Vibram Five Fingers shoes - long term review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Mark, thanks for this review.
I must admit I didn't know about these shoes, and I think I will take a nearer look if I can find them in some store.
Anyway sooner of later I'm pretty sure I will try them.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've owned a pair since last August and they work for me. I've used them for walking and running and they really do make you feel that you are free of heavy shoes.

Running requires a different technique from running in trainers but i found it easy to adapt. In fact it felt very natural.

Walking is also good, even walking fairly long distances. Last October I walked up Snowdon in them along with a pair of feelmax toesocks on a wet and cold day and had no problems.

Didn't wear them through the winter though...

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
I bought a pair of winter ones some time ago now, and use them (or just barefoot which is better again when the terrain permits) for hiking and fell running in the Lake District. I used them this winter in all the snow and they were great! Although it did make giggle leaving tracks that looked like some nutter was walking around barefoot at -10 or something, in the snow ;-)

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Oh, as for the toe stubbing comments, without re-reading the whole thread I think some of us covered more about that and other barefoot running stuff in this thread if you're interested :)! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43988&highlight=barefoot[/URL]

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Tried climbing at Ratho indoor climbing centre today in mine, and they were ok, but I'd prefer my climbing shoes, The sole doesnt have the same stickiness, but other than that, wore them for the weekend, feet feel fine...
Also wore them to the Steve Harley concert, and got slagged by friends..... but the music was fine

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Nice review. maybe I can have then custom-made? :)
17062010.jpg

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Heard a guy on the radio last week speaking about running bare foot.

After years of running he was taught by a certain tribe how to run barefoot over various terrains - the technique is different, no clubbing your heels into the ground. He said that since then he has given up wearing shoes for running, has had far fewer injuries, is faster & can cover far greater distances.

I guess his feet are pretty hard though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was told these shoes are amazing for canoeing in. I wasn't convinced until I was bought a pair for Christmas. Amazingly comfortable for prolonged periods no matter what position you sit in. You seem to have far better control when standing or getting in and out too. Brilliant bits of kit. I wouldn't wear the to shop in Fortnums though.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
How are they in colder weather? How will they stand up to sweaty feet? Quick drying?

I have a pair of KSO's and I love mine.

The coldest weather I wore mine in was in the Pacific Northwest. It was in the 40's and 50's at night. And it was wet. No problem.

They do dry quickly.

And they do have an anti-microbial something or other built in. However, after heavy and sweaty use over an eight day period (I wore mine every other day to let it air out), it was stinky after the 3rd or 4th full day's wear. You couldn't tell with my feet in em, but when I took them off, I could smell my feet. But then again, I had them for several months already by then. When I got home, they got their first washing. Lucky for me, my wife washed them. ;D She said she washed them twice.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I switched to minimal/barefoot running style about 7 months ago and use these interchangably with Nike free 3.0 shoes. After initial adaptation (those calves!) they are stellar for that. After about 7 km, I get a slight irritation with my right outer toe, but I guess that's due to an inner glue point with my pair. For regular forest walks, they can't be beat for stealthiness and comfort. I see more wildlife on my runs too, often surprising them. Less pounding does that :)

Only disadvantange with KSO'is the smell if you use them a lot ;) I'll certainly buy a second pair of KSO Treks - which are made out of thin leather.

-Emile

Last edited:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
After reading this thread and looking up reviews online, I was surprised to find a lot of people saying they used to suffer from shin splints, but after running in these they no longer had a problem. Their theory was that when running in trainers, you tend to land on your heels. Trainers restrict your ankle movement (by "supporting" them) so you're forced to land on your heels as your foot won't flex forward to land on your toes. The shock goes straight up your shin. When running barefoot (or in Vibram five fingers) you tend to land on your toes and the spring of your foot absorbs some of the shock. However, running in this way uses different muscles to trainer running, so it takes a little while to get used to it.

I gave up running some years ago because I was suffering from shin splints and painful swollen ankles, so I was very interested in the reviews I read and thought it worth a try. I bought a pair of Vibram five fingers FLOW http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/flow.aspx and have been using them both over a month. I go for a short run twice a week (about half a mile - I'm keeping a record for myself on google maps, if anyone is interested: My run) and I use them whenever I am kayaking. I haven't suffered from sore ankles nor from shin splints. Happy customer :)

I bought them off the makers website - there's a really useful size conversion chart that gives instructions at the bottom of the chart so you can measure your feet and decide what size to get based on the chart. I'll reproduce the measurement information here in case anyone has trouble finding it, as there is also some information about foot shapes that won't fit into a vibram five finger shoe:

1) Stand with your heels flush against a flat, vertical wall.
2) Slide a ruler under each foot and measure the distance from the wall to the tip of the longest toe.
3) Take the longer of the two measurements
4) If the foot length varies more than 0.42cm, it will be difficult to get a pair of shoes to fit both feet.
5) If your second toe is more than 0.42cm longer than your big toe it will be difficult to get a precise fit.

r.e. smell, mine have just had their first wash. Into the washing machine, and air-dried on the washing line. They're now almost sweet again. When these wear out (no signs of them going yet) I'll definitely be buying another pair. I was surprised how sturdy the soles are - fantastic for the rockier beaches when I'm out sea kayaking and coming in to land. I was using wetsuit boots prior to getting my vibram five fingers, but the five fingers are definitely superior as the soles are thicker whilst still being flexible.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Thanks for the review.

I've tried a couple of months of barefoot running after reading lots about it on the net, and joining a google discussion group. Barefoot Ted being the most noteworthy advocate. Anyway, I don't do massive distances, really only ever as much as 3 miles x 3 times a week. I took on board all the advice, and started by dropping down to my basic 2 mile run. I would run 1.5 miles in my trainers (squidgy soft kayano 13's), and then take my shoes and socks off for running the final half mile. I had good days, and sore days, but I was very please at the almost instant effect it had on my technique and posture whilst running.

It's also worth mentioning that this has been for the past couple of months (september and october), during cold & wet conditions, and running on modern tarmac pavements. I can honestly say that I loved the feeling of being able to run without the shoes. I think it has something to do with all the nerve endings in your feet - seems to give you quite a boost!

Anyway, I was finding that my feet, although not cut, bruised, or grazed, were taking about 4 or 5 days for the 'aching/soreness' to subside. It wasn't painful, it's just that they were letting me know I needed to rest them for a while. This progress was too slow for me, as I needed to loose some weight fast, so i've switched back to the kayanos :(

Because of your review, I think I'm going to invest in a pair of these, as I think they'll reduce recovery time compared to complete barefoot running, as there isn't the exposure element.

That said, I did also think of VFF's as the emperors new clothes.... why invent a barefoot running shoe? you're born with a perfectly good pair! If puncture proofing is the issue, then I guess huaraches would be a lot cheaper.

Anyway I hope that bit of gibberish provided an insight to someone... lol ;)

oh, p.s. the reason I started barefoot was because I injured my achilles, and someone recommend it as a way to stay injury free. the weight I gained was due to a 6 week lay-off from running.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
farmershort - I certainly don't regret mine (even though it seemed a lot of money at the time!) Let us know how it goes :)

Pierr - you're right they're not French, but they're not US either. Vibram S.p.A. is an Italian company. "Vibram" comes from the founder's name: Vitale Bramani. First 2 letters of the first name, first 4 letters of the last name. According the google translate, the Italian for "fingers" is dita
Italian for toes is dita dei piedi
I'm guessing "fingers on the feet"...

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
I took the plunge and bought some from ebay! £48, brand new with tags - chap tried them on in the house and couldn't get on with them for martial arts apparently...

I'm shoe size 9, but using the measuring guide on the VFF website, I needed a size 8, so that's what I' bought. They should arrive today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I get on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE