W.I.P Recycled Maple floor into a folding bucksaw.(pretty much finished)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey chaps.
Last year I managed to grab a little Maple, I think, from a sprung floor that was being scrapped. I was always of a mind to make a buck saw with some of the strips. So, today I got started. As you can see the flooring is from Canada, Muskoka red deer brand. Lovely wood, and a dream to carve.
On one side its hard to tell its from flooring planks, but on the other it is clear. I may well leave it as is, not sure yet. I'm faffing with an organic design, and the blade will be hidden and protected in the wood when collapsed. No idea how it will turn out. It does work though, I assembled it and cut a few logs. So I'm happy already.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Err.. how much are the woodlore ones again ?

Attachments

• SAM_9645.jpg
    SAM_9645.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 119
  • SAM_9647.jpg
    SAM_9647.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 119
  • SAM_9649.jpg
    SAM_9649.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 118
  • SAM_9653.jpg
    SAM_9653.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 118
  • SAM_9655.jpg
    SAM_9655.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
So I was in the shed at 8 am this morning, finishing off. Sanded and a little oil. All I need to do now is replace the cord with leather, and get some nicer bolts.
Has anyone used leather for cord? is it strong enough. My gut tells me yes.
I'm also thinking about inlaying some leather at the handle area. I've rounded the hand area off slightly, and its very comfortable as is. I'll tinker with it. I'm chuffed to be able to add it to my kit, and at a very low cost. Oh, and I need to make a canvas and leather bag don't I... this lark is never ending :rolleyes:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 78
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 78

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
That's finished up very nicely. I've had a stack of oak flooring for years but can't decide whether to cut it up for projects or use it as flooring. One day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE