Asking a favour from those on Facebook (pretty please)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There's a group there called the Chippy shop, basically it's a place for Carpenters to post their work I suppose. I only joined it the other day after an old friend invited me. Anyway they're currently running a solid oak worktop contest that says the winner is the one whose photo of their work gets the most likes. Simple eh?

The group contacted me today suggesting I tag friends in the posting to encourage them to like it. Seems this is NOT considered cheating :nono:. However I feel I can do one better than that and that's go to my favourite forum on t'internets and ask you to like the posting and thus put me in the running to win. (Mercenary git that I am.:naughty:)

Edit July 12th: Just so's you know I didn't win this comp, but I wasn't that worried about it. The winner rolled in with a massive 690 likes. I had 96. So big thanks to those who took the time. I did get a message from the organiser saying he was impressed I'd joined the worktops with huge mitres and said I could have a runners up prize. So I got sent a chopping board made out of Zebrano... which I could make some really nice knife scales out of! :rolleyes:

So here's a pic of what I made. Cut and fitted three 38mm thick solid oak worktops in a less than traditional style by mitreing the corners instead of doing a conventional T joint. This is just a third of the kitchen, the rest is off camera. I also made the units the worktops are sat on and those on the wall.

The only sad thing is that I've done this for a customer instead of doing it for my own cabin in the woods... oh well can't win 'em all eh.

Edit July 12th: A few folks wanted to see what this kitchen looked like once the doors were made and fitted so here are some more pix of it as it stood at the end of last week. I've been working on the back kitchen/utility room for the last couple of weeks. it looks pretty cluttered at the moment but most of the stuff piled on the worktops and wall units will end up in the back kitchen eventually

The whole kitchen is made of solid panel wood, no MDF or chipboard at all. Over here in France you can buy tablet wood in Oak and various grades of pine from utter cr@p to pretty decent stuff. 18mm thick in 2m long planks 200, 300, 400, 500, & 600mm wide. This is what was bought and I made into the units. My workmate David did all the plumbing and the natural stone (Travertine) flooring and splash backs. There's still some minor finishing off to do on the wall units on the left of the last photo with 2 glass window doors and a pelmet where the bottles are shelved, as well as a small bookcase and spice rack under the peninsular unit overhang.

The job satisfaction for this work is off the chart for me. I am sooooo proud of it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Liked :).......and as a fellow chippy I'd like to say nice job!

Would like to see some pictures of the doors when you've made them?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Liked :).......and as a fellow chippy I'd like to say nice job!

Would like to see some pictures of the doors when you've made them?

Thanks! Praise indeed!

The doors are simple 18mm thick flat panels made up of pieces of Oak rather like the worktops. No frills, just a pencil round routed on the vertical edges, but they're going to look great once it's all done and fitted. I will indeed post some photos of the final thing. The splash back of natural stone 400mm x 600mm travertine tiles was fitted by my workmate last week and that really looks good.

Thanks for taking the time to click on the like folks. Much appreciated. ;)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks! Praise indeed!

The doors are simple 18mm thick flat panels made up of pieces of Oak rather like the worktops. No frills, just a pencil round routed on the vertical edges, but they're going to look great once it's all done and fitted. I will indeed post some photos of the final thing. The splash back of natural stone 400mm x 600mm travertine tiles was fitted by my workmate last week and that really looks good.

Thanks for taking the time to click on the like folks. Much appreciated. ;)

I look fowrd to seeing the finished job :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE