vikings ,......

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have never watched Vikings. Living in Western Norway and being called Jarle (jarl = viking earl) I probably should, but the fear of seeing man wearing helmets with horns (they didn't) etc has kept me away...

Don't worry that is one bit that they do get right.

As usual with this level of production they attempt to portray large scale events with a cast of tens and the accents are a bit hairy, think Anglo/American actor tries to imitate modern Scandinavian speaking American English and you'll understand what I mean but otherwise you'll probably enjoy it

My biggest grumble, if I had to pick one, is that they have mounted their ship rudders on the Larbord instead of the Steorbord ("Steor" (rudder or steering oar) and "Bord" (ship's side.)) which gives you an idea of the level of detail I usually look for.

Lofotr02.jpg

This is where it should be.

ship2.jpg

I'm surprised our resident Boatman hasn't pointed that out, it's quite a big error as that is the reason that the right hand side of a ship is still called Starboard today. The side they have mounted them in the series was the side brought in to "port" for loading which lead to the term Larboard from "Laden" (loading) and "Bord" (side). I believe modern sailors changed the term to "Port" to avoid confusion between the similar sounding words, but I still know some old salts that continue to use Larboard.

(Note: the second image above is shot from the quay near the bow of the ship, the rudder can just be seen behind the mast near the stern. I've sailed this ship as second Steersman, she's a beautiful replica of the Gokstad ship.)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you want to see a really terrible movie about Vikings then might I suggest Vikings starring Lee Majors. It has the whole gamut of misconceptions about the people and time and is so awful that it has a place in my collection as an example. (The whole thing is available on Youtube, I haven't posted a link as there may be a bit of flesh shown at one point and it's a family forum)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"No insight.......truly travelled by ship", admittedly the canopy over the rowers annoyed me the most so didn't really notice the steering but one can only take in so much rubbish, well done for spotting it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It is such an unnecessary error as the boat builder could not have been unaware of it, so I can only presume it has been done as a result of some unknown directorial decision.

Would this bother a layman? Probably not and that is the point. A series like this is not designed to satisfy experts, it's designed for mass audience entertainment..

As for the rest of it, the production values are generally cinematic while the casting is dramatic as is often the case with such features. This leads to the usual "cast of tens" problems. Keeping the shots close and tight helps to some degree but there's not much else that can be done about that without budget breaking CGI.

The costume has the usual issues. We call it the Jabberwocky Effect. (Everyone in the past wore brown or black and was covered with s****. ) There is no reason to assume that they didn't wear colour just as much as us, it was just likely to be less bright as natural dyes tend to fade faster.

Ultimately costume departments throughout the industry suffer the same problem. Costume designers always want to put their own stamp on a production and only ever use historical sources as "inspiration" Never expect them to get it right because that would simply not be creative enough for them.

Since armour usually falls under the costume departments responsibilities this leads to some of the more outlandish creations that we see in films which are otherwise quite well propped. (13th Viking is a good example which springs to mind.) in this respect, the general scarcity of armour depicted, at least amongst the Vikings, seems quite plausible

The properties department usually works to a different ethos. For them there is more prestige in creating the right look. That doesn't always mean they get it right but it is often closer. Property managers have recently become aware of the traders and craftspeople supplying the re-enactment markets, which is an improvement but they still rely heavily on the cheaper "ethnic" suppliers which leads to a fusion of the good and the bad. Overall, while being far from "accurate" the visual effect and feel of this series is not too bad, although the obvious gas log hearth in the main longhouse does irritate me every time I see it.

Plot wise, there is an interesting blend of the mythic with the historic. The edges between the characters and their beliefs, both heathen and Christian, is distinctly blurred and that seems completely in keeping with the ancient mindset as far as we are ever able to understand it. This ambiguity is also present in much of the Nordic and English saga sources too. It is impossible to address this period of history without some reference to the shifting religious structures of Europe and Scandinavia at the time and I think they have written this quite well for a modern lay audience. Inevitably, historians, archaeologists and other enthusiasts will find plenty of things to find fault with.

A point has been made that some of the mass audience often looks upon such entertainment as being factually correct in some way, which is a fair point. This is exactly the problem that I have with the dangerous antics of Grylls in his pseudo factual "entertainment" programs.

As far as this series is concerned, I think that they have created a format that gets more right than it gets wrong. Although it does indeed concentrate upon the usual dramatic stereotypes for the sake of action, compared to most such offerings, I think it does at least hint at an agricultural back story. (Burning of the grain stores, negotiating for farm land etc.)

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Note: the second image above is shot from the quay near the bow of the ship, the rudder can just be seen behind the mast near the stern. I've sailed this ship as second Steersman, she's a beautiful replica of the Gokstad ship.

I have passed by viking ship replicas when out boating, would really like to try it one day.

Speaking of boats, have you ever tried the smaller traditional Norwegian rowing boats, eg a færing?

800px-Sunnm%C3%B8rsf%C3%A6ring_-_Her%C3%B8y_kystmuseum.jpg

Jun 7, 2015
Glasgow
What was the problem with the canopy?
I ask as a regular boat fisherman on Loch Lomond, some episodes with pretty scary waves on the menu, Ive had to cover the cockpit area with the cover usually used to cover her up at the end of the day. Not so much to keep me 'dry', but to fend off large amounts of water trying to flood the boat from a following wave.
I cant imagine a hardened sea faring viking not using every trick in the book, if it worked?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE