W. Gilpin Vintage Fireman's axe

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had this 30 years now, I used to use it in my work as a carpenter on the rare occaision I needed to use an axe, but now I have better axes and this one is consigned to a nail on the shelf. So rather than see it neglected I thought I'd pass it on to someone who would appreciate these vintage tools.

No idea of the age but I'm guessing it was 20+ years old when I got it in 1982. So you're looking at 50+ years.

The steel in this is the hardest I have ever seen, someone on a building site I worked on years ago borrowed it to split a piece of wood he used a hammer on the point of the spike. (no I didn't see them trying this, would have slapped them had I been there) end result was his Estwing 20oz hammer head showed tiny pock marks and the spike was unblemished. I was impressed ... once I cooled down a bit.

I would like £25 (or near offer) for this please. That includes P&P within the UK.

Firemansaxe1.jpg

Firemansaxe2.jpg

Firemansaxe3.jpg

Feb 22, 2013
gillingham kent
I was a fireman in Kent for 38 years. The axe was removed from the personal issue. A mistake I personally think was dreamt up by someone sitting at a desk, with a pen and mouse handy. Just in case of emergency. I retired in 2005.
I would be only too glad to offer your full asking price. This axe would bring back some old memories

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I think I may have an recenter ( if that's a word ) version of the W.Gilpin firemans axe.

It's a nice thing to hold, it's a narrow profile as you can see in the photo.

May I ask, what where these axes design to do, chop, with a profile as this?

I hope somebody may shed some light.

Thank you.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Forgot to add the photos.

0cef76b45b9c1f8cce587f84c4e3d511.jpg

dccda851dcfb79ced5770398c06e27a9.jpg

As you can see it's a narrow profile.

Where these designed for smashing doors in an emergency.

Would thing type of profile be good for other jobs?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If I remember right this sort of fire axe was based ( as in identical) on a earlier stock item that they made for the Royal Navy as a boarding axe. If I had the spare dosh I'd have it myself. Off the top of my head its something like the 1856 model.

atb

tom

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Interesting, a good history for this design of axe.

A good chopping axe, I saw some YouTube videos last night, a handy pry bar and a great quality steel.

The more modern ones had a full tang metal handle coated in rubber and test insulated to 20,000 volts.

It weighs 2 and a half pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE