Voluntarily handing in a large blade to the UK police

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Quick question: I have a large, new, unused Gerber BMF survival knife. All these new UK laws coming in will categorise it - there's a saw-back and the blade is large - as a zombie knife, which it really isn't. Really, I just can't be bothered trying to understand what is legal now, or in the future.

So, due to the fact that it's not the sort of thing that'll ever sell in the UK (I tried), any advice on simply taking it down (securely wrapped) to my local police station for them to destroy? Any potential problems with that? If so, would an ordinary junior hacksaw (don't own a vice) 'easily' reduce it to small non-threatening metal pieces.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Quick question: I have a large, new, unused Gerber BMF survival knife. All these new UK laws coming in will categorise it - there's a saw-back and the blade is large - as a zombie knife, which it really isn't. Really, I just can't be bothered trying to understand what is legal now, or in the future.

So, due to the fact that it's not the sort of thing that'll ever sell in the UK (I tried), any advice on simply taking it down (securely wrapped) to my local police station for them to destroy? Any potential problems with that? If so, would an ordinary junior hacksaw (don't own a vice) 'easily' reduce it to small non-threatening metal pieces.
Just wondering what the source is for this new law being applied, I couldn't find anything?

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Nothing definite, but that's the way it's heading. The 'look' of a blade is what it's all about: Is it large, does it have cut outs, are there words to suggest fantasy violence, does it have a saw-back edge, is it a Rambo type knife? Yes, more about how it appears than how effective it is. Didn't bookmark anything, and I can't give any pointers, but that's the way it's going.

For me, I'm just too lazy to be keeping an eye out for the latest changes. Just not worth the hassle. They mentioned later this year. Government are trying to get real zombie knives off the streets, but unfortunately, that umbrella pulls in other 'useful' blades. I read - might've been an online newspaper, of up to £15 compensation per blade. These were all suggestions from government, but as I said... ain't got time for all that nonsense.

Reactions: Paul_B and Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just want to say Well Done. Very well done.

If you really don’t want it and can’t find anyone else who will take the responsibility then handing it in is the very best option.
I’d like to hear about your experience. Were you welcomed or did you feel judged at all etc?
I sincerely hope that it’s done objectively and professionally.

Very Best,
Pat.

Edited to punctuate.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

You've tried selling it here and failed? and so you are going to turn it in for nowt? Just want to understand fully.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@spokenword cannot legally “gift It on” even if the knife is collected.

I can see all sorts of ways that the metal could be used or the knife modified, possibly to make two knives but they don’t want the faf.

I applaud their decision.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Under the proposed legislation it will be illegal to own such a tool. It cannot be sold or given. I’ve only found one grey area concerning transfer and that is inheriting it. Even then it will be illegal to own it.

As for posting it anywhere ………..

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Thanks for all the answers. Forgive me if I don't answer each one individually.

Sorted, have a friend with a proper garage workshop in which there's a powerful metal cutting saw:

1. Can't sell it, as I can't personally verify age, address or keep the buyers scanned photo ID on record in case it's used unlawfully. Also, heavy fines and/or other punishment for selling to anyone under 18.
2. Even if I could, no carrier will take it in the UK. Not this type of knife.
3. Taking it to a third party courier shop - using their enhanced courier status - means that anyone buying the knife needs to contact the shop owner, then hand over all personal details including scan of driving license or passport. He won't entertain the idea without that. He also wants to see details of the person buying from this Bushcraft website, meaning how long they've registered here. This is a person who's been running a DHL/FedEx shop for over nine years.
4. Have never used or touched it in over 25 years, so hardly think I'll suddenly find a use for it.
5. I'm lazy and just can't be bothered anymore. Spent too long on it and too much travelling to the shop to answer questions from people who say they want to buy but never come back.
6. Having a clear out.

Anyway, thanks again for all the answers. Looked into the police bin idea suggested above, but not sure if it's actually anonymous. Looks very official, and would rather not be on a 'list'. So, a simpler solution has been found.

Last edited:

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Under the proposed legislation it will be illegal to own such a tool. It cannot be sold or given. I’ve only found one grey area concerning transfer and that is inheriting it. Even then it will be illegal to own it.

As for posting it anywhere ………..

What proposed legislation? I feel like I’ve missed something!

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Here's something to be going on with. I can't remember where I read about there being £15 compensation per knife. Could be wrong on that. I'm thinking that this will be stage one, and that stage two will be all large hunting and Bowie knives etc, regardless of whether they have a saw back or menacing words printed on the blade. Some of the large American custom jobs are extremely expensive. Will be interesting to see how UK owners reac. If you do a search on 'Zombie knife definition', that should give you an idea of what the government thinks should be banned:

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

#

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I had a look at the knife in question online. I dont think it would fall under thedefinition of a zombie knife, or any illegal knife at all. Yes, it has an edge and a saw back, bit it has no wording which suggests use as a weapon against another human form, and has no holes in the blade. I, personally, wouldn't worry. I have knives, indeed, i have made knives like the one you have, i was invited to take part in the gov survey, i had a reply defining their intentions... and i can say with all honesty, that such a knife was never the target of the legislation.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I had a look at the knife in question online. I dont think it would fall under thedefinition of a zombie knife, or any illegal knife at all. Yes, it has an edge and a saw back, bit it has no wording which suggests use as a weapon against another human form, and has no holes in the blade. I, personally, wouldn't worry. I have knives, indeed, i have made knives like the one you have, i was invited to take part in the gov survey, i had a reply defining their intentions... and i can say with all honesty, that such a knife was never the target of the legislation.

I was thinking the same - Zombie knives are mass produced low priced , low engineered P.O.S - The Gerber is a different beast all together with definite heritage and provenance.

I can understand why its causing you concern but really do feel its worth having a word with some police officers before you do what you seem to be thinking of.

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE