Viking on the Tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
Very nice :) Made me realise that I would be hopeless at demonstrating as I can't think and talk at the same time, hehe. The Lofotr looks like a fab place! I'm hoping to visit Norway next year (to visit friends and trace ancestry), will definitely try and stop there!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Good stuff, I remember seeing you do that at the Loch Achray meet, I recall thinking it looked very relaxed ie no tension in the arms/hands.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Definitely my favourite way of making fire, interesting that you move the flint on the steel as opposed to the steel on the flint as I do. I seem to recall posts made in the past with regards to that different style and the different shapes of steels as well. I've tried using plumbers hemp as a source of fine tinder but it just smoked like hell, where do you get the good stuff from Gary? I'll take a look, mine is probably part synthetic!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds like your tow is a bit damp Spam, whack it in the microwave if you want to dry it quick otherwise careful positioning near the fire will do the trick.

If you can get it, pure linen fibre works a bit better than hemp but it's not sold in B+Q

That method comes from demonstrating the technique, if I do it the other way everything goes on in the hand where you can't see it, my way I can show sixty kids what's happening.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Excellent video. Must try your technique for deoming the skill to the Scouts Gary - as you say, it allows more to see what is going on.

Spam, I buy plumbers hemp from my local B & Q.

Simon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Can't remember where I got my plumbers hemp to be honest, but even out of the packet from a dry warehouse it hasn't worked! I'll keep an eye out for other stuff that could be pressed into service, although the missus is getting slightly annoyed by now with my bags of cat tail fluff, dried grass, etc all over the place!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice demo Gary.

I like the small amount of the two stages of tinder thats needed, and the very quick result to flame. Ive been playing a lot with natural tinders, mainly using rosebay seed material to place the charcloth onto then grasses, within a birch bark tube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE