Walking for weight loss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Artificially raising your exercise level is the least effective means of weight loss. At 100kg you burn only 167 calories per mile walked. If you intend to eat a recommended 3000 calories a day to achieve a noticeable weight loss you really need to be walking 3 - 4 miles a day! As soon as you stop you will put weight back on!

Agreed. But the normal recommended daily intake for healthy people who are NOT trying to lose weight is only 2000 calories, not 3000. It only goes up to 2800 for AIDS patients and the chronically thin. Or even up to your referenced 3000 for GIs in the field.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Well according to my scales i have hit 100Kgs.......

The heaviest i have ever been.
I am rocking a 46" chest, 39" waist and am quite unhappy with my body.

So time for a change, i am going to walk my way to a slimmer waist.

I do walk a bit, maybe a few 4-5 milers a month to get out the house, but from now on im going to try and up this to 2-3 times a week.

Today was my first and walked a path i have not been along yet, was only 3.71 miles but its a start.
Will try and find a way to make it longer as its a very nice walk.
Also i will be doing this with an 8Kg pack that will get heavier the fitter i get.

About the same as me and my thinking. I'm going to try and get out as much as possible (weather permitting) this summer and hopefully this will increase health a bit and help with motivation to keep it going as much as possible. Walking for pleasure and exercise at same time, two birds one stone :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hi Santa. You do seem to cross swords with me a lot on minute detail.

Guidance here on the NHS website is for an average man. A 100kg man is not average. Certainly 20% larger. A physically active man is not average either.

You said 2000 calories which is recommended for an average woman. That might well produce decent weight loss in a 100kg man.

Because of my past sporting background, active lifestyle and my height I carry far more muscle than average. I completely screw up the BMI scales. Maintenance for me too is in the 3000 calorie region.

Regardless. A low calorie diet with a gradual incremental increase over time is the way to go. It's an opportunity over time to reeducate yourself about how much you should eat and become accustomed to the new regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Two things helped me loose weight, the slow loss was things like using smaller plates, cutting out/reducing some foods. The fastest way of loosing weight for me was having TB (Tuberculosis) which I'd not recommend, grim all round to be honest;)

Whatever diet you choose to loose weight you need to eat less fuel (food) than you need and to do this very very very slowly.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hey Rik. Legionnaires Disease did me over a stone in a week as a young man. At that point I didn't have it to lose either!

Curable, serious illness probably has a future as a celebrity weight loss programme .

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santa. You do seem to cross swords with me a lot on minute detail.

Guidance here on the NHS website is for an average man. A 100kg man is not average. Certainly 20% larger. A physically active man is not average either.

You said 2000 calories which is recommended for an average woman. That might well produce decent weight loss in a 100kg man....

Actually I'm agreeing with you on the data you linked; there's not a lot of difference between it and what I originally said (2000 per day as I said vs 2200 per day as per your link) It was your original post of 3000 per day that I questioned.

A few decades ago the FAA considered an "average" man to be about 180 pounds and an "average" woman to be about 160. That was in the 1950s, before the current obesity problem. Yeah, now the average man is probably around 100 kilos (220 pounds) I think the term we're really looking for though is "healthy weight" rather than "average weight."

One would think that 2000 calories would cause an average active man to lose weight. But it hasn't been my experience. I've been on diets as low as 1000 per day (Dr prescribed) and it worked for a while, until I plateaued about a month into it.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
100kgs is either seriously buff or quite fat. Certainly 20% above a healthily weight for most folks.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx

The NHS recommend 2500 Calories for an average man not 2200 calories. I trust I have adequately explained why being either 20% bigger than average or more active in lifestyle will require a 20% uplift in calories to maintain weight.

An MOD ration pack is also about 3000 calories but most of us struggle to gorp down that amount unless we are seriously active.

The Cambridge diet I recommend. But it's first stage is Sole Source at 450 to 600 calories. You don't plateau. You might drop as low as losing 4 to 5lbs a week. However eating soups and shakes only takes serious will power.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The NHS recommend 2500 Calories for an average man not 2200 calories. ....

Yes your link (the NHS site) recommended 2500 for an average man. And 2000 for an average woman. That averages to 2250 for an average "adult." That compilation was necessary to make an apples to apples comparison with the FDA recommendations as they don't differentiate between men and women.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....An MOD ration pack is also about 3000 calories but most of us struggle to gorp down that amount unless we are seriously active.....

Same here with MREs. A days worth (3 MREs) contain between 3000 and 3600 calories) But as I said earlier, that amount is for GIs in the field. But I didn't know anybody who ate the whole thing; not because it was especially filling (they aren't) but because few people liked everything in any given one. You'd always pick and choose from the contents and still be hungry.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
When you find yourself in a hole generally to stop digging is best advice. Are you offering average calorie intake for a Hermaphrodite there mate?

*Shakes head*

Any way it's a slow night on TV. Feel free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
100kgs is either seriously buff or quite fat. Certainly 20% above a healthily weight for most folks.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx....

I've seen the charts and generally I agree. But the chart shows most people between 6' and 6'2" to still be at a healthy weight until between 85 and 90 kilos. What's your average height over there now? And where's the allowance for age?

I know that back when I was under 100 kilos, I could I was skinny enough that I could stick out my tongue and imitate a zipper.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm 6'2" and I'd be considered average for an adult male now (it was fairly tall when I was younger) My 12 year old grandson's nearly 5'10" and he's among the shorter boys in his class.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
You live in a castle in the clouds perhaps? Only way in a beanstalk?

I'm rolling about thinking that your world is full of 6'2" Trans-sexuals all feeling a bit peckish because they are short on calories.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope. But it's just reality. As I've stated in past threads, the average American has gained 1 inch in height per generation from the late 1700s until the 1960s. The next generation showed no change and then it began again. You can't be competitive in basketball anymore if under 6'6' on a professional or collegiate level or under 6'3" on a high school level.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
***! What don't you get about average?

In the USA you have Caribbean an Mexicans that pull your White average man height down to about 5'9" too.

You are not an arian super race. At 220lbs a 6'2 man of average musculature is getting a bit porky.

Live with it !

In my experience of living in the States your issue is portion control.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
***! What don't you get about average?

In the USA you have Caribbean an Mexicans that pull your White average man height down to about 5'9" too....

TBH I've no idea what the official current averages are here. Just know what I see. And that 12 year old grandson I spoke of? He's Caribbean (half Puerto Rican) And my Mexican friends and Panamanian family re all over 6'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE