Viking Style Belt

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The weather has been a bit miserable around here lately so I haven't been doing much carving outside. So I turned my hand to a bit of leather work instead.

Birka-Style-Belt.jpg

I've had a hankering for one of these Gotlandic style belts for years and recently got the plates I needed to construct it from the Re-enactors Market in Coventry.

I needed to dye and treat the leather, two strips sewn together to enclose the pins attaching the plates. I also needed to make the buckle plate and the ring for attaching a knife which you can just see on the left.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Shiny!

That's pretty amazing and the colour scheme really works. I know I'm a boring old fart when it comes to leather and like burnished brown but that really stands out and is very nice. Think a lot of folk forget how important colour must've been, mainly due to film costume designers making everything either grey or mud brown.

Cheers for letting us see it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you're going to Peacock, then Peacock with class............You've certainly achieved that, very nice indeed :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like the yellow that comes from onion skins, don't know if it works on leather though? Plus I don't think that it would contrast as nicely as the colour you chose.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE