Walking Poles

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's your budget Elen? If you can stretch to £76 I highly recommend Pacer Poles

What type of terrain will you use them in?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
TK Maxx in Maylord Orchards have some sets of walking poles, also try going into "Treasure Island" in Berrington street, they had some last time I was in there.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The hills are strewn with bits of cheap walking poles, I've never seen a really cheap set last. Handy though, its easy to find a bit of ally pole for stake :)

This is approaching the right time of year to get a bargain, you should be able to pick a decent pair up on clearance.

IME, the handle is just as important as the pole-the better makes generally have comfier grips that won't blister and don't let the cold conduct to your hands as much. Any old pole will do for the woods though, depends on what terrain your going to.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Total cross post with Teepee :eek:
Oh well, we can both only say as we find.

Walking poles are very good things, especially when I ache from head to foot.
My advice is don't break the bank while you try them out; the ones sold in Lidl's and Aldi's are very sound, and from personal experience manage everything from Neolithic to Medieval fieldwalking, burn louping, dry stane dyke clambering, and peching up a brae too :D

The important bits are, (since the poles themselves seem to be securely sturdy enough, if of differing weights) is, do they lock securely to your chosen length? and can you replace the end bits if needed ? It's easier to manage with the wide end bits in snow and slush I find, while wet-wet areas are pretty good with the stabby ends.

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Elen

Ive used cheap and ive used expensive. You get what you pay for. The best budget ones i have are by vango and cost me £30. If you are coming to Derbyshire meet (im only there on the friday) i'll put both sets in the car for you to try.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a pair of Black Diamond aluminium ones that were around £50, they are still going strong. An advantage of Hazel ones might be that you will have a better idea of when they might be about to fail, Aluminium ones, if they are cheap and cheerful ones or are not stored properly might fail with no warning, inconvenient if you are on a morning walk, possibly dangerous if you are using them to aid your descent down a steep slope.

Poles are fabulous things if you plan to walk any distance, especially with a pack on your back. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Elen

Ive used cheap and ive used expensive. You get what you pay for. The best budget ones i have are by vango and cost me £30. If you are coming to Derbyshire meet (im only there on the friday) i'll put both sets in the car for you to try.

That's a very good offer :approve: but I can truthfully say that it was the £70 Leki poles that snapped and my cheapo Lidl ones are still going strong.

cheers,
Toddy

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Just a thought but if you subscribe to country walking magazine for £35 you get a free pair of fizan poles worth £60 they get good reviews.also I got some karrimor ones that were £15 used them last week on snowden and they were good for my 16 stone I use them going down hill cause of my dodgy knee they really help :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Elen, I'd be careful of the pacer poles with your joint problems. It's a very raked handle and can put undue pressure on the joints especially if your not on flat ground. Really meant as a pole for fast flat ground walking and not great on inclines at all.

Antishock inserts add to weight and again unless you are either particularly heavy of going like a rocket not really needed. It's also something else to go wrong and need cleaned. Better to spend the money on a simple better quality pole rather than a cheap one with lots of features.

If grip can be a problem then adjusting threaded poles can be a problem. Might be worth looking at "flicklocks" which are stronger and will outlast all the threaded ones by years. LINK

Good straps are worth it too, you don't want to be gripping a pole tightly all day, you're supposed to hang from the straps so using your skeleton rather than gripping and getting pumped.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've had a set of cheap Aldi poles for years without significant problems, and they are still in one piece. One thing I will say is that pole really do make a difference when you are walking, and I can think of one or two trips where the poles were the difference between getting home tired and getting home exhausted. They also help prevent falls.

Remind me, and I'll bring mine with me on the weekend.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Elen, I'd be careful of the pacer poles with your joint problems. It's a very raked handle and can put undue pressure on the joints especially if your not on flat ground. Really meant as a pole for fast flat ground walking and not great on inclines at all.

Antishock inserts add to weight and again unless you are either particularly heavy of going like a rocket not really needed. It's also something else to go wrong and need cleaned. Better to spend the money on a simple better quality pole rather than a cheap one with lots of features.

If grip can be a problem then adjusting threaded poles can be a problem. Might be worth looking at "flicklocks" which are stronger and will outlast all the threaded ones by years. LINK

Good straps are worth it too, you don't want to be gripping a pole tightly all day, you're supposed to hang from the straps so using your skeleton rather than gripping and getting pumped.

Think some people would pay extra for that! :p PS Nice quote in your sig as well, always good to see some Firefly references. :)

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a pair of Leki traveller poles £65. Anti shock, cork handles. The poles come with a pair of fingerless cloves and a quick release connector on each glove and pole. If your out all day the gloves are a god send, as releasing the hands to do tasks is easy. No effort needed to keep contact with cork grips. No blisters. I would invest the extra few ££ for the benefit of comfort, function and quality. Try before you buy in the shop, if you have to. Hand grip is more important than longevity. You want to enjoy the walk with a free mind, not be focusing on controlling a walking aid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE