Voluntarily handing in a large blade to the UK police

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

66jj99

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
From a policeprofessional.com article:

"Specific exemptions will be made for legitimate articles, such as objects of historical importance and those that are hand-made, to avoid negative impacts on the antiques market and British-made industries that rely on top-end, high-value blades that are highly unlikely to end up in the hands of criminals."

Perhaps all is not lost.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Throw it in the river. Future archaeologists will be able to study it then and determine the typology. If you hand it into the old Bill it will further stigmatise and demonise working knives.

Reactions: Seagull

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Yes yes…
Dont panic mister mannering! ;)

(Potentially showing my age there Lol!)
Captain Mainwaring:): I grew up with it, my dad’s all time favourite comedy, he would be sputtering, rolling in laughter. Still have all the episodes on DVD that he’d bought. I think it was that it was his era that also gave it appeal.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Throw it in the river. Future archaeologists will be able to study it then and determine the typology. If you hand it into the old Bill it will further stigmatise and demonise working knives.

In the river….for a magnet fisherman to find, and take to the police as a suspected murder weapon that was dropped in the river to dispose of. :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Mesquite

Falstaff

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
The hedgelaying enthusiasts are going to have trouble with these new laws then, as they are not "professionals" - bet they come out with some expensive new licencing law. A machete is a very useful bit of kit in the right context.

Kiri

Dec 5, 2010
London
The new ban on zombie-style knives and machetes will only apply to the Gerber BMF if it has a blade length over 8” I am not sure what version yours is, but understand there were versions with a 7.75” and 9” blade.

The 9” will become illegal to own on 24 September.

A surrender and compensation scheme will launch in August and if you still have the receipt / proof of value you should be able to get back what you paid for it.

I would wait til they publish the guidance to the scheme and then if it’s going to be illegal surrender it and claim the compensation.

The new legislation is here:

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehill

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
One interesting piece from that document is this:

"a blade of over 8 inches in length (the length of the blade being the straight-
line distance from the top of the handle to the tip of the blade)"

This shows how the law is saying blade lengths are measured in law, which renders knives like the Boker Plus XS illegal for EDC.

At least it's clear about it though. And it does make sense, because this is mechanically what counts when it comes to stabbing wounds.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
The new ban on zombie-style knives and machetes will only apply to the Gerber BMF if it has a blade length over 8” I am not sure what version yours is, but understand there were versions with a 7.75” and 9” blade.

The 9” will become illegal to own on 24 September.

A surrender and compensation scheme will launch in August and if you still have the receipt / proof of value you should be able to get back what you paid for it.

I would wait til they publish the guidance to the scheme and then if it’s going to be illegal surrender it and claim the compensation.

The new legislation is here:

This states:

"—(1) For the purposes of paragraph 1(sa), the specified features are—
(a) a serrated cutting edge (other than a serrated cutting edge of up to 2 inches next to
the handle);
(b) more than one hole in the blade;
(c) spikes;
(d) more than two sharp points in the blade (other than a sharp point of a kind
specified in sub-paragraph (2))"

Is the serrated edge on the Gerber longer than 2 inches? If not, it doesn't fall under the legislation.

Kiri

Dec 5, 2010
London
No it’s not. It’s saying that for this bit of legislation, which applies to zombie-style knives and machetes, that is how they are measuring blade length, for the purpose of that definition.

EDC knives are governed by the wording in s139(2)(3) CJA1988 which clearly refers to the cutting edge of the blade:

2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
No it’s not. It’s saying that for this bit of legislation, which applies to zombie-style knives and machetes, that is how they are measuring blade length, for the purpose of that definition.

EDC knives are governed by the wording in s139(2)(3) CJA1988 which clearly refers to the cutting edge of the blade:

2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.
I would be glad to be wrong, if this is the case.

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Have read all the replies. Interesting.

Gerber BMF
The blade excluding the large handle is 7.75".
The saw back is 3" in length

Have no receipt

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Must admit that after seeing knives handed in by well meaning people during "Arms Amnestys" then prominently displayed on tables.
I would honestly rather turn a knife to slag with a oxy cutter than let the police display a working tool as a weapon.
They lose a little bit more of my respect every single time I see that.
Many times they aren't even illegal anyway.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I agree with @demographic, hand in a tool in an amnesty, have it displayed as a weapon and next thing you know the public views tools as weapons.

Regarding the EDC laws, as I read it, the law states 3” cutting edge. Hence does not include things like finger choil ricassos.
Just because a different piece of legislation states “blade length” and how it is measured does not automatically mean that this is the meaning of pre-existing legislation that uses different wording. One day, maybe, as a result of new case law….wouldn’t fret about it just yet though.

Kiri

Dec 5, 2010
London
This states:

"—(1) For the purposes of paragraph 1(sa), the specified features are—
(a) a serrated cutting edge (other than a serrated cutting edge of up to 2 inches next to
the handle);
(b) more than one hole in the blade;
(c) spikes;
(d) more than two sharp points in the blade (other than a sharp point of a kind
specified in sub-paragraph (2))"

Is the serrated edge on the Gerber longer than 2 inches? If not, it doesn't fall under the legislation.

I would be glad to be wrong, if this is the case.
In fairness, although the law states it’s the cutting edge that is relevant, I personally won’t edc a knife unless the whole blade length is sub 3”. This is purely because I have no confidence that the average police officer will know / understand the law well enough to make that distinction. I can do without the hassle of having to explain it and having to wait around until they find someone in authority who can explain it to them.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
In fairness, although the law states it’s the cutting edge that is relevant, I personally won’t edc a knife unless the whole blade length is sub 3”. This is purely because I have no confidence that the average police officer will know / understand the law well enough to make that distinction. I can do without the hassle of having to explain it and having to wait around until they find someone in authority who can explain it to them.

Yes, I tend to play it safe too. Even just getting arrested and then released without charge isn’t something I fancy.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I think the issue with this particular law is that it’s yet to be tested in court, so unlikely anybody in authority will be able to explain it.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Absolutely, sadly I don’t think it’s of high enough priority to be looked at to get an update.
The 2024 zombie legislation states tip to handle, so I would imagine the EDC rules would be the same if it were to be amended

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE