Tinder horn.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Carrying on with the horn work after securing a bundle on the Bay I thought I would try something different. Inspired by the old powder horns I thought I would try a tinder horn.

A combination of materials including highland coo horn, leather, brass, copper, sterling silver and burr elm.

Only 7 hours work in it. I don't know why either, but it was fun to make although my elbow is still troubling me :(

I started off thinking I would be able to scrimshaw some of it but when I cut the top part off I saw that the wall thickness was superb. So, as I sanded it back I ended up taking all the white off. Thanks for looking.

024 (600x433).jpg

022 (600x315).jpg

023 (316x600).jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh! I do like that! Great work! If you haven't got it I've jpgs of the 30 odd page chapter on powder horns and making them I sent Tengu. Just drop us a Pm with a address to send them to if they would be of interest.

ATB

Tom

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Superb! Really elegant product you have made there, might have to make something similar for myself, as I have a horn at home and so far haven't done anything with it.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks folks.

Dreadhead:- there had to be a rivet and a Sam Browne in there somewher:)
Baelfore:- it's burr elm. I eventuallt got some oil based leather dye and used that to colour it. I read somehere about it being used on a kuksa that I had admired.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its really good but I suspect that historically most tinder horns wouuld have been much less refined.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE