Viking blowing horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
As Father's Day looms, I've decided to get my dad a Viking blowing horn. I'm sure as many of you know the horns were used in a multitude of ways and by many different cultures too, but my father is confident that our family has descended from the Norwegian Vikings which is why I chose the horn (And they're a pretty cool thing to have anyway).
I was just thinking about inscribing it with a name in the Viking language (as I know they named weapons) however I have no idea how to inscribe it or any idea of the language, which is why I have turned to the good people of BCUK
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I should think Wayland would be your man for this one; if he doesn't see the thread it may be worth your while to drop him a PM :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
For the inscription, I have used a compass (circle drawing ones) and a fine awl before and the seem to work the best for me as opposed to a carving knife. For the horn itself, TK.Max had some genuine cows horn in a few weeks back, so you could get one, cut the fine end OSS, smooth it over and there's your horn- I reckons that'd work, and they were quite cheap too.

As Mac said, Wayland is your man!

Hope this helps! :)

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
I wasn't quite sure, probably my surname, Swaine. I did a bit of research but it was inconclusive with a few variations, thanks a lot Wayland

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
It would seem so, right I'll be pondering the choices in name variation between now and when it arrives in the post, and I've found some runic translators so I think I'm set. Thanks a lot for your help guys, and I owe you one Wayland

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
Tengu - I don't think he'll be using it an awful lot, it's more of an ornamental piece that he can get a little bit of use out of, but thanks anyway any input is welcome

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
That's brilliant, After reading that I intend to use the younger futhhark, but there is no translation for the English letter V. I think I'll write Sven which, in the baby name links is old Norse for swain. So my old Nordic name cannot be written in old Norse?

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
Well it's not going to be professionally checked or anything, and he's a sports scientist not a historian, so that it is, cheers Wayland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE