboured breaths on the steep bits.

I thought I was being clear too :dunno: sorry folks.

Best of luck finding poles that suit :)

atb,
Mary

LOL ... I do a lot of puffing so must add the phrase to my glossary (just to be clear !!!) :rolleyes: :cool:. I'm getting loads of good advice and the chance to try some stuff out :crutch: ... this forum is great :red:

GB - Je n' sais quoi que vous avez dire ... :surrender:

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
GB - Je n' sais quoi que vous avez dire ... :surrender:

I kent fit ye wir pertainin' tae quiney so dinnie fash.

I knew what you were pertaining too Madam so keep calm.

Hope that helped Elen, peching and peched oot are great phrases. I do like listening to Mary type(I know that doesn't read well but it's what I do as having met her I place the accents and phrases in her voice). Although I'm a bit of a spelling and grammar Nazi at work, in an informal setting like this I love the regional dialects and turns of speech. Just no text speak.

On the OP if you can try as many poles from folk the better, I sold poles for many years and got numerous pairs to trial and test. Some things work, others don't. A lot of folk complain that poles don't last, this is down to lack of maintenance in about 80% of cases so once you get a set give me a shout and I'll go over how to look after them properly. Only takes a few minutes and saves a lot of money in the long run.

ATB,
Colin.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I kent fit ye wir pertainin' tae quiney so dinnie fash.

I knew what you were pertaining too Madam so keep calm.

Hope that helped Elen, peching and peched oot are great phrases. I do like listening to Mary type ...

ATB,
Colin.

Superb piece of translation, sir!

I love it too, the Scottish and the typing ... Mary's spell checker prob needs counselling! I'll ask for the course in pole maintenance IDC. Use of civil service acronyms ... :)

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Mountain King Super Trekker poles, about £50 a pair, British made and well established poles with good reviews. I have had mine for a about 2 years without any issues.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Google says you can get the Mountain King Super Trekker poles for around £30 now. I recently bought a pair of Karrimor X-Lite poles from Sports Direct for £30 - carbon fibre poles with flick locks and foam grips.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've got them to use with the TrailStar, ill let you know how i get on.

But I mainly got them for the cam lock at the top. I'm sick of twist lock poles, just a faff :)

Yeah I do like the look of the design, and i'm sure Ron wouldn't be stocking them if he didn't believe they were up to supporting shelters.

I suppose the only problem you might encounter is if you need to pitch the Trailstar in super storm mode as the minimum length on these is 120cm I think?

Would like a closer look when they arrive

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE