A 21" blade, folding buck saw.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy chaps, I've been a little busy of late with projects that have been waiting for the right wood/time/inspiration. so rather than whack up a monster one I thought id do a few separate threads so buckle up and hold on to your Swandri's.

Just before winter kicked in, the lime tree in our garden had to be trimmed as a branch was in danger of destroying the house behind us, so when the surgeon tipped up I asked for, and got the whole lot, four large branches.
I then started a few projects.

First I carved the toggle for the tension cord from a piece of maple from a tree felled a while back over the road from me.
IMG01764-20110322-1227.jpg

log split for the folding buck saw.
IMG01779-20110323-1654.jpg

slimmed and roughed out, mock up for mesuring.
IMG01780-20110323-1700.jpg

shaped.
IMG01782-20110323-1932.jpg

marking out for the joints.
IMG01787-20110324-0749.jpg

carving the first joint.
IMG01796-20110325-1201.jpg

IMG01797-20110325-1207.jpg

IMG01800-20110325-1604.jpg

the whittling fool. making the cross slices in the previous pic.
IMG01801-20110325-1612.jpg

first joint finished.
IMG01799-20110325-1459.jpg

and the next.
IMG01802-20110325-1726.jpg

then to B&Q for a 21" peg toothed blade.
IMG01808-20110326-1236.jpg

now to adjust for the blade width.
IMG01809-20110326-1300.jpg

I drew this so I would know how much I had removed while adjusting the width of the cross bar to fit the blade.
IMG01810-20110326-1302.jpg

once done all that remained was to saw the slots for the blade and drill holes for the bolts to retain the blade. and good sand down and oiled with boiled linseed oil.

here it is in bits.
DSCF3738.jpg

And together, it is great to use very sturdy yet light.

lime wood folding buck saw.
DSCF3739.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
now that is impressive,how long to make in total?

I reckon if you sat and worked on it solidly it would take about four hours, but as i had to let the wood dry a little after each stage, it took about a week from splitting out the log to finish, the log had been in the pile for around five months.

Lovely bit of work there... goodjob :)

Many thanks Matey!! it doesn't half feel good to make proper tools.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
brilliant, but then you already knew that,...;)

you taking it to the woods on Wednesday dude?...

did you finish the tool bag?

are you a hobbit?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Cracking we saw Mate , just a good size to go in your pack .

I've been meaning to make one for a while .

This could be another one for the Bushcraft olympics , split a log make the saw then cut a tree down .

Craig................

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks great! tried it out while on a camp/forage?

Your knife looks fantastic btw! is that curly birch scales?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cracking we saw Mate , just a good size to go in your pack .

I've been meaning to make one for a while .

This could be another one for the Bushcraft olympics , split a log make the saw then cut a tree down .

Craig................

Thank chap, I will get a good work out tomorrow and Thursday while me a mate have a camp out. Very excited about getting it working hard and seeing if my workmanship is up to task.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Your workmanship is up to the task and a new blade so no worries there , the wood is the only thing that can fail
but you won't know till you get out and give it some serious use .

With timber being a natural product you can't be 100% sure how it will perform till you give it some !

Have a good camp out .

Craig...............

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Looks great! tried it out while on a camp/forage?

Your knife looks fantastic btw! is that curly birch scales?

Thank you matey, It's a Julius Petterson hand forged 25th anniversary woodlore, in a Blacksheep(member here and great maker) cross draw sheath. I only used and axe, knife, spoon knife, folding saw, tennon saw(though that isn't necessary), sand paper and a battery powered drill to make the saw and boiled linseed oil for protection.

Biker

Nice work Southey! I'm impressed you started off with something so rustic and ended up with a very fancy piece of kit. Most of us might have gone to B&Q and bought a chunk of beech instead. Nice one.

One tip when using it as with any saw. Let it do the work. Leaning on it pressing down hard on the blade, pushing too hard etc, all makes for extra effort. Slight pressure and let it glide through the wood is the way to go and not get too knackerd in the process. But then you knew that already.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nice work Southey! I'm impressed you started off with something so rustic and ended up with a very fancy piece of kit. Most of us might have gone to B&Q and bought a chunk of beech instead. Nice one.

One tip when using it as with any saw. Let it do the work. Leaning on it pressing down hard on the blade, pushing too hard etc, all makes for extra effort. Slight pressure and let it glide through the wood is the way to go and not get too knackerd in the process. But then you knew that already.

Cheers dudes!, used it over the last two days while out and its ace, only a slight adjustment to increase the amount of tension on offer, but very happy with.

Thank you all for your comments dudes!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Cheers dudes!, used it over the last two days while out and its ace, only a slight adjustment to increase the amount of tension on offer, but very happy with.

Thank you all for your comments dudes!

It's quite scary just how much tension these blades need to make them work efficiently .

Glad it worked well , kinda satisfying using something that you made yourself even more so when it works well .

Craig..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE