vikings ,......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Good show, season 2 seems like it is going nowhere at first and then it all kicks off nicely, i think this show is at least partially responsible for the resurgence of females giving us beardy blokes the come to bed eyes

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
We watched the first episode last week, and could not get on with it, I guess something happens in later ones

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Both seasons are fantastic entertainment IMHO, I don't care if its historically accurate to be honest as the shows are just so enjoyable to watch.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm in the process of rewatching both series while stuck in hospital. Great stuff, as Rik says there may be some historical howlers but it's well paced, great scenery, some lovely axes and seax as well as great looking halls and farms. Thoroughly enjoying it third time round.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've missed a few episodes as my viewing schedule leaves something to be desired. But I've thoroughly enjoyed what I have seen! TBH, Historical accuracy is rarely as entertaining as fiction anyway.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Hey it's easily as historically accurate as say ..........

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves or Gladiator but an entertaining watch all the same, i even enjoyed them rowing up the Tyne even though they had no Geordie accents, since they had thrown out eh historical accuracy that doesn't matter either does it?

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
I really enjoyed both series, the second one got a bit surreal and I can see the director is really enjoying himself, The blood eagle scene I really enjoyed the cinematography.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I've watched the first 4 and really enjoyed it, but can't believe it wasn't till episode 4 that I realised Vladmir Kulich was in it.

He played Buliwyf in The Thirteenth Warrior, which is a terrible film, but one I love.

"Lo, there do I see my father..."

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Bit thin, I thought, "Shieldwall!" and they all cower behind their shields and the Northumbrians don't cut their feet off or run round to the side to attack them. How did they know where to draw the circles to show the right latitude on their sun compass. The actual method of navigating by travelling on the correct line of latitude is fascinating. Once you know which point in, say, Norway, corresponds to a desirable destination in Britain then you can travel up and down the Norwegian coast to the right point to take off from.

Just so much else is wrong that I looked for the drama to make it worth watching but the plot and acting is so poor that it isn't.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Bit thin, I thought, "Shieldwall!" and they all cower behind their shields and the Northumbrians don't cut their feet off or run round to the side to attack them. How did they know where to draw the circles to show the right latitude on their sun compass. The actual method of navigating by travelling on the correct line of latitude is fascinating. Once you know which point in, say, Norway, corresponds to a desirable destination in Britain then you can travel up and down the Norwegian coast to the right point to take off from.

Just so much else is wrong that I looked for the drama to make it worth watching but the plot and acting is so poor that it isn't.

so much wrong with this statement, the circles don't need to be drawn in any particular place, all they have to do is keep the shadow touching the same circle, they know that if it is longer or shorter they've strayed off course. Dark age tactics were rudimentary at best most battle ended up being shoving matches until one side broke, which is when the most casualties are taken and is shown quite accurately. Also the acting has been praised by several noted critics, especially Travis Fimmel's performances

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Wrong sized circle and you go where? Might as well just sail West which is not too difficult. But, as traffic had been crossing the North Sea since at least the Iron Age they would have known about Britain.

Dark Age fighting is a bit of an unknown quantity but locked up shields where you can't even see your opponent would seem dangerous anywhere. Bryhtnoth organises his men carefully in the poem Battle of Maldon.

Then Byrhtnoth began to array men there,
rode and gave counsel, taught warriors
how they must stand and that stead hold,
bade them their round-shields rightly hold
fast with hands, not at all frightened.
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Where do you get the idea that battles were ever shoving matches? Certainly in reenactments with blunt weapons but sharp pointy things make all the difference.

What then of those ridiculous tents covering the oarsmen? If the wind was favourable they would have had the sail up but if it was against them then the flapping cloth would have been a hindrance if not downright dangerous.

[/FONT]

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Wrong sized circle and you go where? Might as well just sail West which is not too difficult. But, as traffic had been crossing the North Sea since at least the Iron Age they would have known about Britain.

Dark Age fighting is a bit of an unknown quantity but locked up shields where you can't even see your opponent would seem dangerous anywhere. Bryhtnoth organises his men carefully in the poem Battle of Maldon.

Then Byrhtnoth began to array men there,
rode and gave counsel, taught warriors
how they must stand and that stead hold,
bade them their round-shields rightly hold
fast with hands, not at all frightened.

Where do you get the idea that battles were ever shoving matches? Certainly in reenactments with blunt weapons but sharp pointy things make all the difference.

What then of those ridiculous tents covering the oarsmen? If the wind was favourable they would have had the sail up but if it was against them then the flapping cloth would have been a hindrance if not downright dangerous.

they obviously don't spend the entire battle hiding behind their shields just when they were being shot at with arrows, the 'shield wall' was a shoving match because it was several ranks deep for the most part, with the rearward ranks pushing forwards there was no room for fancy swordplay, you just tried to stick your enemy wherever you could. Troops in the shield wall felt secure being shoulder to shoulder with each other, but once the shield wall broke they tended to run, which is when the most casualties were taken, hard to fight when you are running away (see The Battle of Stamford Bridge for a really good example). The 'ridiculous tent' is the sail, when it's tipping down with rain they could remove the sail and rig it as a shelter.

The size of the circle is irrelevant as long as they are equidistant from each other, like I said they only have to keep the shadow at the same circle (the sun at the same angle) to stay on course. As you said once they reached a destination they liked they could note which circle it was at then on return trips sail up the coast to the right point then sail across

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE