Victorian Bakers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thank grud it's on iPlayer! I was really looking forward to that but totally forgot what day it was to be on. Cheers for the reminder.

I wonder if there's a book to go with planned?

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been baking bready things for no more than 15 years, mixer or just a bowl & a stick. Pizza dough/crust, Pita, Pasta and so on.
Everybody should have a go at this. Dumb, maybe, but coming out of the oven, I am still amazed that I can do it consistently.

I'm not convinced that the line in the prayer has anything at all to do with bread.
Instead, I like to think that it's a request for all things which nourish us, each and every day.
Both the body and the spirit need feeding.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Watched it today on catch up and other than the presenters, who I don't think really added to it, the overall programme was brilliant. A voiceover would have been better as I think the presenters just got in the way for the most part.

It was nice to see enthusiastic bakers involved who didn't whinge or whine, didn't give their entire life stories and just got on with the task at hand.

Best bit was learning about the wheats and the farmers... that was fascinating... but thoroughly enjoyed watching the whole process from ingredients through to selling the bread... that made it that bit more special... the fact they did what would have been done at the time... wandering the area to sell the bread they had made.

If every episode is as packed full of the process and features that same group of four doing their stuff, I'll be glued to the screen.

Bit that made me laugh was the fella who wanted matches and the other fella saying he knew someone... don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But very much worth a watch for those who haven't.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Caught this on IPlayer today too. Thoroughly enjoyed it too. The next village over from me still has the old communal bakers oven standing, no longer used sadly. Was nice to see a bit about heritage grains, was thinking Tombear would be jumping up and down with excitement at that. Funny them talking about how barley flour has gone from poor person food to being seen as very posh and artisan now. A lot of food has gone down that road, oysters, seaweed and the likes.
Well worth a look and typifies what the BBC does best.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE