Viking Pattern Fire Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hillwalker

Nov 28, 2004
the Wilds of Lough Gur
Hi All,

This is my first post to this wonderful site.

I have just had a Viking firesteel set arrive. First impressions where very good however I cannot get it to spark, have been trying most of this afternoon and have managed to produce exactly 3 sparks.

As I may be the one at fault here and not the Firesteel I thought I would ask for advice before contacting the supplier.

Many Thanks
Hillwalker

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
its all in the wrist buddy :D make sure your flint as a sharp edge, you can do this by using your steel by holding it flat and sharply tapping the edge in a downward motion to remove any dull edge it may have then holding your charcloth on the top with your thumb, briskly clip the edge of the flint with the steels striking edge also in a downward motion using the wrist to effect the flick, this method works well its all about practice when the steel is forged sometimes carbon is brought to the surface also this may take a few flicks to remove to reach bear steel, give it a go, but if the steel is not producing good sparks the temper may be incorrect, but i couldnt say with out seeing your steel..hope this helps matey..

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Hi Hillwalker

Like many things its much easier to demonstrate than describe, how are you using it?

Best way IMO is to hold the flint in your left hand (assuming right handed) with a small piece of char cloth on top of the flint but underneath your thumb, hold the firesteel in your right hand and bring it down in an arc so that it just scrapes a sharp edge of the flint, it should throw quite a few sparks directly onto the cloth. The angle that you present the edge of the flint to the steel does make a difference but it is not massively critical when youre starting out, a bit of practice should make perfect. Also you dont need to hit the flint hard, imagine youre just trying to shave the edge of the steel.

As for the steel itself it could be too soft (can you scratch the striking edge easily with a file?) or it could be the wrong type of steel, or it could even be oily.

This website has an illustration of how to do it, together with pics of genuine firesteels

Viking steels

A good steel with a good technique should have the sparks hitting the flooor from a standing position.

PS...I didnt supply the steel in question ;)

hillwalker

Nov 28, 2004
the Wilds of Lough Gur
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have followed your tips to the letter with no improvement, just the odd single spark and a piece of flint that has greatly reduced in Size. I have tried striking the flint with the steel softly, firmly and quite hard with no discernible difference between the results.

In answer to your question Jason01 the edge does seem to mark easily with a file but is not oily.

Will try to post some pictures when I work out how too, until then I will keep practicing.

PS It was bought from a site in Sweden

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I routinely use Viking style firesteels for my work and have tried many such steels.

Almost all of the ones I have found for sale are really poor.

There is a blacksmith called Dave Barnes who works at Murton Park who produces the only traditional steels I can personally recommend. Possibly because he supplies people like me who use these things for a living.

Ps. Have to say I have not tried one of Jason's steels but he certainly seems to know what he is about more than most blacksmiths.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
hillwalker said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have followed your tips to the letter with no improvement, just the odd single spark and a piece of flint that has greatly reduced in Size. I have tried striking the flint with the steel softly, firmly and quite hard with no discernible difference between the results.

In answer to your question Jason01 the edge does seem to mark easily with a file but is not oily.

Will try to post some pictures when I work out how too, until then I will keep practicing.

PS It was bought from a site in Sweden

It does sound like you might have a duff one there mate, it shouldnt be as difficult as you describe. If you have an old file you could try that for comparison, just dont use the tang end which will be soft. Failing that I'd be happy to send you a piece of hardened steel to compare it to, plenty in my scrap bin ;)

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
maverick said:
Nice informative site Jason!
do you sell any firesteels like the ones on your site? if so you have a buyer :D

Thanks Maverick :) I'll be putting some more stuff up when I get chance but website design is not my favourite pasttime ;)

I do make steels to order, PM sent,

Best

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My firesteel turned up today, I had a quick blast on it and got showers of sparks first time. I can only thank Jason for sending this to me and getting it here so quickly, I think he sent it on Monday, that's not bad to Germany I think you'll agree!!

Also, this is the second one he has sent, but Royal Mail or BFPO have lost the original one, which is a bit of a nuisance. So thanks very much Jason.

I'm off to Canada in the next few days on a military exercise, and this will be going with me. Hopefully, I will get R+R out to the Rockies and use this as my primary fire lighting source. I will review it properly as soon as I get back, and hopefully have some nice photos to put up of the terrain and the firesteel in operation. For now, I'll do a first impressions to whet the appetite.

It was safely packaged in a jiffy bag and the three bits inside were wrapped aswell. The firesteel is good looking, I love the elegant curves, and it came with a small plastic bag full of charcloth and a nice piece of flint to get me started. The missus bought me a leather drawstring pouch in suede for my fire kit, and I love the way it all looks together.

I took a small piece of charcloth and rested it atop the flint, and held it in place with my left thumb. Then I skimmed the flint in a sweeping arc with the firesteel, and the charcloth took the spark straight away! Is this beginners luck? I tried another piece. Sweep, strike, spark, glow. Fantastic!! I reckon my daughter could do this. Hang on, lets try.

Well, she's only four, and she didn't light the charcloth, but she got sparks from it all by herself!! Well done Jo'anne!!

I can just imagine this being used by an actual viking, starting his fire up to get a joint of meat cooked, washed down with copious amounts of mead and debauchery, excellent!! The firesteel is addictive, I'm glad I also made some charcloth, I can't get over the magic of making fire!!

This is priced the same as the woodlore firesteel, but looks much more traditional, if you look at the ones on rays' site, the arms seem to be swept back, whereas Jason has neatly tucked the arms back onto the firesteel. It just looks better, trust me!!

I will be playing with this for the rest of the evening, the missus will be pleased!! Cheers once again Jason, and if anyone is thinking of buying one, you can't go wrong with one of his firesteels. More info when I get back from Canada!!

Cheers

Spamel

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
414_1473_1.jpg

That's one of Jason's on the left and the Woodlore version on the right.
I had the Woodlore first and thought it pretty good but when i got Jason's i realsied what it all about.
The Woodlore is gone and Jason's is here to stay.
Top steel and a top bloke.

rb

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Do you happen to have a website address? I'm after a new one to use during my reenactments as the my current one isn't that good!!

Grez..

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
OK you all convinced me lol
I just sent payment and look forward to my new toy, oops I mean essential peace of equipment :D

Has anybody thought about using the steel as an ornamental but practical peace of clothing jewellery like a boncho or shawl pin for example?
If you got it flaunt it!!

hillwalker

Nov 28, 2004
the Wilds of Lough Gur
jason01 said:
It does sound like you might have a duff one there mate, it shouldnt be as difficult as you describe. If you have an old file you could try that for comparison, just dont use the tang end which will be soft. Failing that I'd be happy to send you a piece of hardened steel to compare it to, plenty in my scrap bin ;)

Hi All,

Jason01 kindly sent me a piece of scrap hardened steel to compare with the Viking fire steel that I had purchased from Sweden that I was having problems with. Well there is no comparison, I get a shower of sparks every time with jason01's scrap and still next to none from the supposed real thing. Lesson learn't!!!!

I think Jason01 will be getting an order in the near future for one of his designs. If he's scrap is this good carn't wait to see how the real mcoy shapes up

Regards
Hillwalker

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Jo'anne got sparks today, not bad for a four year old!! She has a bit of difficulty with the tool which is to be expected with a young 'un, but what she lacks in skill she makes up for in determination. The missus had a go and lit a piece of char cloth in a few seconds, and she doesn't like bushcraft that much!! I had to wrestle it back off of her afterwards though!!!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, it makes the forging of em a pleasure and its nice to know theyre being used :D

Spamel, I'm glad your steel arrived in time, just! Have fun in Canada.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE