Viking Style Belt

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey... that is a fancy looking belt! Particularly like the end tab... very fitting! :D

Now.... about that colour........ :rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm gradually increasing the status of a lot of my Viking kit for events.

I usually portray a trader/craftsman/sacred storyteller (Kaupmaðr, hagleiksmaðr og goðmálugrskáld) so have reasonably high standard stuff, especially when demonstrating silver work. The problem now is that some of the stuff I'm making is of a standard that might be owned by Jarls or Kings so I need to have the sort of kit that is consistent with contact at that level of society.

Fortunately the embroidery that Debs is doing on my soft kit is well up to the mark so I only have to concentrate on the accessories.

This belt is the latest upgrade and this sort of red colour would probably come from cochineal or kermes which would have been very expensive indeed.

On a similar but unrelated note, I was once told that the reason so many Norwegian houses are painted red is that it used to be the most expensive colour of paint so one way to show off you status was to paint your house red. As the price of red paint reduced, everyone else copied the practice to show they were just as good.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think you'll ever get that ultimate Viking bling an Ulfberht sword? Always like the idea that they were so coveted that there have been fakes identified. Have an idea in my head of some shonky proto Delboy blacksmith selling fake branded swords out of his seabag in York market.
The pictures you put up of your stall a month or two back had me pouring over them. Looked a better collection than I've seen in most museums. Still drooling over the masks you made for your axes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I just think that the people on this forum appreciate beautiful things perhaps a little more than the average bod on the street, and the best way to have beautiful things is to make them yourself.

I couldn't agree more :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Think you'll ever get that ultimate Viking bling an Ulfberht sword? Always like the idea that they were so coveted that there have been fakes identified. Have an idea in my head of some shonky proto Delboy blacksmith selling fake branded swords out of his seabag in York market.
The pictures you put up of your stall a month or two back had me pouring over them. Looked a better collection than I've seen in most museums. Still drooling over the masks you made for your axes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I have a copy of a Caroligian sword found at Steinsvik that suits me quite well.

As for the pictures

Silverworking-Display.jpg

Whitby-Evening.jpg

Do you mean these?

Scarborough-LHE15.jpg

Scarborough-LHE15-II.jpg

These?

Hastings-2015-2.jpg

Hastings-2015-1.jpg

or these?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE